T Nation

Registered for the LSAT Today

So I'll be writing the LSAT on September 26th, and I was wondering if anyone who has been successful in writing this test had any useful tips, or maybe some suggestions for good books, websites, etc. that will help me to prepare for it? Thanks!

I am taking it in 6 days. I have a book--LSAT Superprep or whatever, it is the official one that is published by LSAC. Haven't really put too much thought into it yet lol. The test itself is really a tough thing to "study" for...as long as you can grasp the basic principles of elementary logic and have a decent understanding of how the test is set up, I don't really see the point in spending thousands of dollars on some bullshit class. A prep book should be enough.

There is absolutely no information to study.

The only thing you can do is take as many practice tests as possible to become familiar with the type of questions asked and the best ways to answer the specific types of questions. Make sure the practice tests are old LSATs, not tests that Kaplan or a prep book created.

If you are the type of person that doesn't have the self control to sit down and become familiar with the material than a commercial prep course or private tutor may be a good idea. I had no problem sitting myself down for 5-6 hours a day and just go over the material.

As far as books go, pick up one that is written by a person or group which gives tactics and strategy for answering questions. Also get a book that has a bunch of old LSATs in it, to use as practice tests.

There is more involved than just grasping principles. You have to be able to recognize the type of question you are going to answer and know instantly the best way to solve the problem. That's for the logic section (arguably the most difficult section, and by far the most time pressed section). Speed is the most important aspect of the test, don't expect to complete the entire test with accuracy unless you are seriously gifted. The arguments and long reading passages also have strategy involved but if you have a good grasp of the english language you should be able to excel.

How long in advance did you start preparing for the test?

My major is in English, so I like that last little bit of what you said! I've taken some Law courses since starting my degree too, because I assumed there would probably be some basic level of understanding of the law required for the LSAT, but based on what you've said, and what I've been reading online, I'm guessing that's wrong now.

Thanks for the thorough reply.

Ok, thanks!

Now get studying! Haha.

Hi, do you have a book recommendation (i.e. a book that has old LSAT exams)?

Thank you for your time,
Enrac

Going through old tests has taught me that this is exactly right. The logic section would be OK if it weren't so strictly timed. I would suggest creating your own little system of notation so that you can scribble down and then re-use relationships between elements without having to read through each sentence again and again.

Great avatar by the way, man. I love that movie!

Good luck on the lsat.

Make sure you're going to law school because you enjoy the hell out of mind-numbing minutia, and not because you expect to make tons of cash.

Do yourself a favor. Buy and study the Logic Games Bible and any other books by this author. Best road to 170+.

Good luck.

Hahahahahaha.

Have fun.

In a standard US Postal address, there is usually a comma separating the town and state, but not the state and zip code. Why?

If you can't answer that question, quit now and go take the GMAT or MCAT.

You don't need any understanding of the law in order to take the test. People from many differnt backgrounds take it each year, without ever having taken a pre law course.

I just graduated law school. If you have any questions about law school in general you can PM me and I can try to help (although i'm not sure how much help i'll be with LSAT specific questions). Good luck!

youngoldguy, among the others, is right.

you should get the logic games bible and the logic reasoning bible (both from the powerscore company and available on amazon.com)

there are a series of books that are released from LSAC.org that are sets of 10 LSATS each, get the 2 more recent one (I think 19-28 and 29-38, not entirely sure but something along those lines). in addition buy the other current loose tests. amazon has a buy 3 get one free deal frequently.

so far, the released tests are up to preptest #56, the june one hopefully will be released soon as 57 - before you take the test.

after you review the bibles, do the tests ( strictly timed ) and go over the wrong answer choices (explaining each one to yourself)

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. I'll be dropping by Chapters soon to check for the books that have been recommended, and hopefully come September I'll be ready to rock the LSAT. If not, I'll at least have my BA to fall back on... :stuck_out_tongue:

havent read all the posts but I've worked for Kaplan before and can leave you with following advice:

Despite what you may have heard, the LSAT does NOT measure your ability to reason, use logic etc. In reality, all the LSAT measures is your ability to take the LSAT.

In other words, practice test and more practice tests. Since they don't give you enough time, the highest scores come from those who can work quickly AND accurately and both of those will improve rapidly as you gain familiarity with the way they write LSAT questions.

There are bunch on Amazon. I don't remember the exact one I used but Amazon gives good descriptions. I paid around 25 dollars for it used.

Just make sure you are going to Law school for the right reasons...

Chances of you making a lot of money...bad reason. you probably won't make much nor stay in law for more than a decade or so.

Do not know what else to do. Worse reason. Going more in debt for the off chance of enjoying a law profession. haha.

Want to stay in school. Worst reason. Grow up.

Be prepared to stay local unless you are in a top ten school. In the event you do get into a top ten program, you are going to be bound by what is called golden handcuffs. enjoy.

I just got into law school this year and took my LSATs last fall.

I cannot stress this enough: TAKE THE TEST MULTIPLE TIMES!

Here's a good example. I studied for an hour a day for 3 months. I took all the practice tests timed and did them like it was the real deal. Here were my scores:

154-First day of studying, no test prep

Then I took the actual test and wasn't stressed at all. I felt great about it. My score: 151

Contrast this with my friend who didn't do a single practice test and studied the night before. He got a 147. He then signed up for the next test and did the same thing. He didn't study until the night before. His score: 154

Good luck.

mike

I think what you're trying to say here is do a lot of practice tests right? Because taking the test multiple times sucks, is expensive, and occasionally results in a lower score.