Rehab for torn Pec Maj

Looking for some help with pec major tear rehab. 42 year old with left pec major, muscle belly tear verified yesterday with ortho and ultrasound. This is day four after tear doing FB using a Cybex Isolateral. No visible deformities yet, but much bruising and a bit of pain in armpit area.

Was told that surgery was just not an option since it was muscle belly.

Has anyone got some advice for rehab, seems with this injury they really don’t give much advice or direction after they realize they are not going to surgery. Any advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Forgot to add, about 25% of lower pec major suffered damage.

I don’t know about rehab, but I guess that:

1. Get a full range of motion, while doing strengthening exercises for the range of motion you painlesslly have.
  2. Icing the hell out of it.
  3. adding HGH to the combo wouldn’t hurt either.

I will try to get the range of motion back, right now it is not too bad. Pain is tapering off some, but not sure if immobilazation will help, or if muscle just does not ‘track’ back into natural position.

Was wondering if anyone has had this type of injury before and what the end result was. Since surgery was not an option, leaves me wondering what the deal is or how to best conduct the healing phase.

I tore my right pec partially last September. I did nothing about it until January this year when I got it checked out. I had a large ball of scar tissue in my chest and it still hurt every rep. My buddy recommended taking arnica and in 2 weeks it was healed. I bought it at a health store. It is these little white balls that you swallow. try getting that it was pretty cheap and worked for me. I do have a permanent dent in my chest but it feels fully recovered

OP,

No worries mate. Muscle belly tears are, in my opinion, good news. Lots of blood flow to the area means faster healing rate. Listen to niksa and continue with basic ROM and keep the area moving. Arodyne or UBE are good activities to get blood flow to the area and keep ROM. The bruising will improve. Slow progression back to normal function and steer clear of rapid deceleration activities. These create more stress on the tissue. Patients and intelligent progression. You’ll be back soon. Use this time to get after all other body parts. Don’t let one bum wing create four bum wings.

Thanks for the ideas, going to give them a try and see what goes on.

At present the main question I had was whether or not to use the muscle at all. Seems like the comments so far are to go ahead and use it, although to be cautious as I do. Good info, and thanks for the comments, really had no idea how to deal with this injury.

[quote]rio166 wrote:
I tore my right pec partially last September. I did nothing about it until January this year when I got it checked out. I had a large ball of scar tissue in my chest and it still hurt every rep. My buddy recommended taking arnica and in 2 weeks it was healed. I bought it at a health store. It is these little white balls that you swallow. try getting that it was pretty cheap and worked for me. I do have a permanent dent in my chest but it feels fully recovered[/quote]

Thought that stuff was poison if taken orally?

Think I just tore mine and I’m looking into my options. This sucks