Reggie Sanders on KB Training

Check it out at:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/FE77F9EB74A0C72886256FB200836E75?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2Creggie%2Csanders

So we’re not all a bunch of crazies for using these things!

Mike - Can’t to see what you do with those 3 poods once they come out.

3 poods, 3.5 poods, and 4 poods are already out. They are sold by www.maxkettlebells.com, obviously a competitor of Dragon Door, and they aren’t as “finished” as Dragon Door’s, but they are good quality and they work. I have a pair of each. If you’d be interested in buying one or more of them, I’ll sell you some of mine, at a discount from the website. They are quite expensive. PM me if you’re interested.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
So we’re not all a bunch of crazies for using these things!

Mike - Can’t to see what you do with those 3 poods once they come out.[/quote]

Ha ha, thanks Mike, and I have two DVD ideas that will address the heavy bells. One on taming the 88s and when I tame the 105s next year one on that, ha ha

Mike

[quote]Mike Mahler wrote:
Check it out at:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/FE77F9EB74A0C72886256FB200836E75?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2Creggie%2Csanders[/quote]

Mike, Thanks for posting this one, I train a lot of ball players up here in Norcal (where yes, it is dry today) with k-bells. Great increases in hip drive and core development. Reggie is a good example of a guy that has stuck around throught work ethic. This is great for the national pasttime.

I live about a mile from the stadium. I was watching him do this myself. It was awesome.

[quote]hard9026 wrote:
Mike Mahler wrote:
Check it out at:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/FE77F9EB74A0C72886256FB200836E75?OpenDocument&highlight=2%2Creggie%2Csanders

Mike, Thanks for posting this one, I train a lot of ball players up here in Norcal (where yes, it is dry today) with k-bells. Great increases in hip drive and core development. Reggie is a good example of a guy that has stuck around throught work ethic. This is great for the national pasttime.[/quote]

Your welcome and I get up to Northern Cal to do Kb seminars 1-2 times per year. You are welcome to attend my next one in May as my guest. Just let me know.

Mike

[quote]Geoff Neupert wrote:
3 poods, 3.5 poods, and 4 poods are already out. They are sold by www.maxkettlebells.com, obviously a competitor of Dragon Door, and they aren’t as “finished” as Dragon Door’s, but they are good quality and they work. I have a pair of each. If you’d be interested in buying one or more of them, I’ll sell you some of mine, at a discount from the website. They are quite expensive. PM me if you’re interested.[/quote]

Geoff,

I was once a supporter of Max, and to an extent still am. I purchased one of their 66 pounders (they have since changed it to an even 65) but sold it in favor of an “official” weight 32 kg, only because that is the weight I plan to use to compete. I also have an 85 pounder which I bought on e-bay, but it has “Max” on it so I knew it came from them. The neat thing about this KB is that it has a hollowed out bottom where you can add some more weight, probably by using those little removable weight packets from ankle weights. I generally like this KB. The handle is very fat and somewhat flattened which makes it slightly awkward, but useable nonetheless. I plan to add weight to this one and use it as a “3 pood.” I’ve heard that their 115 is a bit awkward to use.

BTW, I thought that their 66 pounder was very well made. The handle was very smooth which, at the time, was an advantage because DD had some quality issues with their handles. That has been fixed.

Just out of curiosity, Geoff, how much for the 3.5 pood, and is it actually 56 kg (123 lbs.) or is that Max’s 130 pounder?

MiketheBear-

I’ll have to check my records, but buying 6 of those monsters was expensive–I’ll PM you the exact number. Dave Bellomo cut me a GREAT deal on shipping. Just be aware, that they are all the size of a basketball–in fact I think they wer cast from one, or a full size rubber med ball. So, they have a MUCH different feel than DD’s Bulldog–it looks like a puppy next to these monsters. The 3.5 pood is actually not a REAL 3.5 pood–it’s 130lbs–but I didn’t care. The extra volume on the lifts was fine with me. The 3 pood is odd shaped, it’s 3/4 of a sphere, which makes it difficult to use. The only concern I would bring up, is the torque these monsters place on the elbow. My wrists and shoulders were fine, but my elbows got sore from snatching.

[quote]Mike Mahler wrote:
hard9026 wrote:
Mike Mahler wrote:
Check it out at:

Mike, Thanks for posting this one, I train a lot of ball players up here in Norcal (where yes, it is dry today) with k-bells. Great increases in hip drive and core development. Reggie is a good example of a guy that has stuck around throught work ethic. This is great for the national pasttime.

Your welcome and I get up to Northern Cal to do Kb seminars 1-2 times per year. You are welcome to attend my next one in May as my guest. Just let me know.

Mike

[/quote]

Right on, thanks for the invite, I’m in. Me and Coach D have a clinic scheduled for up here in Mid June. Don’t know if you are going to be around these parts, but would love for you to participate. Quick question, most folks ask me about the least expensive k-bells, which would you recommend?

[quote]Geoff Neupert wrote:
MiketheBear-

I’ll have to check my records, but buying 6 of those monsters was expensive–I’ll PM you the exact number. Dave Bellomo cut me a GREAT deal on shipping. Just be aware, that they are all the size of a basketball–in fact I think they wer cast from one, or a full size rubber med ball. So, they have a MUCH different feel than DD’s Bulldog–it looks like a puppy next to these monsters. The 3.5 pood is actually not a REAL 3.5 pood–it’s 130lbs–but I didn’t care. The extra volume on the lifts was fine with me. The 3 pood is odd shaped, it’s 3/4 of a sphere, which makes it difficult to use. The only concern I would bring up, is the torque these monsters place on the elbow. My wrists and shoulders were fine, but my elbows got sore from snatching.[/quote]

Geoff, thanks. Can’t say I can buy them right now but I’ll keep you in mind - 130 would be a fun weight. Shipping absolutely kills on these things. Back when Dave had a discussion board and “The Baby,” as he called the 145 pounder, came out, I believe he said that they actually used a basketball in creating the mold. The smaller sizes were “The Baby” with the bottoms chopped off, which is why they were so squat-looking.

Where in NorCal exactly, I live in Red Bluff about 40 miles north of Chico, or 100 miles north of Sacramento. I’d love to find somebody to train KBs with.

[quote]Crow wrote:
Where in NorCal exactly, I live in Red Bluff about 40 miles north of Chico, or 100 miles north of Sacramento. I’d love to find somebody to train KBs with.[/quote]

Oooh, a bit far from where I’m at in Walnut Creek. I do get up to Chico once in a while though. That’s where I went to college. I’d be glad to hit you up for a day of K-bell training in Bidwell Park.

Just say when?

I live in Chico currently and it is awesome to know there are a few good T-men around here. Up here is primarily the NO2 pump-and-flex crowd…