T Nation

Reg Park's 5x5 Program?

I am a long time reader, but am now finally coming to the forums for opinions. I would consider myself at an intermediate training level, although nowhere near the size I want to be (I know that eating is my main problem and I’m working on that, but I’m here to ask about programs). I liked WS4SB but I didn’t think I got enough work on on some body parts to get size. I did like the mix of exercises though… just wish it had more of a split.

I tried 5/3/1 bodybuilding template, which I liked as well, but I’m trying to avoid doing too much work in the 1-3 rep range (my friend just tore a ligament in his elbow benching and has to get surgery, and I just want to stay in the 3-5 rep range max). I have searched all through here and other websites and couldn’t really find a solid answer on a good, intermediate level bodybuilding program that was an compromise between the variety and balance of the WS4SB but with the same amount of total volume as the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template.

So I’m wondering if anyone has used this version of Reg Park’s 5x5 and has any input about why it might be better or worse than WS4SB or the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template.

Reg Park’s 5x5
Workout A

• Back Squats 5x5 (2 warm up and 3 work sets)
  • Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
  • Dips or Bench Press 5x5
  • Wrist Work 2x10
  • Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

• Front Squats 5x5
  • Rows 5x5
  • Standing Press 5x5
  • Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm up and 1 work set)
  • Wrist Work 2x10
  • Calves 2x15-20

His first 2 sets were usually warm up sets done with 60% and 80% of the max for that day. If he succeeded in performing all 5 sets of 5 reps, he would increase the weight by 5 lbs the next workout.

It follows the pattern:
Week 1 - A B A
Week 2 - B A B
etc.

Haven’t done this, but looks legit.

instead of calf and wrist work every time, i would do any assistance you need… at least for one of the days: prehab, rotator cuffs, or whatever.

For myself, I need more warm up too… couple sets w/ just the bar… maybe some rows for bench, but that’s me

Yeah I hadn’t really decided about what I’d do for warm up… probably just a super light set or just the bar before each exercise. Now that I look at it, this program is really low on arm work. I just want to find a solid mass program that does emphasize strength, but not going past the 3-5 rep range.

What about doing the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template, but instead of 5/3/1, doing 5x5?

Workout A

• Back Squats 5x5 (2 warm up and 3 work sets)
  • Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
  • Dips or Bench Press 5x5
  • tricep extensons/barbell curls super sets 2x10
  • ab work 3x10-20

Workout B

• Front Squats 5x5
  • Rows 5x5
  • Standing Press 5x5
  • Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm up and 1 work set)
  • wrist work 2x10
  • Calves 2x15-20

not hard really.

Could I even just do the first four main exercises, than just add assistance as necessary? (So arms and some prehab stuff?)

Although I like your modification, Ryan haha. I should have figured that out lol

Reg Park’s Favorite Program

Deltoids and Upper Back

• Press Behind Neck 4-10 Sets, 5 Reps.
  • Heavy Bent arm Lateral Raises 5-10 Sets, 10 Reps

Chest

• Bench Press 5-10 Sets, 2 Reps (That’s Right 2 Reps!)

Thighs

• Squat 5 Sets, 5 Reps (of all exercises, this one was my favorite.)
  • Hack Lift 5 Sets, 5 Reps

Biceps

• Barbell Curl 5 Sets, 5-8 Reps
  • Incline Dumbbell Curls 5 Sets, 5-8 Reps

Triceps

• French Press - I did these standing and lying on the bench.

Calves

• Calf Machine 25 Reps, Many Sets.
  • Donkey Calf Raises 25 Reps, Many Sets

Back

• High Pullups 5-8 Sets, 3 Reps.
  • Power Clean 5-8 Sets, 3 Reps.
  • Chins Behind Neck 5-8 Sets, 5-8 Reps (weights tied to waist.)

Waist and Trunk Area

• Leg Raises and Side Bends 100 or more Reps.

I’ve always preferred the stronglifts pairings . A. Flatbench. Backsquats. Rows. Then. B. Deadlift. Overheadpress. Squats.

Do the exercises in order of importance to you. Whether that be bringing up the weakes lift or increasing the strongest. Example. Being a guy who does 2 day fullbody I choose to emphasize deadlift in workout B by doing it first and for a fullworkout say a full 5x5 vs a 1x5. On yours you could do frontsquats on this day emphasizing it 5x5 or having it take a backseat n do 3x5 ans vice versa for the deadlift.

For Reg Park’s favorite program… are each of those things different days? Or how does he split those?

full body not great for intermediates, try 5/3/1 Boring but big challenge if don’t want to go too heavy

Oh, Crud! I’m a newbie…been lifting on & off for yrs. Don’t wanna be giant. Just started again, got tired of gettin old…I’ve been f’in around w/ 5X5…how long btween sets? My goal is to be stringer then shit! If I gain a bit more weight, whatever. I’m 5’9" @ 170. I’m 61, at 30 & 150 I was benching 3 reps @ 210. I don’t know about gettin that light again…I fly hang gliders and the weight is good. I used to fly w/ 20-40 lbs of scuba wts…and I need definitions on which lifts are which…ft/bk etc.
Thanks for your indulgence!
PS thinkin about Andropen 275…any opinions?

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
full body not great for intermediates, try 5/3/1 Boring but big challenge if don’t want to go too heavy[/quote]

uhh madcows, texas method and sheiko are all good fullbody programs for intermediates.

I find it strange that anybody would do wrist work when not doing bicep curls. I did it myself before but noticed that people who never do any wrist curls still have big forearms, because bicep curls work forearms too. So in my opinion, biceps instead of wrist work.