Removing Egg Yolks

You guys are retarded. If someone wants to manipulate the macronutrient profile of their meal, fine. No need to ask stupid ass “questions” about why they are throwing out the yolk. Eggs are a cheap source of good protein, whites and yolks. Yolks are not some magic vitamin store, I challenge anyone to cite a reference to the contrary.
The guy just wanted to know if anyone had any tricks for separating whites for yolks. Gosh!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
You could just eat the whole egg.

They really aren’t bad for you. And the yolk is important.

I don’t do the egg white thing. I like to eat the whole egg (XL eggs) and usually cook up 4-7 for a meal. You’ve never had a good omlette until you’ve mixed up 5-7 XL eggs with mushrooms, tomato, spinach, avocado and cheese. M’m M’m good!!![/quote]

Nate, what time are you serving breakfast? I’ll be there and I’ll even do the dishes and give you my recipe for my buckwheat pancakes made with cream and whole eggs and wheat germ and smothered in real canadian maple syrup. Canadian back bacon goes good with ALL breakfasts.

TNT

I never claimed that the yolks are bad for anyone.

Separating the yolk is an easy way to manipulate how much protein you want compared to how much fat you want.

A little bit of butter isn’t bad for you either, but I wouldn’t eat a stick at a meal.

It all depends on your goals, where you are and where you want to be.

I usually choose to use 2 yolks. I know I’m getting fat from other sources in my meal and having 2 yolks happens to work out most of the time when I decide to eat eggs.

Is it realy that hard to understand why someone would want to separate a yolk from an egg?

No one said they separate them from EVERY egg they eat.

I never experimented with a yolk to find out exactly how much of the fat is saturated, mono-unsaturated or poly-unsaturated. I don’t have a lab at my house and wouldn’t know how to do it if I did.

I’ve seen a lot of different info on the web about the ratios, and that all 3 types of fats are in them, but that the ratios differ depending on what the chickens are fed.

My bad for saying it’s mostly saturated without knowing. Point being that it’s easy to adjust the protein/fat ratio of the meal and one CAN have too much of any macronutrient.

I wouldn’t eat 6 cups of oats in the morning with 1 meal, but I know the oats are good for me. I don’t think I’m being a pussy by only eating 1 cup.

Anyone starting to see my point here?

Sorry JD818 for the hijack

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
Professor X wrote:
SWR-1222D wrote:
If you’re trying to get in about 30-50 grams of protein, you’d need about 5-8 whole eggs. That would lead to 25-40 grams of fat in one meal, most of which is saturated fat. I think that’s a good enough reason to separate the yolks.

I ate 8 whole eggs this morning. How soon before I die?

Don’t worry, you won’t die. Just like you wouldn’t die after eating a whole pizza, cake or chips…[/quote]

This is a moronic comparison. Eggs are a product of nature, whereas cake, pizza and chips have tons of extra ingredients like commercial vegetable oils and processed sugar, which we know are bad. Eating a few egg yolks every day will NOT shorten your life span.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:
You could just eat the whole egg.

They really aren’t bad for you. And the yolk is important.

I don’t do the egg white thing. I like to eat the whole egg (XL eggs) and usually cook up 4-7 for a meal. You’ve never had a good omlette until you’ve mixed up 5-7 XL eggs with mushrooms, tomato, spinach, avocado and cheese. M’m M’m good!!!

Nate, what time are you serving breakfast? I’ll be there and I’ll even do the dishes and give you my recipe for my buckwheat pancakes made with cream and whole eggs and wheat germ and smothered in real canadian maple syrup. Canadian back bacon goes good with ALL breakfasts.

TNT[/quote]

LOL! I like omlettes on the weekends. I’ll have to decline you on the pancakes. They sound quite tasty, but I’m just not down with all the carbs these days unless it’s a fruit or vegetable source. :wink:

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
A little bit of butter isn’t bad for you either, but I wouldn’t eat a stick at a meal.[/quote]

I agree. Here is a regular meal that I make myself, usually PWO or at noontime:

1 whole egg
5 whites
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 Whole Garlic, crushed
1 Small Potato
1 Tablespoon Buffalo Wing Sauce
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Breakdown:
593 Cals, 27g protein, 44g carbs, 34g fat

Now since I’m using the olive oil to sautee my potatoes, onion and garlic, I want to reduce the amount of fat in the rest of the meal. if I made the above with WHOLE eggs, here’s the breakdown:

976 Cals, 69g fat, 47g carbs, 40g protein.

Now to me it isn’t worth adding 35 grams of fat to get an extra 6 grams of protein, let alone the extra 383 fat calories. BTW, I also use the half shell method of egg white removal.

I keep trying to tell IPJunkie to just reach his hand in the bowl and pull the yolks out. It’s much easier. They don’t break and get all into the whites.

I also cringe when he tosses them - I could use it in my own eggs! I love the yolks.

Does anybody bake merengues? I’m working on a recipe for them and could use a few tips. I am thinking about using some zero net sugar and wondering if anyone else has done so with good results.
Unlesss it’s considered a hi-jack, then screw it.

Regarding fat, if you’re doing the P+C and P+F thing, and you’re trying to eat eggs with the P+C, then remove the yolks. Or use Scramblers or Egg Beaters or something like that where the yolks are already removed.

Listen, eat the egg white and be a pussy. No bravery, you are just a mezzafinoch.

By the way, don’t PM me complaining that I called you a vagina. You are.

[quote]'LIL Cazzo wrote:
Listen, eat the egg white and be a pussy. No bravery, you are just a mezzafinoch.

By the way, don’t PM me complaining that I called you a vagina. You are.[/quote]

You forgot to mention the middle finger picture I also PM’d you with.:stuck_out_tongue:

If my goals were to gain size and strength at any cost, I’d eat all the yolks I wanted and drink oil by the bottle and eat a cow at every meal, but I personally don’t want all the extra fat on my body, and no I’m not saying that fat in your diet directly contributes to fat on your body. Again, I’m talking about TOO MUCH of any macro nutrient and how eggs are easy to manipulate the amount of protein and fat you get in your meal.

I like egg yolks, but I limit them just like I limit anything else I eat, bringing back my example of not eating 6 cups of oats at a meal…

Do you get it yet, or are you still confused. I thought I could drop this as it seems obvious why someone would possibly want to remove SOME yolks from their eggs.

I admit I messed up on the “mostly saturated fat” thing, but the point remains the same. I also don’t drink flax oil by the cup full many times a day, but that’s just me. Pig out all you want, it’s your body.

I think you realy understood what I meant, but that PM must have realy pissed you off. That’s why you had to come back. I understand. I’m willing to bet this post is also going to piss you off, but then again, that’s what it’s intended for.

You started it! (in a childish, gradeschool voice)

I want to see a forum fight! Let’s get it on!

Sure, a few wouldn’t be bad, but what about 8-12? I think that’s the quantity that most of us are dealing with. A “few” eggs would hardly even be a snack for me.

Ive always scooped out a majority of my yolks, but not because of the fat content. I was more concerned about the Cholesterol content. Maybe Ive missed some things over the years, but was it determined lately that there’s no problem with excessive cholesterol consumption?

By the way, I wouldn’t consider the above comparison “moronic”. If you want to be anal about it, then yeah, it’s not the most accurate comparison, but the example makes sense to me.

Hate to go off on a tangent, but when I see people start throwing insults like that (moronic, pussy, etc), I tend to lose a lot of respect for what they have to say. Maybe it’s just me though…

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:

By the way, don’t PM me complaining that I called you a vagina. You are.[/quote]

Hijack

Does anyone know when the new season of Sopranos starts?

[quote]adamkn wrote:

Ive always scooped out a majority of my yolks, but not because of the fat content. I was more concerned about the Cholesterol content. Maybe Ive missed some things over the years, but was it determined lately that there’s no problem with excessive cholesterol consumption?

By the way, I wouldn’t consider the above comparison “moronic”. If you want to be anal about it, then yeah, it’s not the most accurate comparison, but the example makes sense to me.

[/quote]

It makes sense to you because you’re like most people, you think you know a lot about nutrition, but you don’t. Read TC’s The Heart of the Matter and you’ll see that more than 1/3 of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol, and that if cholesterol drops below a certain level the death rate actually increases from other causes. You should know cholesterol is not some evil foreign chemical, but an important component in cells that maintains the integrity of the cell membrane.

Here’s a link to TC’s article:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459358

And just for shits here’s a link to Dr. Ravnskov’s website. He wrote a very good book entitled the cholesterol myths. Take a look.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

[quote]adamkn wrote:
Ive always scooped out a majority of my yolks, but not because of the fat content. I was more concerned about the Cholesterol content. Maybe Ive missed some things over the years, but was it determined lately that there’s no problem with excessive cholesterol consumption? [/quote]

Actually, yeah. The thing is, your body produces the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream. What you eat is just a drop in the bucket, so even if you eat less cholesterol, you’re body will just keep right on making it.

That’s not to say that diet doesn’t have an effect on your cholesterol levels, it does. It’s just that worrying specifically about the amount of cholesterol you eat is a dead-end road. Beyond that, I think there’s plenty of room to argue over whether it’s even worth worry about cholesterol levels. There was a recent study for example that found that patients on statin drugs, while enjoying significantly lower cholesterol levels, did not have improved mortality rates. The lesson is that nothing’s as simple as worrying about one nutrient, there’s no magic bullets or shortcuts to health.

As for eggs, the yolk is an excellent source of choline and lecithin. Choline is important for liver health and lecithin is a fat emulsifier, meaning it actually helps you digest all the fat in those yolks. If you buy Omega eggs, they are also a good source of n-3s. Personally I wouldn’t throw all that away.

Nick

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
adamkn wrote:

It makes sense to you because you’re like most people, you think you know a lot about nutrition, but you don’t. Read TC’s The Heart of the Matter and you’ll see that more than 1/3 of people who have heart attacks have normal cholesterol, and that if cholesterol drops below a certain level the death rate actually increases from other causes. You should know cholesterol is not some evil foreign chemical, but an important component in cells that maintains the integrity of the cell membrane.

Here’s a link to TC’s article:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459358

And just for shits, here’s a link to Dr. Ravnskov’s website. He wrote a very good book entitled the cholesterol myths. Take a look.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm[/quote]

Thanks to you & Nick for the input.

If I really thought I knew that much about nutrition, I wouldn’t be on this website to continue learning about it. But thanks for reminding me that I still have plenty to learn.

I read TC’s article on cholesterol back when it was first written, and I found it to be pretty interesting. However, I wasn’t really about to let one article change my entire view of cholesterol - just like I wouldn’t completely alter my view on post workout nutrition just because of Barr’s recent article.

Anyway, I normally remove a majority of the yolks when I cook eggs, but in light of this new info, I’ll start leaving most of them in for while and see what happens…

[quote]adamkn wrote:
Anyway, I normally remove a majority of the yolks when I cook eggs, but in light of this new info, I’ll start leaving most of them in for while and see what happens…
[/quote]

“…and as the story goes, kids, that was the last time we ever heard from adamkn.”

Susy: “Did he die from massive yolk intake, Prof?”

“No, Sue, he found that he liked yolks so much that he bagan snorting them like grade A Columbian cocain thus leading to death by yolk aspiration”

Sue: “Ouch”

“Ouch, indeed”

Yea Prof., It’s all fun and games till you get a shard of shell embedded in the septum. Geezohman, that will make ya cry. Kids- snortin yolk aint no jolk! If you don’t do it once, you’ll never do it again.