'Renzo Gracie: Legacy'

[quote]“Renzo Gracie: Legacy”

Gethin Aldous’s new film, “Renzo Gracie: Legacy,” will no doubt be considered a masterpiece in the world of documentaries.

“Legacy” recounts the legendary Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter’s career, whose equally legendary battles have made him one of the most popular MMA figures of all time. Ranging from the story of family history to an essential highlight reel of fights, “Legacy” is fascinating from beginning to end.

The narrator’s heavy tone of voice combined with restless music instantly creates an atmosphere that draws attention. It lends well not only to the opening scene of Renzo’s thrilling victory over Oleg Taktarov but throughout the entire film.

After an up-kick and a devastating right hook, the narrator explains we’ll be walking alongside Renzo through a 10-year span of his illustrious career.

The viewer gets a glimpse of the Gracie family roots with stunning photos of early matches with the founders of Brazilian jiu jitsu. Also learn how stories of his father’s membership in an underground resistance movement shaped Renzo early in his life.

The film highlights a fight that Renzo calls “one of the greatest fights of my life.” In his last bare-knuckle match, Renzo found himself not only against his opponent, but the crowd as well.

Incredible footage shows the eruption of the fans after Renzo punches a spectator who insulted him. This scene is extremely engaging and gives a great example of the raw nature associated with bare-knuckle fights 10 years ago.

The time period over which the movie was shot allows the viewer to see Gracie adapt to new styles and rules of MMA. Take a look at the beginnings of PRIDE Fighting Championships and the exhilarating battles between rivals such as Kazushi Sakuraba, which at the time was said to be the biggest fight in MMA history.

Aldous gets us backstage passes to Renzo’s awe-inspiring training sessions. What is really evident in these scenes, and in the entire documentary, is Renzo’s genuine approach to training and life in general.

He has a true passion for fighting and amazing heart, providing plainspoken life lessons everywhere you turn. Viewers can watch sessions with Daniel Gracie, Ricardo Almeida and more. We also delve into his relationship with his brother, the late Ryan Gracie.

Gethin Aldous did a fantastic job with “Legacy.” He does not bore you to death with narration or beat you over the head with information. Fans of MMA know about Renzo’s charisma and dedication to the sport, but Aldous allows the masses to truly see what makes a fighter tick.

If you’re in the Philadelphia area this weekend, the Sports Film Festival is running in Philly from Oct 23-26. “Renzo Gracie: Legacy” will be showing on Oct. 25. It comes out on DVD Nov. 12.[/quote]

Okay… this is one that I will have to add to my own personal collection!

Renzo has always come off as a good guy. I’ll check that out.

Renzo’s a cool guy, always accessible and personable. Even when he was over here a few years ago getting ready to fight BJ, he devoted a lot of time to hanging out and showing us stuff. Great guy.