Refrigerate Fish Oil?

I read that Flameout needs to be refrigerated after opening, is this the same way with all fish oil?

I don’t know if they all have to. I buy mine from Costco and refrigerate just to be safe.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I read that Flameout needs to be refrigerated after opening, is this the same way with all fish oil?[/quote]

I don’t know, but I do. What can it hurt?

–Tiribulus->

The reason why Flameout needs to be refrigerated (as stated, if I remember correctly, by Cy Wilson) is to keep oxidation slow.

Flameout is packed under nitrogen, so initially there’s no oxidation whatsoever. Once you open the bottle thou’, oxygen from the air creeps in, so oxidation starts to diminish the quality of the supplement. To keep the process as slow as possible, put it in the fridge, since the speed of most chemical reactions (oxidation included) depends on temperature.

Flameout and regular fish oil capsules are similar - it’s fish oil in a gelatin capsule. What affects Flameout must affect “normal” fish oil.

Therefore, yes, the fridge is good for “regular” fish oil too.

so according to that logic, you should refrigerate all your supps - multivitamins included?

actually, since refrigeration slows down oxidation, I am moving to canada and living in my fridge.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
so according to that logic, you should refrigerate all your supps - multivitamins included?[/quote]

I do. There’s room and again, what can it hurt?

–Tiribulus->

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
actually, since refrigeration slows down oxidation, I am moving to canada and living in my fridge.[/quote]

Or you could swallow whole ice cubes constantly.

[quote]MikeSh wrote:
so according to that logic, you should refrigerate all your supps - multivitamins included?[/quote]

There is no such conclusion to be derived from what’s been said above. Not all supplements are as susceptible to oxidation or, indeed, are susceptible at all. Some supplements must be so inert to oxygen as to make refrigeration pointless.

In any case, a lower storage temperature can’t hurt.

[quote]florin wrote:
MikeSh wrote:
so according to that logic, you should refrigerate all your supps - multivitamins included?

There is no such conclusion to be derived from what’s been said above. Not all supplements are as susceptible to oxidation or, indeed, are susceptible at all. Some supplements must be so inert to oxygen as to make refrigeration pointless.

In any case, a lower storage temperature can’t hurt.[/quote]

oh, thank you. So which supplements are susceptible, and which are not?

[quote]MikeSh wrote:

No. In general, you want to keep all supps in a cool, dry place. Heat and moisture are the enemies.

The refrigerator is cool, but not dry. For most supplements (multivitamins, for example) the moisture in the fridge will do more damage than if you’d simply left them on a shelf at room temp.

The only ones you want to refrigerate are EFAs such as fish oil, flax oil, evening primrose oil, etc.

[quote]jwillow wrote:
The refrigerator is cool, but not dry. For most supplements (multivitamins, for example) the moisture in the fridge will do more damage than if you’d simply left them on a shelf at room temp.
[/quote]

I wasn’t going to get into that much detail, but not having central air and hence no cool dry place in the summer I got in the habit of keeping my multi’s and mineral caps in the freezer and only have them out long enough to grab one anyway. I don’t remember when exactly I picked up that habit.

–Tiribulus->

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
actually, since refrigeration slows down oxidation, I am moving to canada and living in my fridge.

Or you could swallow whole ice cubes constantly.[/quote]

Or you could seal your windows with duct tape and fill your house with nitrogen.

[quote]ec_fritz wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

Or you could swallow whole ice cubes constantly.

Or you could seal your windows with duct tape and fill your house with nitrogen.
[/quote]

Or put life size posters of Janet Reno on your wall ;-]

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I read that Flameout needs to be refrigerated after opening, is this the same way with all fish oil?[/quote]

Hell yes. Olive oil, too, if you have a hot kitchen.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
Hell yes. Olive oil, too, if you have a hot kitchen.[/quote]

I keep the big bottle in the fridge and put a few days worth at a time in a brown glass vitamin bottle. It gets irritating to me trying to get it out when the saturated portion gets sludgy.

–Tiribulus->