Religulous: The Movie

[quote]lixy wrote:
Makavali wrote:
lixy wrote:
But what bothered me the most was the bogus subtitles. That’s some outrageously deceitful rubbish.

I’m pretty sure that was for humor.

death to Bill Maher

lol :slight_smile:

It was obvious in that particular instance.

But I’d bet that over 90% of the film’s audience took the translation of the passer-by inside Al-Aqsa literally. [/quote]

He did look upset. I didn’t think it was real since I’ve never seen Bill Maher’s stand up, so there is no chance he would’ve even known who he is. What was he saying?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Makavali wrote:
lixy wrote:
But what bothered me the most was the bogus subtitles. That’s some outrageously deceitful rubbish.

I’m pretty sure that was for humor.

death to Bill Maher

lol :slight_smile:

It was obvious in that particular instance.

But I’d bet that over 90% of the film’s audience took the translation of the passer-by inside Al-Aqsa literally. [/quote]

Again I doubt it.

“I’ve seen this Jews comedy, it’s not funny”

Doesn’t match the way he was talking.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Anyone seen this?

I thought it was a pretty good and funny documentary - written by Bill Maher and directed by Larry Charles.

Check it out if you have a chance.[/quote]

Is it out here in the UK? The Trailer is effin hilarious. Definitely want to see that.

[quote]Test-one wrote:
I respect all and any views, but this movie was horrible.

It’s like going up to the guy in the gym with no back and no legs and tagging this guy as an “expert”, then commence to hammer him with questions about training.

Test
[/quote]

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but perhaps he was trying to exemplify how a large population of “Christians” follow blindly without questioning some things or seeking real answers. The majority of the population aren’t high ranking Christianity scholars, so my feelings are that maybe he was testing (or ridiculing by the sounds of the posts here) the knowledge and/or lack of knowledge by the masses, making a point of it.

Anybody who’s actually seen the movie able to confirm or reject that hypothesis?

My favorite part was when he was at the Jesus Camp, talking to the skinny kid who brought up star wars.

I wasn’t aware that many of the mythological aspects of Christ were taken from previous religions (being born in/around December, born of a virgin, resurrected from the dead, performing miracles, resurrecting a man named Lazarus. I think those were the main ones covered).

Really interesting.

The movie was not meant to be completely serious. As for not harping on other religions, well as someone else said, far more people call themselves Christians in the US than anything else, so it is pretty appropriate.

What I took from it (may not have been what his primary objective was) was that individuals’ religious beliefs can be extremely retarded and illogical, and they use these beliefs to shape not only their world views but their opinions of those around them who do not share in their religion.

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
RSGZ wrote:
Anyone seen this?

I thought it was a pretty good and funny documentary - written by Bill Maher and directed by Larry Charles.

Check it out if you have a chance.

Is it out here in the UK? The Trailer is effin hilarious. Definitely want to see that.

[/quote]

I think it was released last year in the US, and seems the UK release was yesterday (here - AlloCine - Select your country ) so check it out.

I can provide you with links to download a DVD rip, if you like.

…he did take the piss out of everybody he spoke to, but the end message was stark and to the point: grow up or die. If you want to watch it online: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ZVCC7B90

Grow up, or die? Coming from Bill Maher?

Maher’s just preaching to the choir.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Grow up, or die? Coming from Bill Maher?[/quote]

As in stop clinging to an archaic bronze age religion that you’ve been following blindly like a child would do.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Grow up, or die? Coming from Bill Maher?[/quote]

As in stop clinging to an archaic bronze age religion that you’ve been following blindly like a child would do.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:

As in stop clinging to an archaic bronze age religion that you’ve been following blindly like a child would do.[/quote]

Like a child would do? Since when has religion been exclusive to children? If Maher has himself in mind when asking anyone to grow up…lol. What, are we all supposed to live like preachy, decadent, rich, celebrity-stoners?

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Like a child would do? Since when has religion been exclusive to children? If Maher has himself in mind when asking anyone to grow up…lol. What, are we all supposed to live like preachy, decadent, rich, celebrity-stoners?[/quote]

I’m not sure how you thought I was saying religion was for children, I was pointing out that it’s pretty childlike to cling to something that outlandish and obviously made-up with no proof.

We’re supposed to stop making decisions for OTHERS based on literature that condones stoning and incest. Why should I swear to tell the truth on the Bible in court? Why “In God We Trust”? Why “so help me God”? Why ban things based on RELIGIOUS justification? Why did a CARTOONIST get threatened with death for some cartoons? Why do abortion clinics get bombed?

Not everyone is Christian or Arab or Hindu or Buddhist or even religious.

At least, that’s what I think he’s trying to say. I could be wrong, I don’t personally know the guy.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Like a child would do? Since when has religion been exclusive to children?[/quote]

I wish it was. Your right of passage to adulthood would be to stop believing in invisible men in the sky.

Edit:
Ah crap, look what you’re starting, Mr Sloth.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Like a child would do? Since when has religion been exclusive to children?

I wish it was. Your right of passage to adulthood would be to stop believing in invisible men in the sky.

Edit:
Ah crap, look what you’re starting, Mr Sloth.[/quote]

My right of passage would when one no longer finds stoner, free-love, shock jock, sex! sex! sex!, marriage degrading celebutantes to be heros of society. Especially when the bulk of society couldn’t afford the consequences of said lifestyles.

Though I think that ship has sailed. So no worries, we’ll quickly fade to minority status. Here in the “Western World” at least. Well, I personally don’t do this to win popularity contests, so the prospect doesn’t frighten me.

But, I do have to thank Maher for providing me with a bit of laughter. Him, suggesting other’s grow up. Now that’s quality humor.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Makavali wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Like a child would do? Since when has religion been exclusive to children? If Maher has himself in mind when asking anyone to grow up…lol. What, are we all supposed to live like preachy, decadent, rich, celebrity-stoners?

I’m not sure how you thought I was saying religion was for children, I was pointing out that it’s pretty childlike to cling to something that outlandish and obviously made-up with no proof.

We’re supposed to stop making decisions for OTHERS based on literature that condones stoning and incest. Why should I swear to tell the truth on the Bible in court? Why “In God We Trust”? Why “so help me God”? Why ban things based on RELIGIOUS justification? Why did a CARTOONIST get threatened with death for some cartoons? Why do abortion clinics get bombed?

Not everyone is Christian or Arab or Hindu or Buddhist or even religious.

At least, that’s what I think he’s trying to say. I could be wrong, I don’t personally know the guy.[/quote]

Why did state atheism do what it did? What’s your point?

I’ve heard Christianity compared to being a “white male” in relation to it being acceptable to take jabs at for humor and political satire. You can poke fun at Christianity the same way a white male is made fun of in movies, tv, all media… etc.

Do you think a movie like this could have been done on any other religion? Or would they be called antisemitic and hate mongers?

I do like Bill Maher. I used to love watching Politically Incorrect.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
I’ve heard Christianity compared to being a “white male” in relation to it being acceptable to take jabs at for humor and political satire. You can poke fun at Christianity the same way a white male is made fun of in movies, tv, all media… etc.

Do you think a movie like this could have been done on any other religion? Or would they be called antisemitic and hate mongers?

I do like Bill Maher. I used to love watching Politically Incorrect.

[/quote]

I don’t know. The taking jabs at me aspect doesn’t bother me. Again, Christianity isn’t a popularity contest. I wasn’t even going to bother posting a reply in the thread. But after seeing it stated that Maher…Maher…was suggesting that others (of any faith or non-faith) should grow up…

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Not everyone is Christian or Arab or Hindu or Buddhist or even religious. [/quote]

Since when was Arabic promoted to a religion?

Must have missed the memo.

I thought he just bullied people. Admittedly stupid people (he went out and found the dumbest of the dumb), but he was just a bully.

I didn’t think it was terribly funny or even informative, most atheists know all that shit already, I know I do.

My 2 cents.