Reenactment Pics

lol thanks for the great reception. i was half expecting cries of ‘weirdo’ etc.
that particular event was new for this year, so the organiser will have to do the maths to see if it would be feasible to continue.
more good events in the uk i know of are:
tewksbury (good battle)
kelmarsh (excelent multi-period)
battle of hastings (reeenactment of 1066)
banbury
plus hundreds of others ranging from country fayes to huge set-piece battles

Our group trains every week sword fighting and medieval dancing (a very important skill for a knight), this helps our fight shows to flow (fight wise) as smooth as possible. the groups founders developed a style thats easily readable for the combatants, yet showy and fast enough to be entertaining.
but the living history is the best!, telling grusome tales to little kids you just dumped your helm on, scaring dads by informing them the 700lb draw-weight crossbow your holding can go through their cars engine and out through the tailgate people just get so interested by it all.
and then sitting round the fire-pit in the dark, cooking your dinner (meat pottage mmm)
and getting pissed on mead and beer with your friends
i love it, i even got my dad and a couple of friends into it

i think the living history is really what entertains the public. even in our small group, we have nobles and ducheses, kights, squires, archers and men at arms, and general scum. all with acurate replica costumes and equipment. those portraying nobles have spent thousands on their clothes, pavilion tents and everything that a noble would take on campaign. then of course armour costs quite a bit, as it has to be made to measure otherwise the articulated joints wouldnt work.

its a hobby that can take up alot of time and money, but we wouldnt do it if we didnt derive pleasure from it

those of your interested in joining a group, the periods i’v seen portrayed from early bronze age right through to the first gulf war (1990’s). you just need to find a group close to you.
iv always wanted to this sort of thing so i used my due of edinborgh (no i cant spell)
award as an excuse, and found this grou that met weekly 10mins drive from my house (result!)

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
caveman101 wrote:
me, as a poor squire on sunday and monday

LOL @ “Poor squire” in a full and extremely expensive (at the time) suit of armour. I thought squires (unless they were the sons of very rich noblemen) would only have the basics of kit and weaponry?

Nice one though Caveman, I love archery and have always been intrigued by the re-enactment scene. You guys are nutters, but I mean that in a highly complementary way.

Bushy[/quote]

shit, what im wearing only costs about £300/350, half of it’s ‘looted’ from dead scotsmen so it doest fit properly. its all part of my character, a 2nd son of a landowner in northumbria who got fed up bastard scotsman theiving his fathers cattle so he joined the earl of westmorlands retinue (who was charged with protecting england against the scots) and now hopes to join the kings army in france, or the white company in italy, to make some real money, rape and plunder!

the archerys fun to, in camp while doing the living history bit im an archer in the body guard of John of Gaunt, the kings son. im working on being able to use a 100lb warbow, i can shoot it once, it just gets a bit hard after that lol

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
anonym wrote:
Rattler wrote:
Screw everybody else, I think this shit is awesome. If I had shitloads of money, I’d get full Byzantine Kataphrakt armour, a horse too!

Ditto. I’d fucking love to get dressed up in armour and get into axe/mace/swordfights and shit.

Me too, but when a suit of handmade armour costs thousands of pounds, you would effectively have to stop bulking or you wouldn’t fit your armour any more!

Bushy[/quote]

that was a real probem back then, as any decent armour was made to measure all the way from italy or germany, costing the equivalent of a ferrari
then youd need at least two specially trained warhorses, costing as much as a supercar, and a horse for hunting, and payng for the upkeep of a squire or two, plus men at arms, servants and valets…

shit, im turning this thread into a history lesson

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3955486939380985268

I’m a huge history buff too. In this day and age though, most people don’t care. Most people know more about Paris Hilton’s sex life than they do about where they came from, except for the guidos who walk around reppin 110% Sicilian, yet were born and raised in North America.

haw

[quote]Sloth wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3955486939380985268 [/quote]

is that the american version? lol

im seriously the only person who thinks this shit is not some very lame shit?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
im seriously the only person who thinks this shit is not some very lame shit?[/quote]

Yes. You are.

You ever shoot a bow? Not easy. It takes a hell of a lot of skill.

You ever try to shape metal? Also not at all easy.

How about ride a horse? I’m betting not.

A lot of these guys hand craft their own gear and groom their own animals.Try giving some credit where credit is due for the skill, effort and talent that these people put on display, instead of insisting on showing everybody what an ignorant punk you are.

im seriously the only person who thinks this shit is not some very lame shit?[/quote]

Yes. You’re also the only person who would give a shit if you never posted on this site again.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
im seriously the only person who thinks this shit is not some very lame shit?

Yes. You are.

You ever shoot a bow? Not easy. It takes a hell of a lot of skill.

You ever try to shape metal? Also not at all easy.

How about ride a horse? I’m betting not.

A lot of these guys hand craft their own gear and groom their own animals.Try giving some credit where credit is due for the skill, effort and talent that these people put on display, instead of insisting on showing everybody what an ignorant punk you are.
[/quote]

well technically he said he thinks this shit is NOT very lame.

but you probably got it right. I love archery!

Go fuck a tweenager. You’re so susceptible to what people tell you is cool it’s not even funny. Seriously, it’s not funny.