Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Can you set your fit bit to show zones?
Could do 10-20 seconds on red zone and then recover rinse and repeat

2 Likes

No. I have the Charge HR 2. It’s not fancy in terms of training. It doesn’t even have a timer. Everything just counts up. I can select different types of training - weight lifting, running, treadmill, generic workout, etc, but it’s nothing like a Garmin.

I’m a fan of the treadmill pushes, but some treadmills get moving too fast (even turned off) to provide the right stimulus. The ones at the gym in my building don’t work. Loaded carries always wear out my grip and traps before cardio. Hills for sure. Stairs (two at a time) is the same idea, though a little tougher on body than hills. Super heavy KB swings (100# or more) for sets of 10-15 is killer for me.

1 Like

HIITMillX-with-plates-ready-for-action

This is what I can use. I don’t have to use the carry part - I can grab the front handles and run.

1 Like

Thought this could interest you:

1 Like

Your gym has one of these crazy contraptions? Cool.

2 Likes

I’ll have to wait til I get back home to watch that, but thanks.

Yep. We have lots of cool toys. They do a good job of buying new stuff (even if the old stuff is still good).

1 Like

Woke at 234.8 lbs.

5/3/1 BB/Athlete

C1 W1 D2

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

24" BOX JUMPS
4 x 5

MB SLAMS
25 lb x 10 x 2

REVERSE LUNGES (5 PROs)
90 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 5

FSL - Nope!
Update below.

INCLINE BENCH 1.5s
95 x 10 x 3 sets
superset with
INCLINE DB ROW
60s x 10 x 3 sets

LEG PRESS
270 x 20 x 3 sets
superset with
PLATE CRUNCH
45 x 10 x 3 sets

MACHINE FLY
115 x 15 (1.5 reps)
115 x 10F/10T/10B

REAR DELT MACHINE (SAME MACHINE)
70 x 10F/10T/10B
80 x 10F/10T/10B

CURLS - Nope!

STAIRS or SLED TYPE WORK - Nope!

Hip Update
Today has not been a great day (and I haven’t even been to the doctor yet). I’m not sure what happened but it seems like several things have all come to light so at once.

I had my weekly appointment with my chiropractor. My pelvis was rotated. I could feel that and was happy to be adjusted. After my appointment I went to the gym. I could feel my SI joint slip on the first step to go up the stairs. In addition to that my left knee hurts. It’s been popping when going down the stairs but I thought it was just some tightness. It usually goes away with foam rolling and mobility work - not this time. Today was the first time that I really felt the connection between my hip and knee. And I mean literal connection. I could feel the pull originating in the hip.

My body is guarding my hip with everything it’s got. They muscles are super tight and none of my tissue work has improved it. I’m convinced that I have a legitimate injury. It’s the only explanation. We’ll see what the doctor says today.

I share this just as an informative post. I’m not upset or complaining about it. I just wanted to keep you all in the loop. This is a training log, after all.

4 Likes

I don’t want to like that post J.
Really hope the Doc can figure it out.

1 Like

I’m about to head out the door now. I have a feeling I already know how the appointment is going to go though. We’ve already been here.

1 Like

Hip Update
Well, big surprise, I’m getting another MRI. The doctor said my problem could be one of three things.

1. We missed the actual problem the first time around and found a torn labrum and fixed that instead.
  2. Adhesions formed on the femur where he shaved down the bone. After 4-6 months they go from soft and spongy to being hard. If present then they could be causing problems.
  3. I reinjured it.

If the MRI doesn’t show something then the doc might refer me to someone else for a fresh perspective. I actually hope the MRI shows something because it will give me an answer. If there’s nothing there then we’ll also be having a discussion about modifying my activity for the sake of my hip. There are certain things that I want to do but I don’t actually need to do those things (deadlift, for example). The worst part of that is that it doesn’t explain or fix the tight muscles surrounding my hip.

I told him about my attempts to alleviate the tightness and pain and the doctor said I’m probably chasing my tail.

3 Likes

Hang in there brother. At least you are getting more information to decide which way you want to go…

1 Like

Really consider finding a PT from clinical athlete. They’re in another league. You dont have to do this on your own. If it was just one ailment you can probably stumble your way to a fix, but you’ve got multiple. I wouldn’t even consider a typical PT/Med Dr to help me rehab what you’re dealing with. Plus you will cut the rehab time drastically bc these guys get to the root cause much quicker and on the path to recovery.

It’s just 1 phone call.

2 Likes

I looked at their website. I don’t think there’s a reason to contact them yet. That will be the next step after an MRI. If I have a legitimate problem that needs fixed then I don’t think there’s any reason to go that route.

That seems like the direction I’ll need to go if the MRI doesn’t show anything.

It’s the same with my shoulder. I have a specific problem - a tendon that won’t stay in its place. It’s an actual problem. I don’t really see any way of working around it without addressing it directly.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Woke at 234.6 lbs. My caloric goal is 3000 per day with the hope of losing 1 pound per week. I have about 10 pounds to go (hopefully). That should be enough time to keep going at this rate and reach a respectable physique before I do something stupid like have surgery.

Just checked the calendar. That puts me at 225 by the start of April. I should be good to go.

I had an interview for one of our specialty units this morning. It’s a tough position to snag because it comes with a take home car and weekends off. There’s always a lot of competition and they’re usually people with way more time on the department than me.

I think this was my best interview for this spot (third attempt). I can only control the interview and even then the points are arbitrary. After the interview they give you a score of 1-7 on six categories. There’s no way to challenge a score so you get what you get. They could dislike you before you enter the room and there’s nothing you can do about it.

I just want a good score so I know I’m on the right track with this process. It’s like playing a game. It’s not enough to know the right answer. You have to deliver in a certain way to get points.

2 Likes

I’ll cross my finger J, Specialty units are the best place to be :slight_smile:
Good luck

1 Like

I’m not holding my breath. There’s only one opening right now (out of 39). The Department has to do the interview process every January and July every if there aren’t openings. We get points for various categories and a total score. We’re ranked on a list and they have to select someone from the top three when there’s an opening.

There have only been two people selected off the current list since July. No one leaves this unit unless they get promoted and there haven’t been a lot of promotions lately.

I need to place high and hope for a lot of promotions in the next few months to create some openings.

2 Likes

Training

It’s supposed to be a day of Airdyne and mobility work. I played basketball instead. I think I got four games in - my legs are shot.

2 Likes

Sure, I understand.

A torn hip labrum and lax/loose bicep tendon doesn’t necessarily require surgery. Even if you’ve had a surgery for it before. I am doubtful you’ve had really good care from a high end sports PT.

And I am by no means saying you dont need surgery!

1 Like

For what it’s worth I tried to submit a contact form on their site but I couldn’t list two injuries with the 255 character limit. :laughing:

I decided to wait until I was done with the doctor.

I know the biceps tendon isn’t always a mandated surgery but I can tell my right side is getting weaker. I don’t really know what to do with it.

It’s the same with my hip. The effects are spreading and I assume it’s because my body is trying to adapt or protect the area.

I know I can learn new movement patterns but I don’t know how to get my body out of protective mode without actually fixing the root of the problem.

Hopefully someone can help me figure it out.

Edit: I found the map and the closest one is two hours away…and the only one in the state. What are the odds he’s in a tiny farming town and there aren’t any in the biggest city in the state.

4 Likes