T Nation

Reducing the Waist Line

Besides the obvious - doing cardio in all its forms and maintaing a strict and clean diet - are there any exercises that reduce the waist line. I am not overweight but I really want to exemplify the tappered look.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Make your shoulders and lats bigger.

also perform stabilization type exercises (planks, side planks, side planks with rotation, etc).

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Make your shoulders and lats bigger.[/quote]

Good call!

And… www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

You can’t reduce the muscle around your waist line unless you starve yourself. You can reduce the fat through a good weight-loss routine. But besides that, you are stuck with muscle you have there.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
You can’t reduce the muscle around your waist line unless you starve yourself. You can reduce the fat through a good weight-loss routine. But besides that, you are stuck with muscle you have there.[/quote]

true, but you can reduce the waist through the exercises I mentioned, maybe not a lot, but some. It will teach you to keep your waist pulled in (think deep lying TVA)

stomach vacuums could be something to practice. I think the guys from years ago looked better with a sucked in stomach than todays turtle belly.

[quote]hockeylifter7 wrote:
stomach vacuums could be something to practice. I think the guys from years ago looked better with a sucked in stomach than todays turtle belly.[/quote]

Most believe it is the “HGH” gut, which is a slang term for the side effect that HGH gives, which is actual organ growth, thus leading to the pushing out of the abdominal area.

Arnold had an impressive front double bi pose because of his semi-vacuumed stomach and massive upper body, which made his v-taper extremely impressive. Make your upper body massive and your waist will look like nothing. In my opinion, legs actually make the waist look bigger because of all of the immediate muscle mass following right below the waist, which people tend to visually correlate with the waist itself.

To keep the waistline from getting bigger is to NOT do oblique exercises and a little bit of abdominal work for squats and other exercises already hit them pretty hard. Remember that bodybuilding is all about illusion.

I don’t know if you are a regular and heavy squatter but some bodybuilders have noticed an increase in waist size from heavy squats.

I recall Frank Zane stating that he would switch to leg presses and hack squats and noticed a marked reduction in waist size from when he was basing his leg workouts on heavy squats.

I read an article in muscular development about Branch Warren’s recent performance. Branch actually did very little Abdominal work this year and dieted up instead of down, he looked awesome in his last show. It’s another “less is more” sometimes story.

• Adam