Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

@adarqui !!!

Running is addictive man, especially after you get relatively fast, build endurance and…add a competitive component (race, clock, etc).

It’s fun af to be fast

1 Like

My shoulder feels pretty good. I had no pain yesterday. It’s definitely a biceps tendon problem so as long as it’s not doing too much I’m fine. I use a wide path on incline. Instead of bringing my elbows down to my side I move them out so that my arms almost form a 90 degree angle with my body. It feels great on my pecs and I have no pain. It’s completely different from the form I use on any other pressing movements though LOL!

I don’t disagree with that. I just have no desire to be fast for a long period of time. I have more of a sprinter mentality. Back in 2012ish I stopped lifting legs for the summer to run an experiment. I was curious if I could maintain my leg mass with sprint training instead of lifting.

I had my wife write me a workout to improve my 200m time. I ran three days a week doing drills and other stuff. I did zero leg lifting and my legs stayed the exact same size. I enjoyed that training but it’s just not feasible to get to the track these days. I suppose I could use the new Air Runner for some workouts. My favorite was 10 x 100m with 1 minute rest between sprints and a 5 minute break after number 5 (so more like 2 sets of 5 sprints). The goal time for each run was 16 sec and I got it down to 14 sec.

I’m slow AF by runner’s standards but I enjoyed that type of training. My best 200m time was like 26 or 27 and change and I was hung over something fierce. It seems that the 30-35 second range is about as long as I like to go on a run.

2 Likes

You guys are making me uncomfortable with all this running, sprinting, CrossFit talk. It like y’all actually want to be healthy instead of bragging to people when they call you fat, that you can lift huge amounts of weight and go to the gym multiple times a week…

6 Likes

I want both, Hog! Actually, I don’t really want to run. I just know it’s a necessary evil. And you have to admit it’s pretty badass watching the CrossFit games. It’s hard not to sit there and think, “I wish I could do that.” But after about two days of CrossFit WOD’s I realize I’m never going to be able to do that :laughing:

4 Likes

Forgot to do my daily obligatory post…

Woke at 236.6 lbs.

I don’t know if I’m training tonight or not. I just did back on Wednesday so it’s a bit soon for another session; it’d be better to do it tomorrow. On the other hand, I’ll be able to do some conditioning tonight if I go. If I wait til tomorrow then I’ll be settling for a short session during my work lunch break.

By the way, these daily posts with the date are handy when you scroll back through your log. I knew I needed to find April 10, 2017 to link a video today but my log only shows “April '17”. Typing the date into my first post of the day actually lets me find specific dates and workouts/videos. And that’s why I’ll continue to do it. The more you know…

1 Like

I need to stay away from those Netflix films. Every time I watch one, I immediately start thinking about training for CrossFit lol…which still might happen eventually, haven’t ruled it out…

3 Likes

No kidding! They’re evil tricksters. I have to keep reminding myself that they’re professional athletes. It’s not really much different from me watching the NBA or NFL and thinking “I can do that.”

Their job is to train for what we watch. It’s not something that can be done with four workouts a week that last 60-90 minutes.

I’ll NEVER do Olympic weightlifting. I cringe when I see them catch a clean in the full squat position. I either screwed up my body or I’m not built for that kind of mobility. Hell, I even see some elite weightlifting competitors whose knees cave in as they stand up. I guess they’re used to it and it’s safe but I just don’t see that being an acceptable joint angle for my jacked up body.

That’s just one of many examples of things they do in CrossFit that I should not be doing. I’ll be settling for some decent Metcons and complexes but I’ll never be able to go full CrossFit.

You have a hell of a base of strength so you’d probably be pretty good at CrossFit once you learned the Olympic movements.

1 Like

I think this is more the long-term route I’ll be taking. I still enjoy the strongman lifts (which are sometimes incorporated into Crossfit), I own a yoke, keg, atlas stones and farmers walk handles.

It will likely just be working out for “all around strength and athleticism” once I can achieve a few more milestone lifts (405lb bench, 600lb squat and 700lb deadlift - wishful thinking perhaps).

2 Likes

Training

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

AIR RUNNER
100 meter run x 5 with 1 minute rest
These took about 20 sec to run. I was hoping for 15-16 sec but I wasn’t comfortable with an all out start. I’m not sure if that made a difference. I did manage to run one in 18 sec.

Rest a couple minutes…

Run 3 Laps (1/2 mile) 4:06

HANG POWER SNATCH
75 x 5 x 2 sets
95 x 3 x 2 sets
115 x 3
135 x 2 x 3 sets
These were enjoyable. I’m pretty sure I looked like a monkey with his football on the first few sets. I actually felt better as the weight increased.

YTWL RAISES
5s x 10 ea
I had to drop the “I” portion of these because my biceps tendon popped on every rep last time.

2 Likes

I used to think that, but when you consistently train it and sensibly add progression it is surprising how quickly you get better and how quickly you enjoy it.

3 Likes

You’re supposed to hate it young Duke, that’s the beauty of it :grinning:

1 Like

Woke at 236.6 lbs. With any luck I’ll be able to go to the work gym for my lunch break today.

@simo74 @kleinhound I think the reason I hate running so much is because I’m a large individual. My wife was jogging quite slowly on the treadmill when I left for work this morning. It was a pace that would actually be painful for me. I thought “How can she do that for hours?” and then remembered that she’s 5’7" and weighs 130 lbs. I’m 6’4" and weigh 235-240 lbs. I’m sure running is less miserable when you’re smaller in general.

1 Like

I ran for a bit before I blew out an achellies. I was around 240 running half marathon distances and 30-40 miles a week. Nothing quite like the accomplishment of running 2hours without stopping.

That was six years ago. No way I would work up to that sort of mileage now. Brutal on the knees and lower body joints.

1 Like

I find the obstacle course runs more appealing but there’s still too much damn running!

Tough Mudder

• 3 miles, 13 obstacles
  • 8-10 miles, 25 obstacles
  • 1/4 mile laps, 10 obstacles
    The last one is called the Tough Mudder Mini and it’s newish. That one seems doable for me.

Spartan Race

• 3-5 miles, 20-25 obstacles
    This could be a maybe for me. I need like 200-400 m of running between obstacles.

Mentally I could handle this type of stuff better than just running a 5k. I could see something ahead of me and know that I have to run to that instead of having to run for a set distance or time.

3 Likes

Lunch Break Training

Back Day

PULL UPS
10, 6, 5

LAT PULL DOWN
140 x 10F/10B/10T
140 x 10 (1.5 reps)

45 DEG BACK EXTENSION
BW x 15
50 x 10 x 2 sets
superset with
J ROPE PULL
140 x 10 x 3 sets

LATERAL CABLE CURL
50 x 20 (kneeling so the pulley’s were up above me)
30 x 8F/8T/8B (single arm, standing)

28 minutes and I forgot to do face pulls or reverse fly’s

2 Likes

I’ve never done OCR’s but a good friend of mine does.
That is something that could be fun to do. You run but not that long before the next obstacle.
Nah running is hard, when you don’t do it regularly.
You seem to be running almost all the time J :slight_smile:

I try to do something but I hate it. Don’t you notice that I usually do things that only have me running for 20 seconds or less before I take a break?

1 Like

Yeah I noticed it, but be careful you might start running 40 seconds before the break… and then 2 minutes, then a mile and before you know it, you’ll be running along with the missus.
Nah maybe not, but short runs like the one you do, is gold at our profession :slight_smile:

2 Likes

B4B or something like it is fantastic. The first couple of weeks are hell but it gets better - and that’s kind of the point.

On the hip pain thing, I used to have weird pains in the outside of the hips (=piriformis, IIRC) but then I started ballet and we’re OBSESSED about turning in and out from the hip, and no more.

Teachers are also very sharp coaches about exactly what you’re moving when you think you’re doing something else. It’s the first thing I’ve ever done where I got meaningful coaching, rather than just someone putting out cones and yelling across a wet field to run harder, like I got for football or rugby.

If there’s anyone in your part of the world who leads a floor-barre class (aka Zena Rommett training), I’d give it a go. One of my teachers has that certification and she gives amazingly detailed corrections, as in, your ulna and fibula need to rotate together.

2 Likes

And that’s why I do them.

I tried Built 4 Battle for a bit. I liked it but my list of exercises to avoid is too long. It’s tough to run a circuit at a gym if you need machines, DBs, and a rack.

We have lots of people who teach or lead classes here but I don’t know of any who are experts like that.