Renegade Training for Football

I got this book today and created a program based off of it. What do you all think.

Monday
Clean or Power clean: Work up to a 3RM
Snatch or Power Snatch: 5 sets of 3
Clean pull: 5 sets of 3
Front squat: 5 sets of 5
Over head Squats: 3 sets of 5
Bent-over row: 5 sets of 5
Towel Chins: 4 sets of 6

Wednesday
Dead lifts: Work up to a 5RM
Squats: 5 sets of 5
Lunges: 3 sets of 10
Turkish Get-up: 3 sets of 5
Glute/Ham: 3 sets of 10
Good Morning: 3 sets of 10

Friday
Bench Press: work up to a 1RM
Push Press: 5 sets of 5
Incline Press: 4 sets of 5
Shoulder Press: 5 sets of 5
Side Press: 3 sets of 5
Pate Raises: 3 sets of 5
Bradford Press: 3 sets of 5

THen the next week i’ll use the snatch as the first lift of the day, the squat first on wendesday, and the push press of friday

im just not to sure about the sets and reps i should use.

im also gonning to be following with how the book tells you about sprinting and agility work but im not to sure how to work those into the program.

[quote]fullback41 wrote:
I got this book today and created a program based off of it. What do you all think.

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

THen the next week i’ll use the snatch as the first lift of the day, the squat first on wendesday, and the push press of friday

im also gonning to be following with how the book tells you about sprinting and agility work but im not to sure how to work those into the program.
[/quote]

That’s typivally beginner’s overtraining unless you have built up to that level of neuromuscular stress over a period of years. Make some of the reps higher (6-12). Get rid of the side press and the Bradford Press. Alternate between the GHR and GM. Alternate between the snatch and the clean pull

The volume might be doable if you could do that over 4 or 5 days. That’s a lot of volume in one workout and I would expect some drop off toward the latter lifts.

Also, there is no need to work up to a 1RM on bench.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
That’s typivally beginner’s overtraining unless you have built up to that level of neuromuscular stress over a period of years. Make some of the reps higher (6-12). Get rid of the side press and the Bradford Press. Alternate between the GHR and GM. Alternate between the snatch and the clean pull[/quote]

Actually, that’s pretty much right on target for any Renegade program. Davies tends to chalk up what most people view as “overtraining” to not being willing to truly bust your ass. I have done one of his programs before and it is tough, but the volume is not excessive in that it’s not as if you are doing 85-90% of 1 RM all the time on the higher volume sets.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
That’s typivally beginner’s overtraining unless you have built up to that level of neuromuscular stress over a period of years. Make some of the reps higher (6-12). Get rid of the side press and the Bradford Press. Alternate between the GHR and GM. Alternate between the snatch and the clean pull

Actually, that’s pretty much right on target for any Renegade program. Davies tends to chalk up what most people view as “overtraining” to not being willing to truly bust your ass. I have done one of his programs before and it is tough, but the volume is not excessive in that it’s not as if you are doing 85-90% of 1 RM all the time on the higher volume sets.[/quote]

I assumed all the sets at 5 reps or below were at or above 85%. I agree with him for the most about about overtraining, the only people who seem to experience it are the people that are familiar with it.I think it can truly develop over a period of a month or so; a good indicator of it seems to be a big drop of in appetite despite increased caloric needs.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I assumed all the sets at 5 reps or below were at or above 85%. [/quote]

Why would you assume that?

Generally, the only people that can do 5 reps with 85% or more of there max are weak people and women. For example, a 400 lb. squatter usually can’t do 5 reps with 340 lbs., especially not for multiple sets in a workout.

[quote]fullback41 wrote:

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

[/quote]

I would strongly suggest you not use that program or the protocols you suggested. It will definately lead to enormous problems and not prepare you for Football. Feel free to contact me directly.

In faith,

J. Davies

hows this look its what the coach gave us i changed it a little im just not to sure about the bench workout.

Monday: Upper body Strength
Bench Press:
Week 1: 50% 8x3
Week 2: 60% 7x3
Week 3: 70% 6x3
Week 4: 80% 5x3
Week 5: 90% 4x3
Week 6: 95% 3x3
Close grip bench: 3x8
Military press: 3x5
Forearm curls: 3x10

Wedensday: Explosive lifts
Clean:
Week 1: 60% 5x3
Week 2: 70% 4x3
Week 3: 80% 3x3
Week 4: 60% 5x3
Week 5: 90% 3x3
Power snatch: 4x2
Push press: 3x3
Speed Bench: 8x3 65%

Friday: Lower body Strength
Squat:
Week 1-3: 50% 3x10(+5-10lbs per week)
Week 4-6: 65% 3x8
Week 7-9: 80% 5x5
Week 10-12: 90% 5x3
Front Squat: 4x6
GHR: 3x10
Lunges: 3x10

Sunday: Explosive Lifts
Dead lift:
Week 1: 6x2 80%
Week 2: 6x4 80%
Week 3: 6x2 80%
Week 4: 5x5 85%
Week 5: 6x2 80%
Week 6: 2x2 100%
Hang cleans: 5x3
1 arm DB snatch: 3x3
Speed box squats: 8x2 60%
Good Mornings: 3x10

well do ab work and also some neck work at the end of workouts

Fullback,

Renegade training programs do not split the work into Lower and Upper Body Days, but rather are full-body training sessions. I would arrange my schedule more like this:

Day 1
A. Snatch or Power Snatch
Bench Press
Squats

B. Good Mornings
Chin-ups

C. Ab Work

Day3
A. Push Press
Drop Snatch
Snatch Deadlift

B. Rows
Lunges or Step-ups

C. Ab Work

Day 5
A. Power Clean or Clean
Bench or Incline Bench
Front Squat

B. Chin-ups
GHR’s or Reverse Hypers

C. Ab Work

Now this is just an example, just to give you some sort of structure. For the movements in part A, look up Prilepin’s Chart and use it. The section B movements are supplemental and would be trained using 2-4 sets of 5-10 reps.

[quote]fullback41 wrote:
hows this look its what the coach gave us i changed it a little im just not to sure about the bench workout.

Monday: Upper body Strength
Bench Press:
Week 1: 50% 8x3
Week 2: 60% 7x3
Week 3: 70% 6x3
Week 4: 80% 5x3
Week 5: 90% 4x3
Week 6: 95% 3x3
Close grip bench: 3x8
Military press: 3x5
Forearm curls: 3x10

Wedensday: Explosive lifts
Clean:
Week 1: 60% 5x3
Week 2: 70% 4x3
Week 3: 80% 3x3
Week 4: 60% 5x3
Week 5: 90% 3x3
Power snatch: 4x2
Push press: 3x3
Speed Bench: 8x3 65%

Friday: Lower body Strength
Squat:
Week 1-3: 50% 3x10(+5-10lbs per week)
Week 4-6: 65% 3x8
Week 7-9: 80% 5x5
Week 10-12: 90% 5x3
Front Squat: 4x6
GHR: 3x10
Lunges: 3x10

Sunday: Explosive Lifts
Dead lift:
Week 1: 6x2 80%
Week 2: 6x4 80%
Week 3: 6x2 80%
Week 4: 5x5 85%
Week 5: 6x2 80%
Week 6: 2x2 100%
Hang cleans: 5x3
1 arm DB snatch: 3x3
Speed box squats: 8x2 60%
Good Mornings: 3x10

well do ab work and also some neck work at the end of workouts
[/quote]

As I said in the first part - I would strongly suggest AGAINST using this workout in conjunction with the other parts of my programs.

I have no idea who is suggesting this program but this has nothing to do with Renegade Training protocols.

In faith,

J. Davies

As I said in the first part - I would strongly suggest using this workout in conjunction with the other parts of my programs.

I have no idea who is suggesting this program but this has nothing to do with Renegade Training protocols.

In faith,

J. Davies
[/quote]

My apologies for this typo - but I meant to say that I strongly advise AGAINST using the suggested template in conjuction with the balance of my program.

In faith,

J. Davies