T Nation

Relative Strength

[quote]smurfkilla wrote:
Im 6’4, 170lbs my Max Deadlift is 375, Max Squat is 280, Max Bench 245 and an overhead press of 150! Just wanna see what you guys think about me being able to increase my bench to 300lbs while maintaining my body, about to get into amateur boxing cant afford to gain unnecesary body weight[/quote]

Oh, and… (just saying)

"How strong should you be? Here are some standards that I’ve used with success the past few years:

Men

Push
Expected:Body weight bench press
Game Changer:Body weight bench press for 15 reps

Pull
Expected:8-10 pull-ups
Game Changer:15 pull-ups

Squat
Expected:Body weight squat
Game Changer:Body weight squat for 15 reps

Hinge
Expected:Body weight to 150% bodyweight deadlift
Game Changer:Double body weight deadlift

Loaded Carry (Farmer Walk)
Expected:Farmer Walk with total body weight (half per hand)
Game Changer:Body weight per hand

[…]

If you have game changing numbers across all five movements, well, let’s
just say the weight room isn’t your problem unless you’re in a pure
strength sport like powerlifting or Olympic lifting or strongman
competition."

• Dan John

Never ceases to amaze me how much shit gets spun on here.

How many have a 300 bench anyway? How many can switch off someone’s lights at will?
Fucken find a trainer troll or fuck off with your 17 posts and want advice bullshit.

WTF…

It’s not fucking rocket science. Do what you want over and over again until you get good at it. No magic pills.
As to what I think of you maintaining a bodyweight of 170 at 6’4" and benching 300… fuck me, I’m visualising your humerus snapping under the load. That or your wrists disintegrating. Pack on some weight or shut the fuck up about benching 300 at your lanky ass weight… (for your height)

[quote]humble wrote:

How many have a 300 bench anyway? How many can switch off someone’s lights at will?
Fucken find a trainer troll or fuck off with your 17 posts and want advice bullshit.

WTF…

It’s not fucking rocket science. Do what you want over and over again until you get good at it. No magic pills.
As to what I think of you maintaining a bodyweight of 170 at 6’4" and benching 300… fuck me, I’m visualising your humerus snapping under the load. That or your wrists disintegrating. Pack on some weight or shut the fuck up about benching 300 at your lanky ass weight… (for your height) [/quote]

I have to agree.

On second review this sounds fake as fuck.

[quote]smurfkilla wrote:
Wasn’t trying to let it overshadow my boxing goals for me boxing is always first before strength training it really just supplements my training! At the end of the day its a personal goal i never knew there was anything wrong with that, and maybe i should of reworded the post but i do plan to get stronger at the other lifts i mentioned, im looking for a more myofribrillar response over a sarcoplasmic response! i know i may put on a little muscle but not banything extraordinary!
[/quote]

Dont forget to supplement your training with heavy dose of cheap drinks & easy girls! ;))

[quote]smurfkilla wrote:
Wasn’t trying to let it overshadow my boxing goals for me boxing is always first before strength training it really just supplements my training! At the end of the day its a personal goal i never knew there was anything wrong with that, and maybe i should of reworded the post but i do plan to get stronger at the other lifts i mentioned, im looking for a more myofribrillar response over a sarcoplasmic response! i know i may put on a little muscle but not banything extraordinary!
[/quote]

I am writing this under the assumption you are being ernest. Your strength numbers are already somewhere between good and implausible for a 6’4" man who only weighs 170 pounds. I am having trouble picturing someone who damn near as tall as Lennox Lewis, but who fights at super middleweight while still pulling a double bodyweight deadlift. SKELAK already alluded to this.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to bench 300, even “just because”. However, doing it at what must be a ridiculous level of leanness seems like it would take serious effort/genetics. Enough effort so that ALL your other training, and maybe other areas in your life, will have to take a back seat. If you want to bench 300 while weighting 170(at over 6 feet), than it seems to me you have decided to be a serious lifter, at least for the time being. That is fine, but I would be asking power lifters, and especially big benchers, for help. Because for the immediate future, you will be a lifter first.

Again, I am not making a value judgement on any of this. I am just putting the responses into perspective. There are people here who can help you be a better fighter, but a big part of it will be deciding if that is worth excluding other things. Add the fact that boxing really doesn’t require a ton of “gym strength” and you could probably stay in the “expected” class of Nighthawk’s post and be fine.(Note the Dan John article that came from is excellent, and can be found on this site under “Figuring out Your Life and Lifting Goals”).

If you want to discuss " myofribrillar response over a sarcoplasmic response" we can, but the short form is that the “sarcoplasmic response” is pretty damn important for boxing, and prioritizing either one or the other is not an exact thing.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]SKELAC wrote:
Dont forget to supplement your training with heavy dose of cheap drinks & easy girls! ;))[/quote]

Quoted for truth

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:

WTF…

As to what I think of you maintaining a bodyweight of 170 at 6’4" and benching 300… fuck me, I’m visualising your humerus snapping under the load. That or your wrists disintegrating. Pack on some weight or shut the fuck up about benching 300 at your lanky ass weight… (for your height) [/quote]

I have to agree.

[/quote]

Don’t assume your goals are EVERYONE’S goals. You are writing from the perspectives of an accomplished kickboxer and a seasoned fighter cum boxer. He is planning on killing Smurfs.

Your nightmare is someone with skill, balance, heart, who hits hard enough to break you. He is trying to take out all of Smurfdom.

Now that I think about it Gargamel was a pretty lean dude as well. Maybe it goes with the territory.

OP, I always thought the cat was under utilized.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:

WTF…

I have to agree.

[/quote]

Don’t assume your goals are EVERYONE’S goals. You are writing from the perspectives of an accomplished kickboxer and a seasoned fighter cum boxer. He is planning on killing Smurfs.

Your nightmare is someone with skill, balance, heart, who hits hard enough to break you. He is trying to take out all of Smurfdom.

Now that I think about it Gargamel was a pretty lean dude as well. Maybe it goes with the territory.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

great post! ;)))

lmao Robert… quality! 10 points.

If by some inkling this is an earnest original post, certainly if he has some superior CNS activity and or hyperplasic freakdom, it is possible but judging by his initial first posts, I’ll be safe to bet we won’t be hearing from him any more.

And for the doubters, It’s definitely possible to eat fuck all, put on muscle and lose fat. I’ve cut my food into 1/3 of what I ate, gotten stronger and leaner and put on some muscle in the last 2 months. Having said that, I was beginning to look like Fat Albert so wasn’t hard to drop the lard. Still, I dwarf a few guys at 6’2 and 250 pounds.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[…]

He is trying to take out all of Smurfdom.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

I approve hard.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:

WTF…

I have to agree.

[/quote]

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

Big guy. Big reach. Skinny guys fight 'til they’re burger…

[quote]humble wrote:
lmao Robert… quality! 10 points.

If by some inkling this is an earnest original post, certainly if he has some superior CNS activity and or hyperplasic freakdom, it is possible but judging by his initial first posts, I’ll be safe to bet we won’t be hearing from him any more.

And for the doubters, It’s definitely possible to eat fuck all, put on muscle and lose fat. I’ve cut my food into 1/3 of what I ate, gotten stronger and leaner and put on some muscle in the last 2 months. Having said that, I was beginning to look like Fat Albert so wasn’t hard to drop the lard. Still, I dwarf a few guys at 6’2 and 250 pounds.[/quote]

Posts full of win from Robert A, one of my favorite posters here.

I’m not going to bore you guys with the details, but as far as his lifting numbers go, tall lanky guys are built to deadlift. I dont see anything abnormal about his pull at all, even for a guy who doesn’t train primarily as a lifter. His squat is lower, which you would expext, and points to him having a hips-high start for deadlifting and relying all on hams and low back (which is also common for tall lanky guys), because his legs are not that strong. A squat just over 1.5x bodyweight at isn’t abnormal either. Honestly, I can and have gotten MMA guys to about that point in just a matter of months. It’s good, but not stellar or even abnormal. It’s only abnormal for boxers to be completely honest, and that is because, to be completely frank, their strength and conditioning thought process is roughly 25 years behind every other sport that I jave come int contact with.

I mean no disrespect at all–i have a ton of respect for boxers and love watching the sweet science evrn if I don’t watch it as serioisly as I used to. Boxing as a sport relies on “regular” strength much less than most other sports, certainly including mma where one must shoot, throw, trap, slam, and/or move on the ground as well as clinch. But honestly, these numbers aren’t something that would really take an absurd amount of focus–except for deadlift, which tends to vary the greatest with regard to dependence on “natural build” helping one out (not speaking of “lifting genetics” here, I mean leverages), and overhead press, which is usually a bitch for lanky guys.

Case in point, average time for me to take a mma fighter that weighs 180 or less and make him front squat bodyweight fpr more than 1 rep is probably measured in months, not half-years or years. While he is focusing on fight sciences 5x weekly.

That being said, it’s pretty obvious the kid has spent a disproportionate amount of time on his bench (like most young guys). I do think going fpr 300 would probably take a diroportionate amount of work from fighting…bench is notoriously troublesome for most long limbed guys, and also the most dependent on bodyweight changes for progress (ie: gaining bpdyweight to gain on the lift).

I’m not saying anything about his post’s legitimacy or his deadlift form, but I really think there is a sort of “low bar” set for what are quitr realistically possible numbers without freaky genetics (& as I said, deadlift is at the top end, but not unbelievable)

Please excuse the typo’s I am on.my phone