T Nation

Regain Some Mass... With What?

I'm coming back to the gym after a near 8 month hiatus due to life.

My goal is to gain the mass that I lost during this months. I have been using 5/3/1 for at least year and a half, I know 5/3/1 is mostly for strength, but I also believe that the 5/3/1 framework allows me to have a different focus other than strength, as long as I keep that focus and don't go wondering between focus.

So, what would be the best recommendation for this? I was thinking of 5's pro with 3/5/1 but I'm doubtful between what should be the rest. Perhaps FSL? BBB? RP?

My idea was something like this:

3/5/1/ (Squat, DL, Bench) + FSL ( 4x8 on upper, 5x5 on lower) + Dips/Rows/Abs/Curl, 4x8 or 3x10, not sure yet, not really important either.

I would be doing this for at least two cycles, depending on results, and after that I would just do a more standard template.

Oh, I'm also gonna train 3 days a week, those two things are my only non-negociable things. Mass and 3 days a week, the rest, i'm really open to hear from ya.

Power clean 531
Squat 531
squat BBB variation
abs

Bench
bench BBB variation
power clean BBB variation (from blocks) or row
abs

Deadlift
OHP
deadlift BBB var
OHP var.
chin-ups
abs

I have never done a Power Clean or any Oly lift, but I could try.

I was worried about them for a long while. Focus on snapping your elbows around as you dip, and be okay with the fact that the bar is going to land in the clavicle area; sometimes hard. You could also do high-pulls (snatch or clean grip) if you’re worried about the catch.

You think it’s a good idea such movements with some back problems that I have?

And what could be a good starting point for a power clean? To what lift I could compare it?

Thanks.

[quote]leviathan85 wrote:
You think it’s a good idea such movements with some back problems that I have?

And what could be a good starting point for a power clean? To what lift I could compare it?

Thanks.[/quote]

It all depends on what exactly your back problems are; none of which I’m qualified to address.

As for the second, the high pull as I mentioned have a lot of carry over as it trains the same muscles without the catch portion. I know w/ oly lifts (snatch, c&j) guys sometimes train the various portions of the movement separately. They really aren’t all that hard to learn. To master, yeah, but you can learn the basics of the lift in a single session. Start light, and accept the fact that your clavicle will get a little bruised at first. You don’t HAVE to do the power clean, I just mentioned it b/c I love them and feel that they’ve improved all of my lifts. I’m faster, my upper back is thicker, core is tighter, and grip is stronger.

To readdress once more, figure out your back issues first.

I have a slipped disc on lower back. Actually my DL is very low due to this injury, no problem with squatting though.

Thanks for all the tips bro.

if you don’t have anyone to teach you the proper olympic lifts than don’t just do something that you think resembles them. either get someone to teach you how to do them properly or do something else…

there is so many great 531 options to get big and strong and athletic that can totally do without snatches and cleans. don’t get talked into this on an internet forum!

[quote]cbassloves2ball wrote:
if you don’t have anyone to teach you the proper olympic lifts than don’t just do something that you think resembles them. either get someone to teach you how to do them properly or do something else…

there is so many great 531 options to get big and strong and athletic that can totally do without snatches and cleans. don’t get talked into this on an internet forum![/quote]

+1

[quote]bartmann wrote:

[quote]cbassloves2ball wrote:

there is so many great 531 options to get big and strong and athletic that can totally do without snatches and cleans. don’t get talked into this on an internet forum![/quote]

+1

[/quote]

Agreed there are PLENTY of options!

Apologies if I seemed pushy, as that was not my intent; just answering.
As a side not however the power clean isn’t exactly an Olympic lift, and unless you plan on using them in some sort of competition youtube is more than sufficient to learn how to do them.

If you are coming off a long hiatus, it’s best to ease back into the training and do what is best for your abilities at the present time. For example:

Monday

Squat/Bench - 5’s Pro, FSL 3x5
Bodyweight assistance

Wednesday

Dead/Press - 5’s Pro, FSL 3x5
Bodyweight Assistance

Friday

GPP work (this is based on your body/needs)

Morning work on off days - Agile 8, bodyweight work, weight vest walks

Important thing is to start with low/moderate volume and build it up over time. DO NOT fall into the ill informed trap of “build the BASE!” by doing a high amount of volume when your body isn’t ready.

Seems like the smart thing to do Jim. Thanks for the advice.