T Nation

Reformatting External Hard Drive from PC to Mac

Is there a way for me to do this without having to delete all my documents/music/photos? I put them on my external in the hope that I could easily transfer them to my new Mac. The external is formatted in NTFS. Is there a way around this without erasing the disk?

Thanks guys.

P.S. If I have to erase this disk, what should I put my files on so that I can easily transfer them to my mac?

From what I just read you should be able to connect the external hard drive to your mac, then transfer the files to your mac hard drive, then reformat the external and transfer back to the external.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
From what I just read you should be able to connect the external hard drive to your mac, then transfer the files to your mac hard drive, then reformat the external and transfer back to the external.

The Mac can read FAT32 without a problem. The Mac will read NTFS, but cannot write to it.

[/quote]

Is there a way to do it w/o putting all the files onto my mac hard drive (~50gb)? Would it hurt to put them on then take them back off all in the same hour?

(obvious computer noob here)

Sorry, just to clarify. The jist of what I want to do is to play music on itunes via mp3s on my external hard drive w/o having to add them to my mac hard drive.

…why do you need to format the external drive?

Edit: Mac doesn’t read NFTS i suppose. Fuck it then, i don’t know…

I suppose what you could actually do is partition the external drive(i.e. format half for mac file system and leave half in NTFS) and then just transfer them from one partition to the other.

Of course you’ll need partitioning software to do that iPartition should do the trick: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23828

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
I suppose what you could actually do is partition the external drive(i.e. format half for mac file system and leave half in NTFS) and then just transfer them from one partition to the other.

Of course you’ll need partitioning software to do that iPartition should do the trick: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23828
[/quote]

Then what? Have 2 partitions and 2 copies of all the data indefinitely?

OP, you may as well just do the transfer. You could theoretically resize the disk and make it smaller, make a new FAT32 partition, copy the data over, and resize again, but one disk copies are much slower than disk-to-disk. So just do it. You won’t noticeably degrade the life of your internal drive.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Anonymity wrote:

Then what? Have 2 partitions and 2 copies of all the data indefinitely?

OP, you may as well just do the transfer. You could theoretically resize the disk and make it smaller, make a new FAT32 partition, copy the data over, and resize again, but one disk copies are much slower than disk-to-disk. So just do it. You won’t noticeably degrade the life of your internal drive.[/quote]

I think I know what you’re saying, but lemme confirm: Throw the data onto my mac hard drive, reformat the external, put the data back on it? Thanks for the advice.

You can just reformat the NTFS partition after you have transfered the files to the mac sector. And yes you would have 2 copies of the data until you reformat the NTFS sector…idk what this “indefinate” stuff is.

Edit: oh i see you’re referring to the partition as indefinate, not the data. Yes that’s true but is somewhat irrelevant if both halves are formatted for MAC. Unless for some reason you really can’t deal with having your external showing up as 2 separate functional drives. Or you can just use disk utility after you are done reformatting the NTFS half to delete and then re-size(creating 1 single drive). Should work fine.