T Nation

Relative %, High Bar Oly Sqt vs Low Bar PL Sqt?

Equipment aside, is there a relative % of the low bar back squat that the high bar Olympic squat should be?

The reason I ask, is because my entire lifting career has been focused on low bar squatting and I have recently started training the High Bar Olympic squat more frequently. Needless to say, it is a weakness for me. I have no idea what would be a decent % of my low bar squat to hit on this lift-if there is one. I plan on staying beltless and with no wraps.

There is no definitive figure for it. Your weakness is most likely based on your body’s unfamiliarity with the movement although you should take your leverages into account as well.

The more hip dominance you had in your PL squat the bigger the difference and the harder the transfer will be. So if your low bar was wide with your ass 3 miles backwards I’d say the relative % would be pretty damn high. So less hip dominance in low bar = lower relative percentage.

Me for example, I’m a hip dominant squatter, but my low bar isn’t like Louie Simmons wide and hip dominant, my stance is just outside shoulder width and I go pretty low, so I would imagine I could get my high bar pretty close to my low bar if I focused on it.

The only way to find out is to squat only Oly and see how far you can get.

What % of your bench should your close grip be? What % of your deadlift should your snatch grip be?
Don’t focus too much on these set standards when it comes to training. Find out where your body fits in. If you low bar squat 400 don’t think you have to hit a 350 high bar, that makes no sense. Your using the high bar squat to bring up a weakness, its assisting your main lift. So find a weight that allows you to get some reps in and bring up your weakness. Sets of 5 are usually a good starting point.

There are a ton of ways to work them in. How I usually go about it is go up to my work set on my main lift, then take weight off and work my assistance lift.

I think the better question would be, “When my Oly style squat goes up, does my PL squat go up”. Stay consistent with the Oly squats for some time and then assess.

I used high bar squats for 4 months straight (program was original 5/3/1) and it did improve my low bar strength aswell as my low bar mechanics (improved quad + core strength prevents me from falling forward). Because my low bar squat used to be very hip dominant the transition was really hard but it pays off in the long run.

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
I used high bar squats for 4 months straight (program was original 5/3/1) and it did improve my low bar strength aswell as my low bar mechanics (improved quad + core strength prevents me from falling forward). Because my low bar squat used to be very hip dominant the transition was really hard but it pays off in the long run.[/quote]

I agree. Try it for at least 3 months and you’ll learn something useful no matter the outcome.

Thank you all for the feed back. Yes I am definitely hip dominant and am very used to squatting with a wider stance and low bar. I have been working on my front squat and have brought that way up as well. I have recently made the switch to sumo in the past year and I have found that all the low bar wide stance squats along with sumo have been beating up my hips. So I decided to attack my weakness-which is the high bar Olympic squat. I am training that while I am focusing on bringing up my sumo pull.

I have been doing Olympic squats 2-3 x week with my heels elevated on a pair of 5lb plates and started very sub maximal and have been increasing 10lbs per workout.

For general knowledge my best (gym lift) low bar squat is 700 wearing a pair of loose briefs, wraps and a belt (545x8 with just wraps/belt). Front squat is 415x8 wraps/belt and I have started this humbling adventure with the Olympic squats starting at 225x5x5 and upping the weight 10lbs per workout. My thought is that training this new movement very sub maximally will allow me to increase weight rapidly and consistently at first and allow my CNS to adapt to the movement with the high frequency.

Sounds like a solid approach and you probably didn’t even need the advice of us weaklings, haha.

^^^haha!!! Thank you! I always am searching for new advice. I have a very open mind and believe we all have tips and knowledge to share. We can always learn something from somebody.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Sounds like a solid approach and you probably didn’t even need the advice of us weaklings, haha.[/quote]

For real, didn’t realize I was talking to a guy that squats way more than me.