Regulate Fitness Professionals

I see this as an impact of having government involved with our health insurance and classifying what “healthy” activities are or are not.

I do not think fitness is something that needs to be regulated, as you can find good trainers by the results with their clients and not based on a specific certification. I also believe that techniques that get results can be significantly different and still be good. I don’t think it’s the government’s job to say what training method is “best”, but I might just be a sceptic and don’t want government involved in something I don’t think they should be involved in.

What do you think? Is the fitness industry something that needs to be regulated like other professions (doctors, engineers, dieticians…etc)?

doctors and dieticians cant make an obese person healthy how is a government fitness expert going to help
especialy since so many people argue what is healthy and what is fit

For those of you that missed it, Mark Rippetoe’s article

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
For those of you that missed it, Mark Rippetoe’s article

[/quote]

Whoops, missed that article. Thanks!

[quote]Drew1411 wrote:

I see this as an impact of having government involved with our health insurance and classifying what “healthy” activities are or are not.
[/quote]

Let me be the first to point this out: slippery slope fallacy.

*On an unrelated note: I agree with you.

Drew1411: your fallacy is this “I do not think fitness is something that needs to be regulated, as you can find good trainers by the results with their clients and not based on a specific certification.”

Let me say that I want NO govt oversight at all.

Here is the thing though: As Healthcare/ Fitness/ Strength and Conditioning professionals WE the people need to Self Regulate better than we do.

When you have Bippy Bleached Blonde Bimbos who get clients because of their personality but do stupid shit like put fat cows on bosu’s and have them bicep curl… it does not do justice to the profession.

How many “normals” would seek out training from Louie, or Jim Wendler, Marshall “FreakShow” Johnson, or any of the Strong Jacked Ripped people who know the fuck what they are doing ?

Anyway…sorry for the tirade !

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
Drew1411: your fallacy is this “I do not think fitness is something that needs to be regulated, as you can find good trainers by the results with their clients and not based on a specific certification.” [/quote]

Not to take away from the discussion, but my logic is that a certification from the government =/= results or healthier people. Therefore, the government does not need to give certifications or regulations to get the health benefits they are seeking.

Can you explain the clarify why that is a fallacy? I’m not trying to disagree, I’m trying to understand so I don’t make the error in the future.

The fallacy is by which certifications they may or may not possess.
Most here will agree that a CSCS certification will hold more Validity than one from Ace.
CSCS has an 80% Failure rate for first time testers, whereas Ace has an 85% pass rate.

Just because one has clients, does not necessarily dictate one knows what the fuck they are doing.
Thus the comment about the bleached blonde bimbo…Over 20 years dealing with Olympic and Elite
Athletes I have see this way to much . … …

To clarify, I meant “results from their clients” to mean if their clients are actually getting the intended results. Not the fact that they have clients. 100% agree “Just because one has clients, does not necessarily dictate one knows what the fuck they are doing”. The clients actually have to be getting results for me to consider the trainer successful.

I will also add that just because you are able to get results for yourself, it does not qualify you as someone who really knows what they’re doing. Some people are genetically gifted and are able to achieve very good physiques doing questionable things. If you are able to replicate the results with different people, then I would say you know what you’re doing regardless of whether the government thinks your techniques are “right”.

Crazy talk! How can one be said to know what one is doing if one’s government does not think that one’s techniques are right?

Does one possess the force necessary to defeat one’s government? Does one’s cause have the support of the majority of one’s government’s constituents? If not, then one obviously does NOT know what one is doing.

*At least, I’m pretty sure that this is the reasoning used by those that believe the state needs to control everything.

**If we were to speak of a non-United States government, then “one’s government” would need to be replaced by “the government of the United States of America.”

Drew1411: “I will also add that just because you are able to get results for yourself, it does not qualify you as someone who really knows what they’re doing.”

Could not agree with you more !

I have seen many “bro’s” and “betty’s” with bitchin bodies that I wouldnt trust to train a chimp.