Renzo Gracie vs. Two 'Muggers'

Seems Renzo Gracie tweeted an entire encounter with a pair of alleged muggers:

Comments? I am assuming that this is legit since I don’t twitter.

Big question then is how much jail time do you think he’ll get for it?

– jj

What’re the odds this is even legit? People make shit upall the time. Remember when Flex Wheeler said he took out 2 dudes that tried to jack his car with nunchuckas? Not saying he’s lying’cause crazy shit does happen, just something to think spot. He might be selling a “how to take out street muggers” book in a fewmonths.

3 am and walking the streets looking for a fight?

At best this story reads like a pimple faced teenager with a fantasy.
At worst, it sounds terribly idiotic.

In a city where soda drinks are too large, the DA will probably chase this if they can find any evidence of the story being real/

An ole wily bjj martial arts vet like him? IDK…I just don’t really see a reason to lie…He’s of Gracie fame, he doesn’t need to lie in order to sell material…and the top fighters train with him I doubt he’s that strap for cash.

Am I the only one that thought the pic of the attacker looked like a dummy?

It seems quite legit, here is another link with a live interview to boot:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/renzo-gracie-tweets-during-alleged-mugging-attempt-new-york

The interview (which I did not finish) sounded downright breathless it was so congratulatory. Whole thing is weird. I suppose they could be faking it as a publicity stunt (Gracies are really into that sort of thing). Telling everyone and his brother is going to get them investigated for sure, I think.

He basically admitted to and documented committing an atrocity, especially “racooning” the guy after choking him out 3 times (! last 2 were probably really easy). There is no way this goes down any other way than as assault, battery and possibly attempted manslaughter.

– jj

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
An ole wily bjj martial arts vet like him? IDK…I just don’t really see a reason to lie…He’s of Gracie fame, he doesn’t need to lie in order to sell material…and the top fighters train with him I doubt he’s that strap for cash.[/quote]

Who knows man, hth the Gracies were never the cleanest or most mentally stable characters behind the scene. Crazy Horse called them the goons of MMA for a reason.

At any rate, like treco said, it comes across like some pimple faced teenager writing his power fantasy. I mean really, who the fuck has time to write all this shit while it’s happening. Who even thinks “these guys are probably going to try to mug me, better tell twitter whats going down”??

He has to be trolling.

I’m sure he’s capable of beating down a couple of unarmed thugs. But tweeting about it on his phone? Documenting the whole thing with pictures, WHILE it happens? Yeah, no.

But who knows, maybe he got a little drunk and thought all of it was a good idea hahah. Either way, he’s a little nuts.

His own account convicts him of multiple assaults and probably some kind of kidnapping or unlawful restraint. This guy isn’t one of the two brothers who make those videos is it? Those guys seem to level headed and easy going for this kind of nonsense (wether its true or not).

Whether it’s true or not, the guy is a moron. Apart from having convicted himself, at the point there were just two guys following him, he had no idea whether they were armed, or what their intentions were. Something similar happened to a friend of mine, who although not an ‘mma champion’, is a very tough nut, and probably the best part of 16 stone of aggression. The two guys following him turned out to be 16 year old kids who were trying to prove themselves in a gang. There were just looking for a big guy to stab. My mate, thinking they were just arseholes out to nick an easy wallet, confronted them. He got over 20 stab wounds, and spent a long stint in hospital. He was lucky to survive.

All the talk in the article about ‘the mean streets of brazil’ makes me laugh. If this guy was really a guy from the arse end of hell, he would have recognised the danger, and put himself clear of it. I’m sure this kind of story appeals to the fanboys who dream of violence, but there are little kids out there who would , and could, have put this MMA bad boy in an early grave, before they went home for chicken nuggets with their mummy.
This Gracie character is a very, very lucky man.

I seem to remember watching VHS footage Renzo elbowing a guy in the head, who was trying to stab Renzo, after one of Renzo’s fights in Brazil. After the fight a riot broke out.

I certainly think it is within the realm of possibility that he absolutely mauled to guys who planned to physically over power him and roll him. He certainly has the in ring and out of ring credentials to do it. Of course there is also the element of luck that you don’t get stabbed, shot, otherwise killed etc. when you are dealing with individuals who are ok with breaking laws and are pretty sure they will have it their way.

The decision to tweet all this makes me wonder just how accurately he was assessing the situation/intent of the two. Were they just drunks following him? It boggles my mind that someone who is, by the accounts I have read, an intelligent man would opt to tweet about a robbery in progress or about maiming/disciplining his attackers post combat.

The three S’s of conflict resolution are:

1. “Shoot”
  2. “Shovel”
  3. “Shut the fuck up.”

I never doubted Renzo’s ability or willingness at the first two, but he seems to be blowing the third.

I did not see any notice of criminal charges being filed. I wonder if this is due to a lack of complainants, i.e. the two would be “muggers”(if Renzo accurately assessed the situation) have not come forward. I am not so much thinking that the event was staged as I am suspicious that they have retained legal council with the goal of a civil suit after any criminal proceedings. If that is the case all of Renzo’s talk is pretty much going to doom him.

Regards,

Robert A

This situation and from all the comments posted, I agree, a total moron. No professional, who is in the buisness of CQB, Warfighting, Personal Protection, or any profession where you are responsible for the training or the safety of others, would ever conduct themselves in such an embarrassing manner.

[quote]Robert A wrote:
I seem to remember watching VHS footage Renzo elbowing a guy in the head, who was trying to stab Renzo, after one of Renzo’s fights in Brazil. After the fight a riot broke out.

I certainly think it is within the realm of possibility that he absolutely mauled to guys who planned to physically over power him and roll him. He certainly has the in ring and out of ring credentials to do it. Of course there is also the element of luck that you don’t get stabbed, shot, otherwise killed etc. when you are dealing with individuals who are ok with breaking laws and are pretty sure they will have it their way.

The decision to tweet all this makes me wonder just how accurately he was assessing the situation/intent of the two. Were they just drunks following him? It boggles my mind that someone who is, by the accounts I have read, an intelligent man would opt to tweet about a robbery in progress or about maiming/disciplining his attackers post combat.

The three S’s of conflict resolution are:

1. “Shoot”
  2. “Shovel”
  3. “Shut the fuck up.”

I never doubted Renzo’s ability or willingness at the first two, but he seems to be blowing the third.

I did not see any notice of criminal charges being filed. I wonder if this is due to a lack of complainants, i.e. the two would be “muggers”(if Renzo accurately assessed the situation) have not come forward. I am not so much thinking that the event was staged as I am suspicious that they have retained legal council with the goal of a civil suit after any criminal proceedings. If that is the case all of Renzo’s talk is pretty much going to doom him.

Regards,

Robert A

[/quote]

Did you see the pic of the guys head against the bumper? This whole thing was completely staged. Not sure what his angle is, but nothing he said actually went down. The guy’s full of shit.

This is one strange story.

I do think that not everywhere guys will stab you to death.
Many violent streetfighters had whole careers with 100+ fights without getting stabbed.
In Germany, the culture of street violence changed slowly from the late 70s upwards. Stabbings were very rare before that. Shootings practically unheard of.

But Brazil seems so wild, it looks strange to me that Renzo decides to pick a fight with two shady guys following him.
In any case, I certainly hope they won’t send his ass to prison.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
This Gracie character is a very, very lucky man. [/quote]

Or he selected his victims well. He wouldn’t have engaged them if they actually looked like they could have sent him to an early grave. My reading is that they were first time hoods who figured they outnumbered him and therefore, would win. He realized they were idiots.

The assumption of people so far in this thread is that they were credible threats. They sound pretty hapless and he just had a beat down, if indeed they were attackers at all (which I’m not wholly convinced either).

If it happened as he said, yes he should go to jail. Having him get his ass handed to him by people with no training should be a humbling experience to say the least.

– jj

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Did you see the pic of the guys head against the bumper? This whole thing was completely staged. Not sure what his angle is, but nothing he said actually went down. The guy’s full of shit.[/quote]

I saw the picture, but I am up in the air.

Honestly, true or not this is a festival of fail.

Regards,

Robert A

If this was real, he should be arrested for all kinds of assault.

If it’s true, he’s a big piece of shit.

He probably stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Oh yes. Somebody told me that in the fifities and sixties, your own friends would look down on you if you so much as kicked a downed opponent.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Oh yes. Somebody told me that in the fifities and sixties, your own friends would look down on you if you so much as kicked a downed opponent.
[/quote]

Unless the downed opponent was a filthy Turkish guest worker!

AUSLANDER RAUS!!!