T Nation

Relation Between Hips and Knees

typically you hear that when C&J, starting position of the hips should be higher than your knees , but when looking at some videos of athletes performing the lift, it seems that some of them have the hips very close to a parallel ( almost in line with the knees), or, in some instances, right before they lift the bar, hips will actually go down bellow the knees for a short milisecond. So what’s the correct starting position? Thnaks for any input…

[quote]devoted wrote:
typically you hear that when C&J, starting position of the hips should be higher than your knees , but when looking at some videos of athletes performing the lift, it seems that some of them have the hips very close to a parallel ( almost in line with the knees), or, in some instances, right before they lift the bar, hips will actually go down bellow the knees for a short milisecond. So what’s the correct starting position? Thnaks for any input…[/quote]

Depends on your build. Taller lifters will have hips above the knees, shorter lifters will be in line or lower. Since many coaches in the US incorrectly teach all lifters to have shoulders over the bar, most lifters would do better to lower their hips and have their shoulders inline or slightly behind the bar (again, having longer legs would be the exception).

yeah, I’m pretty tall, so probably I fall into the category “keep the hips a tad higher”, otherwise, if I go lower, my knees will get in my way and as a result the bar will simply “fly” away from my body rather than upwards and along it.

Elite lifters will have short legs and long backs…

Lower hips = more legs and less back in the lift.

Koing

[quote]devoted wrote:
yeah, I’m pretty tall, so probably I fall into the category “keep the hips a tad higher”, otherwise, if I go lower, my knees will get in my way and as a result the bar will simply “fly” away from my body rather than upwards and along it.[/quote]

I had that.

If you go lower…

You will need to frog your knees out to the sides in order to keep your hips in close to the bar and to get the bar drifting back from the floor rather than bumping out away from ya.

Try it. You might need to work on your femur rotation / glute medial stabilizers…