T Nation

Remembering Jesse Marunde

Just a topic to remember this great strongman a year after his tragic death. I know im a couple of weeks late only getting round to it now.

Post pictures, videos etc he was one of the most liked strongmen atheltes in the world who always gave it his all…

R.I.P Jesse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvmrSqgKfA

What happened?

He collapsed in training, because he had inborn heart defect. He knew that he had it, but that didn’t stop him from training and competing.

“Squat more!”
Jesse Marunde

[quote]mldj wrote:
He collapsed in training, because he had inborn heart defect. He knew that he had it, but that didn’t stop him from training and competing.
[/quote]
He knew? I hadn’t heard that before, where’d you hear that?

Perhaps we should make a thread and advice against enhance performing drugs in sports ? He left a wife and a kid behind. After his death Eurosport also aired a show were he told about his expectations for the future within the sport. The sacrifices can be too big. Just say NO to drugs.

[quote]stallion wrote:
Perhaps we should make a thread and advice against enhance performing drugs in sports ? He left a wife and a kid behind. After his death Eurosport also aired a show were he told about his expectations for the future within the sport. The sacrifices can be too big. Just say NO to drugs.[/quote]

What drugs?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
mldj wrote:

He knew? I hadn’t heard that before, where’d you hear that?

[/quote]

I thought I’ve read that in the forum of marunde-muscle.com, but after some google-ing, I think I’ve confused the facts with these of Jon Pall Sigmarsson’s death :frowning:

Also, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy must be difficult to diagnose, I suppose, because there are several cases of athletes, who died due to this disease. And most of these athletes have undergone thorough medical examination many times.

Sorry for the confusion.

[quote]stallion wrote:
Perhaps we should make a thread and advice against enhance performing drugs in sports ? He left a wife and a kid behind. After his death Eurosport also aired a show were he told about his expectations for the future within the sport. The sacrifices can be too big. Just say NO to drugs.[/quote]

Dipshit, it was proved that he had no anabolics in his system from autopsy. He had a congenital defect. You might want to look that up.

[quote]stallion wrote:

Perhaps we should make a thread and advice against clueless, classless fucking idiots proving their ignorance posting in strength sports? Or maybe you should know what the fuck you are talking about before you go in a thread to remember someone who was liked by a hell of a lot of people and died from a congenital defect due to pure chance and spurt stupid shit like it was his fault. Or you could just eat shit and die, less people would miss you than Jesse.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
stallion wrote:
Perhaps we should make a thread and advice against enhance performing drugs in sports ? He left a wife and a kid behind. After his death Eurosport also aired a show were he told about his expectations for the future within the sport. The sacrifices can be too big. Just say NO to drugs.

What drugs?[/quote]

Yes, I too would like to know which drugs can cause CONGENITAL conditions.

To any teenagers or kids reading this, or for that matter anyone who’s just getting started or doesn’t have the background on this story, NEVER take bs like this without questioning it. I’m so disgusted with this I’m not even going to bother arguing it, but I will close by saying that Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is real, and if you’d like to educate yourself on it, may I suggest that you start with an excellent piece from Sports Illustrated’s Dec 10th 2007 issue. Brett Favre is on the cover if any of you archive your old SIs like me. Otherwise, just click here

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1114504/index.htm

[quote]stallion wrote:

Words can’t express how much distaste I have for you right now. Hate is a powerful word, but if you were to fall down the stairs in front of me, I’d move out of the way to let you fall. I’d probably laugh.

Back on topic, Jesse was one of the best people I’ve ever met. I use the word best, because there is nothing else that describes him as a person. He was a great strongman, and had a huge future in strength sports, but he was so much more than that. He had a reputation for going way out of his way to help anybody and everybody, and I can back this reputation up. Even though I was one of those people, when he passed I was blown away by the stories I heard about him.

One of my favorites from a member of his website:

Here he is doing high rep squats AT THE END of a full workout. 20 reps, high bar olympic, with 407lbs:

Jesse Marunde, greatest of all time. A real warrior, and a loving husband and father. In a perfect world the kids would admire people like him instead of gay rappers and soccer players.

I understand my opinion is not a popular one. In strongman competitions steroid usage is common. It is all about show and circus, if a strongman gets health problems or even dies, not many people care, there is always a new strongman ready to take his place in the events and on tv.

Eurosport aired a program after Marundes death, were he was interviewed about his future in the sports of strongman, he sat there togheter with his wife and kid. There was not one mention in the show about his death.

The TV-channels and the fans do not really care about the persons, they care about what they see, the spectacular strength feats, and the circus, if someone dies or gets injuried or fot other reasons cannot continue, there are always other up and coming strongmen ready to take their place.

What young people need to realize, is that the health is their most important asset. I’ve seen so many tragedies caused by drug usage, and I personally know a few blokes that has made huge achivements in strength sports, but are now on medications the rest of their lifes.

I am sure Jesse Marunde was a great guy, but I think it is very naive to think that he was free of steroids. I would believe almost every top strongman is on steroids, not being so would be stupid from a competitive perspective, as everyone they compete against is using steroids.

However, the damaging health effects of heavy steroid usage is not to be taken lightly, and that is my point. I understand Jesse Marunde had some heart-condition he was born with, but usage of steroids would not exactly help this condition in a positive direction.

I read that it was not found anabolics in his system after his death, but that does not prove he never used it. There are many weight-lifters and powerlifters that have won world championships that have used steroids at some points, yet they pass the test for steroids in competition. Not testing positive at one point does not prove that steroids was never used.

407lbs x 20 is not a very impressive feat by a world class strongman in the squat. I will squat better than that in not a very long time. So far I’ve done 380lbs x 19 in the olympic squat, close stance, high bar style. Check out the T-Nation 20-rep challenge thread if you do not believe me.

So my message is to say no to steroids, because you never know what kind of problems you will encounter down the road. Your health is the most valuable asset you have.

Jesse Marunde was a great strongman, and he worked out with an enormous dedication, and lifting was his life. I admire people who put every effort possible into becoming as good as they can, however I have seen so many bad things happen to people that do steroids, that I see no reason to defend the usage of said medications.

I am fully aware that steroid users will hate me for saying this, and that naive people who think strongmen don’t use steroids will hate me too.

For about 3 years, I trained in a hardcore gym with a lot of people that did steroids. I saw a lot of people get problems because of their usage of the illegal substances, social problems, health problems, problems with party drugs, family violence, and one dude committed suicide because his mind got fucked up.

I realize the world has a hunger for stronger and better athletes all the time, and that the race will never end, and there will always be a supply of men willing to risk their health to be the next super-athlete.

I am advocating that you can be very strong without steroids, it takes a lot of time and dedication, but if you are persistent through many years, then you will reach a level you never tought possible.

Training for strength is a journey that can last for many years, many won’t reach their peak maybe until they are 35-45 years old or possibly older.

Realizing that most athletes won’t make a living of their sport, it is better to view the lifting as a lifetime hobby and don’t put all the eggs in one basket.

It is better to be an old man that is strong, than a strong man that can’t be old.

– stallion

He was one of the best. R.I.P.

I would like to add that I feel very sorry for his wife and kids, who are now alone in this world. It should never have happened this way. I hope they will remember him as the great strongman that he was, and that they get on with their lifes eventually.

[quote]stallion wrote:
I would like to add that I feel very sorry for his wife and kids, who are now alone in this world. It should never have happened this way. I hope they will remember him as the great strongman that he was, and that they get on with their lifes eventually.[/quote]

Again, get a clue, eat shit, and die

[quote]tassie wrote:
stallion wrote:
I would like to add that I feel very sorry for his wife and kids, who are now alone in this world. It should never have happened this way. I hope they will remember him as the great strongman that he was, and that they get on with their lifes eventually.

Again, get a clue, eat shit, and die[/quote]

My message is this:

You have one life. And your health is your most important asset. If anyone wants to gamble with that, is is their choice, but I advice against it. Steroids can cause a lot of problems, and many users do not think about the long term bi-effects of their usage.

Your hostile attitude is not something new, I wish you all the best in your future training, and make smart choices in life!

Regards, stallion.