T Nation

Refrigerate After Opening?

Just about every packaged food says to refrigerate after opening.

I understand refrigerating foods that spoil easily like milk.

But grated parmesian cheese? All natural pb?

Is this really necessary?

Is it really that much of a hassle?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Is it really that much of a hassle?[/quote]

Refrigerators only have so much room. My roomate sticks a case of bottled water and sodapops in.

Leaving the parmesian cheese out of the fridge makes me sleep easier at night.

as far as parmesan cheese, I still see it as cheese, which needs to be in the fridge. it’s probably more susceptible to bactieria being mainly protein.

natural peanut butter should be refridgerated 'cause it will stay fresher, longer. The oil in it can turn rancid after time. I know some people who don’t put it in the fridge, and turns really runny and doesn’t have a very good mouth-feel…to me, anyway. and it helps the oild and peanuts to stay combined.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
Leaving the parmesian cheese out of the fridge makes me sleep easier at night.[/quote]

Then leave it out. I eat my gouda at room temperature and have never had a problem.

[quote]technic wrote:
natural peanut butter should be refridgerated[/quote]

Not all. The kind I use specifically says not to refrigerate it.

To the OP- if it says “Refrigerate After Opening” it says it for a reason. Take a look at all the stuff you have in your fridge that doesn’t even need to be in there. Do you really need an entire case of water? Why not just put in four or five at a time?

So how long does oil stay before going rancid?

I have olive oil that I keep in a cabinet. How long is that good for?

Am I supposed to refridgerate that stuff?

I’d figure that peanutbutter stays for a good amount of time too, because its just peanuts. Do you refrigerate peanuts? no!

Olive oil has an expiration date stamped on the bottle, although I have used oil that’s a good 6 months past this date. I didn’t get sick, but I still threw it out just in case.

As for the rest of the stuff- if it says “refrigerate after opening”, then put it in the fridge.

I’d figure that peanutbutter stays for a good amount of time too, because its just peanuts. Do you refrigerate peanuts? no![/quote]

I don’t refrigerate any oils. Typically you don’t need to unless they say to, which I’ve never come across.

I’d figure that peanutbutter stays for a good amount of time too, because its just peanuts. Do you refrigerate peanuts? no![/quote]

I have read that Extra Virgin Olive Oil only last for a month after opening. Now, I have used mine longer than that and not had problems. Apparently, it loses a lot of its flavor after that. Reguler, Olive Oil is supposed to be good for three months after opening. Once again, never been a problem.

I buy my oil at costco so I end up with a lot more than I can use in a motnh.

Cheese, you don’t have to but it will last longer. When it starts to mold, you can cut that off. That is what they do at a deli counter.