Regarding BBB

1. I have read that you should not do more reps than minimum on the “+ sets” if you want to do the BBB challenge but I am really unsure about this. I keep getting really a lot of reps on these sets, usually about 5 more than minimum. So I feel like I don’t get enough heavy work in if I cut back on these sets.

2. Is it possible to use variations of the main lifts for the 5 sets of 10? For example z press, block pulls, board press and front squats? Of course I am talking about other barbell variations of the main lifts, I don’t want to do something completely different.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

I believe he has now recently been quoted as saying we always go for “PRs.” Unfortunately, I can’t remember the post/article where I read this. I believe that it is not recommended to substitute the assistance lifts in the challenge.

[quote]JON8383 wrote:
I believe he has now recently been quoted as saying we always go for “PRs.” Unfortunately, I can’t remember the post/article where I read this. I believe that it is not recommended to substitute the assistance lifts in the challenge. [/quote]

Thanks for the answer, I have already abandoned the idea of using variations. I think if I focus on volume rather than intensity the main lifts are superior.

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:

1. I have read that you should not do more reps than minimum on the “+ sets” if you want to do the BBB challenge but I am really unsure about this. I keep getting really a lot of reps on these sets, usually about 5 more than minimum. So I feel like I don’t get enough heavy work in if I cut back on these sets.

2. Is it possible to use variations of the main lifts for the 5 sets of 10? For example z press, block pulls, board press and front squats? Of course I am talking about other barbell variations of the main lifts, I don’t want to do something completely different.

Thanks for any answers in advance![/quote]

Do the program as written - I suggest getting the Beyond book if you don’t have it.

1. Jim stated in the Beyond book that “the one thing that you will change is that you will NOT go for any extra reps on the last set. You will only do the required reps and move on to the 5 sets of 10 reps.” This is for 3 reasons: you’re fresher to perform the 5 x 10 sets having not gone to failure on the main lift, you will maintain strength levels by pushing heavier weights on the main lift, and many people actually get stronger when they dial back the last set, i.e., pushing to failure does not always equate to better gains.

2. NO - “Exercise substitution will NOT be tolerated.” You can add in additional assistance work, such as face pulls or curls, but the 5 x 10 sets/reps of the main lifts are a core component of the BBB 3-month challenge.

Do the BBB Challenge as it is written.