Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Well thats totally understandable why you don’t like doing it then, bad history sometimes makes basic things attach to bad memories.

I don’t consider them all bad memories, but I feel like I’ve spent enough time in the yard to last me a lifetime. :smile:

I will do the lawn any time before dishes. The lawn can take a few hours, the dishes just a few minutes.

@Frank_C @littlelee
I HATE getting gas! And that takes zero effort and what? 3 minutes? lol

Woke at 240.6 lbs again.

GSS&S W8 D4

ELLIPTICAL
30 min Level 5 Incline 10 2.69 miles
This is a much less painful way to work on my endurance. I don’t know if it’ll transfer to running but I thought I’d try it.

NEUTRAL PULL UPS
BW x 5
+50 x 3 x 5 sets

BENCH
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1
250 x 3 x 5 sets

PENDLAY ROW
210 x 3 x 5 sets

OHP
140 x 3 x 5 sets
I’m not sure how this is going to play out. Starting the bar from a dead stop at my collar bones is going to be the limiting factor. Would it be cheating to set the bar high so I can take advantage of the stretch reflex like bench and squat?

REV CABLE FLY
40 x 8 x 4 sets
20 x 10F/10T/10B

I finally got my decal delivered and put on the lifting platform.

8 Likes

Bench looking strong, man. Also your pull-ups are getting beast dude. I saw the last video you posted of them, looking light on the bar for +45.

And yeah, for the OHP…I don’t do dead stop the entire time when I’m in the middle of my set, I feel like the initial push is strenuous on the back, and eats away at my volume. As long as you’re not half repping it, I see no problem with you taking advantage of that stretch.

1 Like

Thanks! Bench feels solid - better than ever. My current progression will have me doing 285 lbs for a single on week 12. I can already do that so I’ll either increase my progression or just keep going till I hit a 1 RM on that final day.

The power rack at one of my gyms is tall enough for me to do OHP. I think I can set the hooks/rack high and unrack it in the locked out position just like bench.

1 Like

I think the answer to this question lies in how you value the movement and it’s purpose, right? I wouldn’t call it cheating, but it’d become something slightly different than ‘Press’ if that makes sense.

Awesome looking decal man!

Bench is beast mode. New form helping the shoulder still? My shoulder is getting more and more cleaned up the more I used this bench technique and now that I figured out to lower my landing zone there is zero impingement. Loving the Dave Tate style bench…

OHP…I agree with @mr.v3lv3t. It’s your lift. Let it work for you, and assist your movement patterns. Simmons said they do very steep incline work. So strict press, steep incline, push press all helping develop the shoulders and keeping them healthy.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Funny thing. My shoulder hurts most of the day but rarely when I’m lifting. I learned a way to adjust/pop my shoulder from my chiropractor and it’s almost always a little out of place.

I don’t think there’s anything to help overcome the mechanical disadvantage of OHP other than doing OHP. The first 6-8" are the worst and it’s hardest on the first rep. Right now rep #1 is harder than #3.

1 Like

I do the same thing with OHP. Instead of setting the bar higher, I just do a semi-push press on my first rep. It achieves the same result.

And for the record, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with utilizing your stretch reflex. Your tendons and ligaments are just as important for lifting weights as your muscles are, so there’s no point in purposefully removing them from the movement, especially if you’re training high reps. Side note: IIRC, the stretch reflex lasts for longer than some people think–I think it lasts several seconds. So people who say “you’re abusing your stretch reflex therefore you are cheating” also probably don’t know how a stretch reflex works. You wanna wait 10 seconds between each rep? I don’t.

2 Likes

Woke at 242+ lbs this morning. I’m also a bottomless pit today… It’s 1256 and I’m about to eat my second lunch consisting of steak and rice. It’s also rest day so I won’t be training. I hesitate to eat all my food so early in the day since I’m not training but I’m also hungry. I usually feed my body when I feel like this since I’m on a bulking journey. But now that I’m 240 I’m beginning to hesitate LOL!

4 Likes

For OHP when the weights get heavy I kind of cheat. Let the bar be just under the chin, let the bar dip down to collar bone and get a stretch reflex that way.

2 Likes

Deadlift is the only lift where the stretch reflex isn’t used and even on that we all cheat. The quick straightening of the legs prior to the pull is done to generate a stretch reflex. I don’t see why OHP has to be any different. I think I’ll have to cheat a little to get a true 1RM. Otherwise, if I can get it off my collar bone for 1 rep then I’ll probably be able to get 2 reps using the stretch reflex on the second one.

But I guess there’s nothing wrong with going for a 2RM or 3RM in lieu of a 1RM.

2 Likes

You’re really making me want to go on a big bulk. I’ve been climbing in weight super slowly but 250 really is big as shit, and your videos and progress are showing it.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your current weight is but bodyweight stuff is a lot harder at this weight :smile:

I’m trying to get a physique like @littlesleeper but I’m a bit taller so I have to gain a lot more weight to look like a larger scale model of him.

5 Likes

At the gym today I was 220 again, I had dropped to 210 in a deficit, it’s been about a pound a week gain.

:heart: Warm fuzzies. :smile:

1 Like

It occurred to me tonight as I was having my second Corona Light that I screwed up my training week. I’m working security for our independent pro baseball team and the season starts this week. My first game is tomorrow and I have to be there an hour after I get off work.

I won’t have time to train. I probably should’ve lifted tonight but I forgot and my legs aren’t ready. They’re still sore from my slog on Tuesday. I guess I’ll be pushing it back to Saturday which means I won’t be ready for Monday’s workout. I’ll have to do that one of Tuesday.

Friday is supposed to be 3 x 3 on legs and Monday is the same workout with 5 x 3. There’s no way I can (or want to) do that with only one day in between. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back on track by the end of next week.

2 Likes