T Nation

Regular Pull-Ups vs CrossFit Pull-Ups

Which do you think are more functional for combat sports training?

Regular pullups will always be better for back strength, crossfit pull up’s if I remember correctly work your grip alot more as well as teaches your body how to work as a whole, I’d do them both. Right now I climb at a rock climbing gym twice a week in the mornings and do pullups, so doing a exercise like a crossfit pullup would most likely mimic climbing alot better because you can use momentum an your whole body to pull.

What the fuck is a crossfit pullup?

10 pullups a ten mile run 27 box jumps then bench press 1 rm x10

drewh you forgot the medicine ball tosses and kipping everything.

Bust seriously… what the heck is a crossfit pull-up? You mean a kipping pull-up?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
What the fuck is a crossfit pullup?[/quote]

seems they’re using their momentum to help then up

Ya, Think Cheat curls in a pullup form.

the kipping pullup allows you to get extra reps on the end of a regular pullup routine, its more dynamic, and more explosive i think.

a fun and intense pullup routine is do 3 weighted pullups(with a dumb bell between your feet) drop the weight and do 6 dead hang pullups and finish with 9 kipping pullups. this shit is intense, i never thought i could get smoked by a pullup workout but this did it. do as many sets as you like/can

They both serve their own purposes, though kipping pull-ups would be a little useless depending on what sport you’re training for. I think for combat, it’d be beneficial to do both, but strict pull-ups would be more beneficial first and foremost.

I could never do that kind of pullup because of past injuries. I would honestly worry about what kind of injury you could sustain from doing that kipping bullshit… your shoulder is far too unstable to put that kind of “explosiveness” on it. At least mine is.

Well, one issue with muscle-ups, in particular, and any explosive pull on a bar/rings/etc. is that most people learn how to do it technically before they have the musculature to support it. That’s one of the big reasons why CrossFit is outright dangerous… But are these things inherently dangerous? No, not at all.

People just need to learn how to train properly, how to take their time, how to develop the rotator cuff as a supporting apparatus through a full range of motion… and THEN… you can start working explosively and performing muscle-ups.

Over the years I have seem some really bad form associated with kipping pull-ups… “serious injuries waiting to happen” type movements… and I saw plenty of aching shoulders and backs from doing them incorrectly. Simply put, a strict dead hang pull-up my be tough but it’s a hell of a lot safer.

Kipping pull-ups should be approached carefully and definitely not by beginners and or heavy weights without proper instruction and/or a buddy spotting them (as in correcting any bad movements or form).

With that said, the kipping pull-up can be an important exercise and shouldn’t be ignored but I would highly recommend one to do them correctly without any excess jerk in the shoulders as Irish pointed out… not good for the rotors or the int. labrum.

Why may they be important? Well they are the foundation for learning to perform a straight bar muscle up and in some lines of work and/or operating environments this can be a life saving movement (eg. pulling your sorry ass, plus gear, up and over a wall or over an obstacle to safety). Plus, dead hang or jumping muscle-ups are a sure way to get in a full body workout when pressed for time. One of those exercises like burpees that look tough and are tough but look great when you can perform them!!!

You definitely need to learn to rep your legs or the knees (yes, can be done either way) immediately at the bottom of your hang/swing; not easy to learn but with some practice you’ll get it. It’s a mini swing kick and does involve some “controlled” shoulder roll and back bending; nice and smooth though.

I may only perform 50-75 kipping pull-ups a week during a normal calisthenics schedule and they are typically part of my muscle-ups, whereas the majority of my hundreds and hundreds of pull-ups and chin-ups are performed dead hang, with or without weight.

There is just something to be said about slowly executed dead hangs… really separates the wannabes from the never gonnabes.

Regarding combat sports training:

Definitely a worth while explosive exercise… a complex full body movement; probably better to not cut the movement short with just a pulling movement, add a pressing movement to make a muscle-up.

First try jumping muscle-ups, they are easier and safer. You’re pretty much using a jump to give you that extra kick to get up with your pull; but keep those arms straight, hanging on each and every rep that will make you pull more, jump less, and build you up for free hanging muscle-ups.

Jumping Muscle-Ups: use a box to stand on or find a bar low enough (eg. play ground) that your feet touch the ground with a slight knee bend.

Kipping pullups or one arm pull ups = tendonitis.

kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Kipping pullups or one arm pull ups = tendonitis.

kmc[/quote]

Very much agree… definitely an auxilliary exercise.

i dislike crossfit and their exercises and think they are dangerous and arbitrary, despite the fact i have the same fascination with bodybuilding and or powerlifting/strongman and the same arguments can be applied to these sports by someone uneducated in their ways or without a strong interest in them.

i can’t realise that it’s just another form of exercise and bash it because i have a different interest, which is funny because i sure do hate when people don’t understand my choice of preferred exercise and call it stupid or dangerous.

it’s probably easier to loose form when you do kipping pullups, like near the end you wont be contracting your shoulders down with your lower traps

Retarded thread and theme of thread.

Everything has to be a fight. Which is better? DO BOTH!

Also change your grip. Pronated; supinated; semi-supinated.

This is not complicated stuff.

I’m still waitng for the CF acolytes to jump in and declare superiority.

But kiddng aside, I agree with CLaw. Both have their applications, depending on training bodytype, goals, etc. Just like strict presses and push presses. It’s all part of the structure.