Religion

Christian…

I talk “more like communicate” with god every day. I don’t call Shim god though. (shim = she + him,) All you need to do is look around you and open your mind up to How you are thinking right now, how are you breathing? what caused all this to happen just the way it did? How did plants learn to use the suns energy to grow? why do we have sensations like touch and smell and sight? energy transfer is communication. Basic atomic structures communicate with eachother. Mix an acid and a base, they will neutralize eachother. How did they know they were being mixed? thier atoms communicated with eachother. Existance itself is impossible unless there is a purpose for it. where did matter come from. if there is matter and there is lack of matter, what is in-between. I do not believe in god as some supreme being. That would be an alien. God is simply everything. The sum of all parts. just like my cells communicate with eachother, yet they are not consiously aware of my total being. Yet I am aware of their existance and I can experience things through them. Such is my god no more no less.

Catholic, but I only go to church on the holidays(isn’t everyone guilty of this). I like the basic principles of the bible, and most other religions, but hate how they get spun to support politics, superiority, or violence.

Jesus Christ Vegita.

Bangs-
That was funny!
Vegita, I see where your coming from, but that does kinda sound like a marijauna induced rant ala Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider!

If God has anything to do with preemptive strikes then God sucks.

:slight_smile:

Cynic. :0)

Haven`t seen a belief system that was as true, day in day out.

I could probably fall into Scient-cynic. If you cant prove it, your guess is as good as anybody elses. But, in the meanwhile, I am confident in my beliefs that some human will use your need of beliefs or psychological security to his advantage in the meanwhile.

Mormon, but only on Sundays.

Kidding, I thoroughly enjoy my religion. For those that are looking, I implore you to visit any church. In fact, visit many churches, and when you find one that you are comfortable with, strive to live its teachings and doctrine to the fullest.

Religion is not just something you practice on Sundays; it is a way of life that should play a role in your daily life. Your spirit is similar to any muscle. It requires stress and sometimes exhaustion to grow. Treat this inner temple just as you do your exterior temple.

Stone

Steely wrote:
Oh, Agnostic, that’s it. When God knocks on my door instead of sending boys in cheap suits I’ll believe he exists. So far nothing in my experience leads me to believe. I’m only 44, going on 45 soon. He’s got 50 more years or so to get around to it. No hurry.

—Do you believe in subatomic particles? perhaps quarks and nuetrinos? cant see them with the most powerful microscope on the planet. cant test 'em. cant tell where they are, only where they likely are using math and some assumptions. do you believe in those even though they dont knock on your door? no smart ass here, just honestly wondering.

Elkhntr wrote:
I believe since the cavemen walked out
out of their caves man has needed something to believe in. The unknown is to scary a thought for many, in my humble opinion.

—That odd, cuz I found God when science couldnt explain it anymore. the more I learned and read, the more I realized how much they were guessing and even making things up.

Kookymonster wrote:
“I contend we are both atheists I just believe in one fewer gods than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
Stephen Roberts

—There are many ways to the father. I simply contend that my way is the way I will follow.

There are also various ways to delude oneself too.

For example. Why do we laugh of Skreetch on tv shows when he thinks hes all that and Gods gift to women? He believes, doesn`t he?

We laugh in major part because we know hes completely far out in the left field in regards with reality. That even though hes blinded by his own beliefs, reality just isnt so. The bigger the gap between both, the bigger the laugh. We know better than Skreetch. He doesnt. Hence the JOKE.

Now how could one be so sure about his beliefs about God (or whatever you call him)? Its all in ones head. It all starts there, and ends there. And you`re the only one who knows it.

If I were to believe in a God, Id always be wondering if I am not just another Skreetch. Itd be even worse. I could never be sure of anything. At least Skreetch got No`s from babes.

When was the last time God spoke to you? And before you answer You have to have faith, you cant prove it, you have to feel it, I know hes there … ask yourself … isn`t this just another form of delusion or denial too?

One guy even theorized that religion, like culture, and many other givens of society, are actually mind viruses. That, like viruses, these ideas use hosts to propagate themselves without a care in the world for the host. And few ever question the origin of what got inoculated in their early ages.

But that`s a whole different topic.

Religion is the reason for more killing of other humans than anything else in the world. Since there are 1,000’s of religions out there, I highly doubt there is one religion out there that has it right. I think it’s a bunch of fairy tales strung together. I wish I was wrong. If you can’t tell, atheist.

I believe in the God who walked out of a tomb, back from the dead, as depicted in the recent “Passion” movie.

let the attacks begin!:0)

—Do you believe in subatomic particles? perhaps quarks and nuetrinos? cant see them with the most powerful microscope on the planet. cant test 'em. cant tell where they are, only where they likely are using math and some assumptions. do you believe in those even though they dont knock on your door? no smart ass here, just honestly wondering.

I haven’t delved into subatomic partical theory in a while. It’s not my idea of a good time, so I could honestly give a shit if they exist or not.

I also haven’t had a guy with thick glasses and a lab coat come over from the local partical accelerator trying to get me to believe in them.

I have had plenty of people tell me about their God though, so I have thought about it, looked for signs or symptoms of an existance of their God and have come to the conclusion that despite my 20/15 vision they must see better than I do.

Yeah, that’s tongue in cheek. My believer just isn’t in full tune I guess. I don’t feel the need to go looking for a God. I’m happy, probably more well adjusted than the average person (unless I’m deluded and my friend the psychologist was lying to make points at that party a while back) and feel no spiritual void. Things are cool the way they are.

Do I worry about what will happen after I die? No. Like any other event in life I’ll find out what’s next when I get there. If I’m wrong that’s the way it goes. If they have a place for guys like me I won’t be lonely, as a matter of fact most of my friends will be there as will be those unfortunate bastards that picked the wrong religion.

Hey Steely, welcome to moronicville. Quarks and Leptons are an approximation of the truth. It isn’t some story made up, its the progressive search for truth. The bible is bullshit. There is nothing wrong with spiritual growth (even involving the bible), there is something very wrong with organize religion.

Christian

I am sure we have alot of differences in beliefs but I agree with Lucid in one instance.  I am a born again christian but realize how bad religion truly is.  Jesus felt the same way.  God does not want religion, he wants a relationship.  Unfortunately, many Christians lose site of this and act alot like the Pharisees.  Fortunately, its not how good I am but how great my saviors sacrifice was for me!  

wow…there are lots of people on here who don’t believe in God, and I respect your right to that belief, however, calling the Bible bullshit is just mean spirited.
Lucid,I haven’t seen a believer in God be that mean spirited and insulting so far on this forum. Why is that? I know you don’t agree with or believe in the Bible, but why are you so angry about it or at least using angry lanquage? And then insulting the posters on this thread by calling it moronicville. Whats about bro? Is that the open minded, big tent mindset of a T-man?

At one point I found that I didn’t really believe in God, which for me was scary because I claimed to be Christian since I was young. I didn’t believe because I started to question the foundation of that beleif which was based upon what people told me, including that the Bible was God’s word to us. Then I read a book on Philosphy called Sophie’s World. I read about Plato, Descarte(sp?), Hume and such. All of a sudden it became evident, to me, that there was indeed a God and that my belief in him was based in reason and logic. The next part was to consider if Jesus was indeed the son of God. C.S. Lewis helped me out quite a bit here. I also started to think, still do, that if there was a God, and that God did indeed love us(I came to that conclusion by reason, though my reasoning may be flawed I still think it is the correct one.) then he would do what the gospels said he did and reconcile the imperfect(that is us by sin) with the perfect(him who is without sin) through his own son. I believe this way now not because someone told me it was correct, but because it seems to coincide with the truths, which to me seem self-evident once they are revealed, some of these philosphers dug up. God bless every one of you t-maggers.

Well said invisible 3. Thank you…

I agree with lucid on the organized religion point. It’s a sham created by well meaning idiots that think that we can earn God’s love by going through some structured set of chants. He loves us - period.

Isaiah says somewhere that the holiest a man can be on his own is like a pile of used, bloody Kotex in God’s eyes (my paraphrase).

Free will…It’s the one thing God gave us that he gave to nothing else. He gives us the option to choose him, or not.

It’s not a point that can be argued from a scientific angle, nor can someone bang you over the head and make you “see the light”. Running down a christian because of ‘moronic’ beliefs is as useless as a christian running down an athiest’s ‘barbaric’ lack of faith.