Reeds Log

It depends on the jm press, I do a similar style as louie did in this video JM press - YouTube with a pause in the bottom, it absolutely kills the lateral/medial parts of the tricep closest to the elbow.

16" Box Front Squat + Red Mini Bands: Worked up to Relatively hard triple with 365lbs. Did these mainly to to get comfortable with some really heavy Press Rack position.

12" Step Up: 3 sets of 5 per leg with 90, 100, 110

Pull Through/ Weighted Situps super set: 3 sets of 10 with 65/65

Hyper Extensions: 3 sets of 5 with 45,45,45

Rack Pulls 1" above Knee Cap: Worked up to a max single with 635lbs. The only damn reason I did these is because some dick said there was no way I was pulling that much. So we literally added a 45 and then 25 over and over until one of us missed. He missed at 545 at 246lbs I hit 635 at 224lbs. I felt good for me as it was a 20lbs PR but pretty sad for him.

Thanks DSSG after seeing that im relatively confident I did them correctly.

Hey, Reed, can you give me some advice on testing my maxes? I have finished a 12 week training cycle and am wondering of a good way to test, I was thinking of taking either Saturday and Sunday off then test my max on monday if I feel good, or test on Tuesday, I had last trained (DE squat) friday and I have reached the point where I may of overreached a small amount to the point where I think I will get a nice rebound if I take a small rest. Is my plan a good idea?

I guess it kinda depends. If your talking of testing your Squat, Bench, and Deadlift all in one session I reccomend atleast 72 hours off before your tests. If your sore at all your not ready you want your body and CNS to be ready to really fire. You basically want to treat it 100% as a real meet loud music and what ever you need to psych up… Then after that I would take another 72 hours off minimum then start your next cycle.

Now if your talking about testing only one of your main lifts a day I would just go into your next session and use the movement you want tested as the main ME movement and kill it. So say your wanting to test your Squat 72 hours after your last DE day I would go in to the gym and Squat to true max either a PR or fail trying. If you hit your PR continue on with some abs and go home. Then the next upper ME movement you should use the movement your wanting to test same as above protocol. Then I reccomend dropping all ME work and only performing DE movements and some light volumes for a week. Think of it as a off week even though your training you should not come close to failure at all the entire week. Then bam right back into your next 12 week cycle.

The latter is the protocol I use I pretty much test my max in atleast some movement every week. But i have found I respond very well to just going heavy alot and staying used to feeling and moving heavy weight atleast 60% of the week.

Weird, the forums ate my post or something.

Yes I will be testing all three, so I will wait until 72 hours after my DE squat day, I plan on getting a minimum of a 330 and try to get a 350 if I can, somewhere around a 220-230 bench with a competition pause, (that is when the bar has been completely motionless on the chest, right?) and a 365+ conventional deadlift I will be happy with the numbers if I hit the minimums, ecstatic if I hit the higher ends or above. I am not quite sure how my deadlift will be from squatting and benching first to a true max, so it could be a 365 as a max, or it could be 20+ pounds above that.

Those wont be bad numbers at all. How much you weighing in right now. Just remember to some what pace your self and take plenty of time between your last 3 attempts seriously take a stop watch a at a minimum of 5 mins your going to have a good bit of down time between attempts so do not rush you will only hurt your numbers.

And yeah bench will be momentarily paused depending on the federation it appears the press call is completely at the head judges discretion. So I would touch remain motionless for 1mississippi and explode. Same with the Squat to a extent unrack and remain completely still before just desending. Also don’t just rack immediately for it to pass you have to show control at lockout.

My weight has dropped for some reason at the end of my training cycle (scale might be a little off since I actually upped how much I have been eating), but I am weighing in at 147 right now.

Hell yeah man that will be some awesome numbers at that body weight.

Yep, all of those will be some pretty big pr’s for me. If I get 330 for my squat that would be about a 30 pound increase in my max after gaining 7-8 pounds this cycle depending on if I gain back any bodyweight while resting.

I had gotten for the bench 200 touch and go 12 weeks ago, and last ME bench day I had gotten 205X1 for a close grip floor press pausing about 1-2 seconds on the floor so I am probably going to set some big PR’s for the bench also. For the deadlift, I have gotten stronger on various exercises for the back/glutes/hamstrings (stiff legged deadlifts, romanian deadlift variations, got my grip strength up, rack pulls up, good morning variations ect) along with DE deadlifts so it should increase somewhat.

Log Press no clean: Worked up to a ME Single with 280lbs ( video above in link )
Incline DB Press: 3 x 15 with 55, 60, 60
Pulldowns: sets of 12 working up from 100, 120, 140, 160, 180, 200
Seated Cable Rows: Sets of 12 working up from 120, 140, 160, 180
Rope Extensions: Sets of 12 working up from 60, 70, 80

Taking the day off really needed it. I already feel better. I’m about to start to training with Sam Byrd ( 1050lbs Squatter at 198lbs weight ) so not really sure how my training is goingvto look but I’m looking forward to it

Wide Low Bar Squat: 440lbs for a single was pretty high though.
315lbs for 3 x 3
Deadlift: 375lbs for 4 x 4
415lbs for 1 x 2
465lbs for 1 x 2
375lbs for 1 x 10 ( last two were a rest pause style maybe 10 seconds )
Hyper Extensions: Body for 5 sets of 12.

Seated Military Press: 5 sets of 5 with 155lbs.
Flat DB Press: 3 sets of 15 with 60lbs.
Chin Ups: Body weight for 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
Rear Laterals: 3 sets of 15 for 32.5lbs
V-Bar Pressdown: 3 sets of 15 with 60lbs.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Taking the day off really needed it. I already feel better. I’m about to start to training with Sam Byrd[/quote]
Wtf? How did you manage that!?

He lives about ten minutes down the road from me. were both from Chattanooga TN. So every other Sunday Ill be Squatting and Deadlifting with him.

March 17 2012- Light DE Squat Day

12in Box Squat: 5 sets of 5 with 185lbs.
Hip Thrust / Buso Ball Leg Curl: Body Weight for 20, 16, 12, 8
10 mins of Concept Rower: 1:00 mins cruise 30 seconds Sprint.

ME Press Day.

Incline Bench Plus Mini Bands: Worked up to 205 for 5.
Flat DB Press: 65lbs for 3 sets of 15
Pulldown: 12 reps working from 100, 120, 140, 160, 180
Barbell Face Pull: 95lbs for 12, 115lbs for 2 sets of 12
Rope Extentions: 60lbs for 8 sets of 8.

205 incline against minis is nothing to sneeze at.

Front Squat with pause: 275 for 5, 315 for 2 x 2, 1 x 1
DB Snatch: worked up to ME single with 100lbs.
Hyperextentions: 5 sets of 8 against red mini band.

Took it easy on volume today felt really good with the pause Squat PR so didn’t see a need to kill myself.