T Nation

Removing Bread From Diet

Why do I have such a difficult time cutting it out of my diet? I’d like to go on a veggie/fruit/lean meat diet only. With of course healthy fats thrown in. But I swear I have withdrawal worse than trying to give up cigarettes when I cut the bread out. What the hell is going on?? I eat only whole wheat if it matters. I can’t even last a day and I cave.
Help.

1)I can’t justify it (maybe other people here can) but it is said that we are often addicted to the foods that we are allergic to. Actually grain cultivation started happening fairly recent in our evolutionary history and so a lot of people are gluten intolerant.

1. Possibly, you are either no eating enough, especially healthy fats. If you are not eating enough fats, you may never feel full and therefore go for the starchy carbs.

2. Possibly your body is not absorbing
    the nutrients. You may have low stomach acid and need to take HCL.

These are just some ideas. I had the same problem, by the way. It took some time for me to clean out all the sugar, but it took an even longer time to clean out flour products. I still eat bread sometime, however, when I do, I eat sprouted bread like Manna.

Ok, those are just some tentative ideas. Maybe somebody else can further elaborate on my proposals and/or clarify their own ideas. Good luck.

I don’t know why exactly you want to cut bread out of your diet, but I would suggest weaning yourself onto natural breads. Something with no preservatives, no coloring, 3 or 4 ingredients.

I have found that I tolerate breads like this a lot better than just about any super-market bread.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
Why do I have such a difficult time cutting it out of my diet? I’d like to go on a veggie/fruit/lean meat diet only. With of course healthy fats thrown in. But I swear I have withdrawal worse than trying to give up cigarettes when I cut the bread out. What the hell is going on?? I eat only whole wheat if it matters. I can’t even last a day and I cave.
Help.[/quote]

Why are you switching to a produce/ meat only diet? Are you trying to lose weight? If you’re not doing something like the AD or are trying to lose weight, I don’t see why you’re trying to cut out all bread from your diet. Why not go for something like sprouted whole grain bread?

I’ve weaned myself from traditional bread by using Joseph’s Lavasch roll up, in particular their flax seed, oat bran, whole wheat. One whole roll up has 10 g. protein, 14 g. carbs (including 6 gram fiber), and 4 g. fat.

Eat it after workouts and, if this is not enough, in the morning. This should actually help you make progress.

Not all people are meant to be on a low carb diet, maybe you aren?t.

Try to eat other carbohydrates instead and see if it is really the bread or the carbs you crave.