T Nation

Redness and Swelling

So i pinned 1cc of test cyp in the right delt (5/8") 25g on saturday. sunday I had some soreness but nothing unusual for a first shot. Monday it started getting blotchy red. Tueday is fully red about the size of a baseball and warm to the touch but not itchy. Doctor said take some amoxicillin and dont worry about it but naturally I am…

BTW I swabbed everything down real good with alcohol, (stoppers, draw needle, skin) Only thing I dont remember swabbing is the injection needle like an A*hole but tough way to make me remember. Always been good before this.
Any input?

anyone?

[quote]Hawks2842 wrote:
So i pinned 1cc of test cyp in the right delt (5/8") 25g on saturday. sunday I had some soreness but nothing unusual for a first shot. Monday it started getting blotchy red. Tueday is fully red about the size of a baseball and warm to the touch but not itchy. Doctor said take some amoxicillin and dont worry about it but naturally I am…

BTW I swabbed everything down real good with alcohol, (stoppers, draw needle, skin) Only thing I dont remember swabbing is the injection needle like an A*hole but tough way to make me remember. Always been good before this.
Any input?[/quote]

Swabbing the needle is not proper technique anyway. You should be using sterile syringes and needles. Your needle should not be coming into contact with anything except for the rubber stopper on your vial (which you should swab) and then your skin (which you should swab).

Read the sticky on painful injections.

It may not be bad technique that caused this reaction - it could be the contents of the vial (chemical or biological).

Is this the first shot from a particular vial?

yes first shot, Theyre all sterile needles but ive just been in practice doing that a year or so now with no problems… It was in the plastic and kept there until ready for use. I did another shot in my left glute on monday and it is sore and the muscle feels tight but no swelling or redness. Feels like a normal first shot for me. First shot is always sore a day or 2…
Delts another story for now…

My question now is should I add heat like the doc ordered or ice, I feel Heat will increase swelling bc of the extra blood flow

Stop touching the needles with things. Completely unnecessary.

only thing the needle touches is me and the cap that covers it… unless swabbed by alcohol but i see your point.

[quote]Hawks2842 wrote:
only thing the needle touches is me and the cap that covers it… unless swabbed by alcohol but i see your point.[/quote]

Swabbing with alcohol is all that I assumed you did to the needle. The only thing that swabbing a needle can accomplish is contanmination.

Ibuprofen and a frozen bag of peas.

point taken. Thanks guys if it gets anyworse Ill seek more help.

You don’t mention the level of pain you are experiencing. The “bad” injections I’ve had tend to hurt to the degree that they pretty well cripple whatever area was injected. This should be consistent for every shot, however. I also find that the post injection pain tends to be it’s absolute worst the second day after a shot. But I start to feel pain around 8 to 10 hours after injection. If I ever start getting pain this quickly after an injection, I pretty well know and dread what is coming.

Also you talked about your doctor prescribing(?) antibiotics. Does this mean you have a script for the test, or just an understanding doctor?

If you current glute injection starts to give you problems like further pain, redness and swelling, you had better chuck the vial you are using.

the pain of the injection isnt actually present unless i am laying on that shoulder or bring it past parallel to the body. kinda tough to describe but its almost like the redness and swelling is whats bothering me. Guess its becoming a psychological thing as well. Runnin a slight fever as well… also have a sinus infection that came on too… so who knows.
No script for the test but it is pharma grade. Docs just understanding. nothing he can do to me anyway, patient-client confidentiality… HIPPA

LEVEL of pain is virtually not present. the redness and swelling is more whats bothering me. the warmth and redness and swelling is gettin in my head now i guess. The shoulder hurst when its brought past parallel to the body and when laying on that shoulder.

Docs understanding but its also patient-doctor confidentiality… HIPPA. the script is for an antibiotic and the test is revolo, a pharmaceutical lab… the gears good, my buddy has the same stuff no probs good gains same batch numbers and all. So thats not my worry at the very moment.

[quote]Hawks2842 wrote:
LEVEL of pain is virtually not present. the redness and swelling is more whats bothering me. the warmth and redness and swelling is gettin in my head now i guess. The shoulder hurst when its brought past parallel to the body and when laying on that shoulder.

Docs understanding but its also patient-doctor confidentiality… HIPPA. the script is for an antibiotic and the test is revolo, a pharmaceutical lab… the gears good, my buddy has the same stuff no probs good gains same batch numbers and all. So thats not my worry at the very moment.[/quote]

If you have a doctor and antibiotics your pretty much set.

You can easily get infections from IM shots even with pharmagrade gear.
Anytime you stick a needle deep into tissue, shit can happen.

I keep a little stockpile of antibiotics for just that reason.

how long you think before the infection does the vanishing act and im good to go in that delt again?

[quote]Hawks2842 wrote:
how long you think before the infection does the vanishing act and im good to go in that delt again?[/quote]

I cant really say how long it will take your body to clear an infection, so I cant really answer that question.

Simply avoid that delt this cycle…

You have no business shooting in it this cycle anyways, and it should be ready by your next cycle or something went horribly wrong anyways.

So its kind of a moot point.

so your saying avoid that delt for the entire cycle? if the infection clears up whats the reason for that?

[quote]Hawks2842 wrote:
so your saying avoid that delt for the entire cycle? if the infection clears up whats the reason for that?[/quote]

Why would you bother shooting into a site that exploded with infection when there are so many other perfectly easy sites available.

Just play it easy and safe, if you just love shooting that delt, then its up to your/your doc’s judgment when the infection is completely cleared and everything is good to go to inject IM.

I kind of don’t think it was an infection of any kind and just an overreaction on the OP’s part.

And he seems to be of the same mind.

I have had site that hurt like one of the alien babies from Alien was going to pop out: massive pain, redness, heat from the site, feverish, flu-like feeling, can’t work out or sleep on that site, temporary crippling, extreme muscle hardening. But…it eventually passed. I never went to the doctor and I just started using the site again (obviously with a non-contaminated product).

The human body is impressively, incredibly resilient. Because I have no idea who the OP is, I don’t necessarily trust him to understand his body like I do, but generally I think a genuine infection will be pretty obvious and your whole damned cycle is going to take a hit, not just your arm.

And if it’s an abscess…well, that’s something even more…isn’t it.