Religious Misunderstadnings

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I am curious about portions of Catholicism and would like to hear how Catholics interpret certain things. This thread can be used for anyone with any question about any religion and those with the knowledge can hopefully help clear up the air.

I posted the below in another thread, but it didn’t get answered so here goes again:

I married into a Catholic family so every now and then I go to mass with the wife. For background I was raised Presbyterian. Anyway I have 3 questions.

1. Why is Mary such a large part of Catholicism and why isn’t the use of “Hail Mary”, Mary statues, and other Mary implements such as a necklace considered a false idol?

2. How does the Catholic church justify making a man a Saint? Is there backing on this from the bible? Why are Saints needed?

3. Why pray to the saints? For example when I lose something my mother in law always says to pray to Saint Anthony (I think Anthony I am probably misremembering)? Isn’t hat like having another god other than the God? Also why not just as God he is all knowing?

Thanks in advance,

Chris [/quote]

here’s a thread already made called Catholic Q&A: