T Nation

Remington and Sandy Hook

Nope. Just basic logic and experience on the engineering (design intent) of industry products.

I think you missed the point.

1 Like

Well stated

If I was faced with a choice between using a gun and a baseball bat to kill someone, I think I’d choose the bat. Worst design ever, if that’s what guns are designed to do. Poorly balanced, weak club. You have to buy some accessories sold separately to improve their ability.

I saw someone try something like this in an Indiana Jones movie.

Don’t make the bat decision IRL. Doesn’t work out well.

If you generated the meme, good job, lots of anti-gun people repeat it and have been for years even though it isn’t true. It isn’t true of target rifles, or competition race guns, or skeet guns.

And I get the point, I’m not sure you do.

The point is to demonize the firearms industry by generating the public perception that firearms manufacturers are evil corporations profiting on death. Like the tobacco companys adding chemicals to their products to make them more addictive. Like big Pharmaceutical companies dumping billions of pain killers into the Florida pill mills during the Opioid crisis, knowing their products were highly addictive and ruined lives.

The point of the lawsuit is to destroy 2nd Amendment through the death of a thousand cuts, by suing the industry out of existence. The anti-gun movement knows they can’t generate the support to amend the constitution.

If there’s something I missed please point it out.

You wouldn’t, and you know it.

I’m still unaware of the meme you’re speaking of. I responded to a post on Tnation, are you talking about something different?

Ahh, so you did miss my point, but appear to be reading something else altogether.

That might be true, but was not what I was talking about or what I responded to.

Yes, the point I was making. You appear to be reading an entirely different conversation.

Yeah we have a lot of people coming into schools killing multiple people with bats. Clearly the Louisville slugger is the weapon of choice for mass murder.

I’d say if this is the case for the vast majority of gun owners then the personal safety argument is pretty lacking.

But I don’t think it’s the case if this is right.

No, I’m reading the conversation clearly. You made a statement, which has meaning, that apparently you haven’t really thought thru.

Which is why I believe you’re only repeating an idea (meme), that you read or heard somewhere “guns are only designed to kill people” that made you nod your head in agreement. You haven’t considered whether it’s actually true, or what the intentions are of the people who push that idea into the conversation.

I think I’d much rather be swinging something that’s meant for swinging than swinging a firearm. Edit: Don’t know what else I’d do with a gun alone.

No. We really don’t.

I haven’t considered if guns are actually designed to kill? Are you going to go into semantics (which you accused me of) by referenced the few gun types that are not used to kill. I thought there was a basic understanding we were taking about lethal weapons considering the context and I didn’t need to specify.

I guess I have to spell it out, because you’re clearly not.

1. No memes have been presented or referenced.
  2. BG was talking about the slippery slope if this went through, and how people would be able to sue car manufacturers, pressure cooker makers…etc
  3. My point was about how due to design intent, which is what the suit would have to use, that slippery slope would not apply to those other items.
  4. I’m not talking about the merits of the lawsuit, how people push anti-gun agendas, or anything of the sort. You seem to be reading a lot of gun argument baggage into what I’m saying. I assure you, I am not coming for your guns.
1 Like

Ah this is a scenario where youre carrying around a bat and an unloaded firearm. While having the firearm doesn’t make sense, the bat definitely sounds more viable in that thought experiment

This is what you said. In addition to it being a political sound bite used by people who explicitly do want to take everyone’s guns, it’s also incredibly vague, and untrue. Are you trying to lump in, like, .22 caliber rifles designed to kill rabbits and squirrels? Designed to kill! That’s more than semantics, it’s intellectually dishonest.

You could argue, and I think that you’re trying to, that an AR-15 was designed to kill humans, therefore, since an AR-15 clone was used at Sandy Hook it was used as designed. The lawsuit, as you would describe it, still seems baseless to me, since the designer never worked for Remington, the company in question, and has been dead for like 20 years. He designed the rifle in the 1950’s, and it has been legal to sell those rifles to the public ever since. All Remington did was sell a perfectly legal copy of that design to the shooter’s mother and first victim, who intended to use it for home defense.

Aragorn mentioned deceptive marketing. I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone getting sued for that, but I haven’t seen any evidence that Remington does any such thing. The AR-15 is generally marketed for sport shooting and home defense, which it’s perfectly suited for. It’s not marketed for general hunting, because, wait for it, the bullet it shoots isn’t deadly enough to be legal to hunt with. The lawsuit seems to be a politically motivated attack on a legitimate company.

From Wikipedia:

A meme (/miːm/ MEEM [1][2][3]) is an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture—often with the aim of conveying a particular phenomenon, theme, or meaning represented by the meme.[4] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices, that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[5]

This is what I meant by meme.

dawkins_meme

Now I’m gonna read every meme in his nasally voice.

Said on a day a school shooting occurred…

1 Like

Yep, and I stand by it. Unlike household kitchen items like a pressure cooker, which is the context of my comment.

I specifically said what point I was making, and AGAIN you forget to read the words I write and pretend I’m making an argument that I’m not making. Good grief man.

Again, not defending the lawsuit. I already said that, but it doesn’t seem to be sinking in.

Yes, the gun is designed to shoot projectiles that are lethal.

Who is talking about hunting?

So by meme you mean my ideas are not my own? That goes more into philosophical discussions, but based on your reading skills so far I doubt that discussion would be enjoyable.

1 Like

Well, thanks for keeping it civil pal, though I guess I insulted you by pointing out that you’re repeating ideas you didn’t come up with and haven’t really given much thought to. I’ve made my point clear. Because I don’t agree that the potential basis you propose for a lawsuit has any merit that means my reading comprehension sucks. Gotcha, have a nice day.