Remembering the Routine

So i’ve started working out for the first time in my life, and i’m doing the exercise’s that are on the poster in the corporate gym, but this is just to start. I’ve written down the names of them, but don’t remember how to do them without the pics,or when i do them at home, or my local gym. This maybe a bit different but aside from bringing pics, anybody know of any apps that might show exercises?

look them up on youtube/this site. Watch the videos, learn the moves. Once you’ve learnt them properly you shouldn’t have any problem remembering what you’re supposed to be doing. Alternatively, if you can afford it, get a coach/personal trainer at least for one session.

There’s also loads of books with exercise form, starting strength, 5/3/1 etc. In fact if you never have trained with weights before, buy starting strength, do the program, eat like crazy, then get back to us in 6 months.

Those pictures on the wall are useless, they only show you where you start and finish. How you get from the former to the latter with good form is by far and away the most important thing.

[quote]Welsh_Lifter_91 wrote:
look them up on youtube/this site. Watch the videos, learn the moves. Once you’ve learnt them properly you shouldn’t have any problem remembering what you’re supposed to be doing.[/quote]
Pretty much this, yep.

Once you get a little more familiarity and experience with the exercises, you won’t need to be double-checking form every time. (Though, that’s not the same thing as not paying attention to form, which you should be self-monitoring every rep of every session.)

T-Nation has a huge video library of exercises:

The Technique Thread talks about some basic exercises:

And if you’re wondering about something in particular, you can always post the name/description here and we can get it figured out.

I would definitely pick up a copy or find a download of Starting Strength. The descriptions in the book for each lift are at least 5 pages long for each. Lots of good info. I’ve actually gone back to those a couple of times, so it never hurts.

CS

Thank you for the replies guys. I wasnt sure if people would take my question seriously so i appreciate it.The book you’ve recommended i will pick it up immediately. So far i’ve bought Tudor Bompa’s “Serious Strength Training”, and “Periodization for sports”.

I have experienced my first problem; my shoulders have given me some problems after doing some training. After the past 2 weeks i’ve gotten a pain in both my shoulders after doing shoulder presses 3 x 10 @ 20lbs, Upright row 3 x 10 20 lbs. ,and front lat raise 3 x 10 15lbs. all dumbells.

I’m a beginner so take my advice as such. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a great way to learn the basic barbell exercises. Also I have an app on my iphone called gym goal abc or something like that. I use it to record my workouts in the gym before I come home and write them down in my log.

However, for each exercise it has pictures, a basic description, and a video on how to do them. You’re best bet is having someone such as a trainer or someone with a lot of experience show you how.