T Nation

Reducing Bodyfat

Hey guys im a big lurker on this site and i find it to be one of the most usefull websites i’ve stumbled upon when it comes to bodybuilding , but i’ve hit a bump.

The past couple of months ive been bulking(155 to 200ish) and made a lot of progress but i’ve also gained a lot of bodyfat while doing that. I want to keep bulking but not become obese . I was thinking of taking a small cut(one or two months) and then go back to bulking but i dont know where to start at . A lot of people talk about reducing carbs and fat and increasing protein while unders just say reduce 500-700 calories from maintenance. I dont want to do anything yet because im afraid of losing the muscle i’ve worked hard for . Could someone help me on what guidelines i should follow?

Here are my stats

201is lb at around 18-19% bodyfat. I’m 5,11-6ft and im eating around 4300 calories and getting around 280 or so grams of protein .Thanks in advance.

Keep doing what you have been doing, but eat a little bit less than you are currently eating. It really is that simple.

Still gaining fat? Even even less.

STILL gaining fat? Even EVEN LESS AGAIN.

Additionally, you can add some cardio if you want. Low/Medium intensity at 3x30 minutes a week is a good starting point for a few weeks.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Keep doing what you have been doing, but eat a little bit less than you are currently eating. It really is that simple.

Still gaining fat? Even even less.

STILL gaining fat? Even EVEN LESS AGAIN.

Additionally, you can add some cardio if you want. Low/Medium intensity at 3x30 minutes a week is a good starting point for a few weeks.[/quote]

Will this maintain my current bodyfat or reduce it? I kinda wanted to get back down to 14-15.Also the type calories i reduce matter? For example reducing my carbs instead of fat and protein.

Thanks for the input man.

4300 calories is a lot for some one who weighed 155 lbs. Was there a reason you ate that much, and did you really add 45lbs in just two months?

Reduce calories some and add in some high intensity cardio 3 times a week.

[quote]ESX wrote:
4300 calories is a lot for some one who weighed 155 lbs. Was there a reason you ate that much, and did you really add 45lbs in just two months?[/quote]

I was tired of being a skinny…I thought more calories=more progress when it came to my lifts as well.

[quote]jadennbb wrote:

Will this maintain my current bodyfat or reduce it? I kinda wanted to get back down to 14-15.Also the type calories i reduce matter? For example reducing my carbs instead of fat and protein.

Thanks for the input man.[/quote]

It depends on a variety of things, none of which I can predict. It will depend on your activity level, your food intake, your workout intensity, your hormone level, your basal metabolic rate, etc…

If you are over-fat I would recommend reducing the calories (mostly from carbs if you are eating a ton of them) until you are LOSING weight. Once you get past a certain level of fatness you are setting yourself up for failure, and honestly you DONT need to be fat to gain quality weight.

You will HAVE to try it and see. This is the ONLY way to figure stuff out, I promise you. You can guess and speculate all you want, but until you actually do the work you wont know.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

[quote]jadennbb wrote:

Thanks for the input man.[/quote]

It depends on a variety of things, none of which I can predict. It will depend on your activity level, your food intake, your workout intensity, your hormone level, your basal metabolic rate, etc…

If you are over-fat I would recommend reducing the calories (mostly from carbs if you are eating a ton of them) until you are LOSING weight. Once you get past a certain level of fatness you are setting yourself up for failure, and honestly you DONT need to be fat to gain quality weight.

You will HAVE to try it and see. This is the ONLY way to figure stuff out, I promise you. You can guess and speculate all you want, but until you actually do the work you wont know.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Lonnie , it’s greatly appreciated. I’ve always figured the best way to do things is by yourself its that i needed some guidelines before something “drastic” like this. Once again thanks.

Lowering your calories isnt drastic. If you are gaining a bunch of fat its LOGICAL. I’m not saying to go on the slimfast diet (THAT would be drastic) but cutting out 500-750 calories a day would be a great place to start.

Take a pic.plz
Not.to be a dick but.my guess is that you are now.pretty fat, more than you think…

protein should be up and calories should be less. Experiment by cutting off carbs around 6 hours before going to sleep and do a mild form of cardio, like a brisk walk, for around 30-40 min in the morning

OP, you seem to have a good attitude and that your heart is in the right place so here is some advice.

Scale the calories back, scale it way back. If you’ve put on 45lbs in the 3-4 months as a natural lifter than the majority of that is NOT muscle. Sorry to break that to you.

Will your lifts go up while putting on weight/good amount of fat? Yes (not exclusively) but that doesn’t mean you’re packing on slabs of muscle.

A basic diet would be figuring out your maintenance calories and subtracting 300-500 since your goal is to lose fat. Keep your protein high 1.5g per pound of BW (so 300g’s or so) and then get 20-30% of your calories from fat. Pick good fat choices like cage free eggs, coconut oil, nut butters and avocados. Then fill in your remaining calories with carb sources like fibrous veggies, sweet potatoes, oats etc. Different people respond differently to higher fat or higher carbs so you’ll have to play around with this and see what works for you.

I would continue to lift hard and heavy as often as possible. Mix in a little bit of low impact steady state cardio and the occasional HIIT session. DO NOT go on a “cut” right now because this will cause you to get right back where you started.

The name of the game is consistency. If you’re a natural lifter then slow and steady progress over the course of years, not days, weeks or months, is the key to success. Don’t go to drastic extremes with all out “see food” diet bulks or over low cal cuts. That will leave you see-sawing bak and forth and ultimately unhappy with your progress.

Hope this helps.

[quote]gregron wrote:
The name of the game is consistency. If you’re a natural lifter then slow and steady progress over the course of years, not days, weeks or months, is the key to success. Don’t go to drastic extremes with all out “see food” diet bulks or over low cal cuts. That will leave you see-sawing bak and forth and ultimately unhappy with your progress.
[/quote]

Amen.

It also depends on the quality of the calories you are consuming… Its not always a number game, that’s just part of it. If you ate 4300 calories of McDonalds for example that would be alot different than consuming 4300 calories from healthy starches, lean animal meat, legumes, etc. Also spreading the meals out every 3 hours throughout the day makes a big differnce as opposed to eating 2 or 3 big meals within a day.

[quote]interlizer130 wrote:
It also depends on the quality of the calories you are consuming… Its not always a number game, that’s just part of the it. If you ate 4300 calories of McDonalds for example that would be alot different than consuming 4300 calories from healthy starches, lean animal meat, legumes, etc. Also spreading the meals out every 3 hours throughout the day makes a big differnce as opposed to eating 2 or 3 big meals within a day.[/quote]

be prepared…

[quote]zraw wrote:

It also depends on the quality of the calories you are consuming… Its not always a number game, that’s just part of the it. If you ate 4300 calories of McDonalds for example that would be alot different than consuming 4300 calories from healthy starches, lean animal meat, legumes, etc. Also spreading the meals out every 3 hours throughout the day makes a big differnce as opposed to eating 2 or 3 big meals within a day.[/quote]

be prepared…[/quote]

GFY you French dickhead, I just lold and spat soy sauce infused chicken all over my laptop and it came out my nose/now resides deep in my sinuses. I just pictured you handing this poor guy the lube and saying that…fucking LOL

[quote]hlss09 wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

be prepared…[/quote]

GFY you French dickhead, I just lold and spat soy sauce infused chicken all over my laptop and it came out my nose/now resides deep in my sinuses. I just pictured you handing this poor guy the lube and saying that…fucking LOL [/quote]

LOL! sorry about the chicken, hope you still ate it, dont lose the prots!!