Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I forgot to mention that I strained my right hamstring again yesterday. This is the third time since the first part of November. All I did was bend over to grab the ball after it was deflected. What’s wrong with me?

What the fuck!? I just got a bill for my injection. They charged $1132! I owe $646. It didn’t even work.

I guess I should’ve asked but I also think they should bring that shit up when you schedule it.

“By the way, this procedure will take about three minutes but we’re going to bill you at the rate of $400 per minute.”

My surgery barely cost me that much.

2 Likes

Healthcare is a racket man. That’s brutal.

I was unaware that my deductible went up to $750. It used to be $500. It’s not like I have a choice though. It’s pretty much “Pay this” and the only answer available is “Okay”.

The good thing about medical bills is that they can’t apply interest so they’ll get their money whenever I’m ready. And I’m thinking it’ll be well into 2019.

2 Likes

From a week or so ago? This looks pretty light for your strength levels. Just working on pulling as high as possible, or as fast as possible, or what? I’d think you’d struggle NOT to pull that above your head. Great trap workout thought bc of the catch/stretch at the bottom between reps.

1 Like

I love capitalism, but it definitely has its drawbacks. The medical field has devolved from a helpful, life-saving industry to a helpful, life-saving industry that does its best to gouge you every chance they get.

If I get charged $1,132 for ANYTHING, it’d better fucking work. I don’t care if the deductible is 100%–someone is paying for it, somehow.

Shut up man, that sucks.
They should have told you that.
I’ll put a lot of swearing here and just say I feel for you.
And your wife and kid, no christmas presents for them now.

That’s why I’m not paying the bill for awhile. There’s nothing they can do about it. They can’t charge interest or late fees for medical bills.

They were light but they worked the muscles. I’ve been using them in circuits/complexes. In but pushing my strength right now. I’m trying to get into shape. I feel terrible during basketball but I my perception might be off.

I run my fitbit during the games and they take anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes. It occurred to me today that there is more rest in a basketball game. Free throws and media timeouts are a lot different than playing for 10 minutes straight.

I need to get into better shape but maybe that’s why I’m feeling so gassed.

1 Like

Training

BASKETBALL
I played four games over two hours. Played a game, sat a game, played a game, sat a game, played two games and it was time to pick my son up from the Kid Zone.

My son has basically been sick for about five weeks. We’ve been to the doctor twice and I’ve been told “it’s probably viral” so no meds were given. Luckily, our primary doctor at least gave me a prescription in case he got worse. We’re going to use that today. The poor guy has a ton of drainage and it’s choking him. He puked on the car ride home. I can’t take him anywhere like this so I had to cancel my chiropractor appointment. I can’t get in for two more weeks now.

2 Likes

Woke at 240.4 lbs. I did not eat right last night. I had two quesadillas (two tortillas for each) and a couple of cinnamon rolls for dinner. My stomach was less defined this morning. I also had a couple beers and two glasses of wine. Not a good night for health.

My body hurts all over from basketball. I’m not sure what I’m going to do today. My son is still coughing a ton.

1 Like

“Free” healthcare up here, but you get what you pay for.

I would say that it was a very good night for health.
Anything done to the extremes is not good for health or anything for that matter.
Good food, beer and wine is quality, take it to extremes and it’s not.
I’ll bet you felt good going to bed :slight_smile:

In some cases that could be great. In other cases, you die (or so I’ve heard).

I fell asleep very fast and that was a good thing because my wife was irritating me. We made a bad financial decision last year but I led the way. We bought a house to use as a rental property but it needed work. Well, it needed way more work than I thought and it’s killing us. It’s almost done but it’s drained our savings.

Last night we had two separate blankets on the bed because she was washing the main one. I told her we should just get a comforter–you know, the blankets made for beds. She said they’re just for decoration. Well I’ve used them my entire life and always enjoyed their warmth. We haven’t had one for years because she doesn’t like them. So last night she says “I’ve worked so hard and I’ve done so much and we can’t even buy a comforter.” Well, that just comes off as “We can’t afford anything because you screwed up.”

We both work hard and make damn near the exact same amount of money so I thought we were partners/equals. We discussed the decision beforehand. But, of course, after it went south it was my decision, not ours. She trusted me but she “knew” this would happen. I wish she would’ve told me beforehand. She would’ve been right and possibly saved us the headache. She’s told me like six times how she’s worked so hard and feels like a failure because we can’t afford extras right now. It sure does make me feel like shit.

At the very least I was able to just stay quiet last night. The booze helped me to fall asleep quite easily and I didn’t say anything I regret.

That sucks man. Life sure isn’t easy, but everything works out in the end. Soon enough you’ll be looking back on this house purchase as a learning experience and a “remember that shithole we bought 10years ago” story with your wife.

My wife and I are going to be building our “forever home” this coming Spring on property acquired off of my family farm. This will also test our patience with each other. We are both intrigued by the idea of real estate investing and still keep our eyes on the market for a good investment to renovate and try to build some additional equity.

Do you do some of the work yourselves, or mainly hire out the renovations?

Soapbox - this will continue. Regulations have crushed margins for payers and physicians alike. The next 5 years will be really interesting.

Ok, I’m done.

1 Like

I don’t want to start an internet debate (or, God forbid, political argument), so I won’t jump back in after this, but I think it’s fair to point out these increases began after the socialization of healthcare. I’m not saying it wasn’t expensive, which created the opportunity to socialize, but these metrics have come since the shift away from capitalism.

2 Likes

That’s really hard, man. I think we all have to go through this, though. Hopefully you can look back on it soon as a growing pain.

1 Like

The medical industry was about to reset. No one was buying coverage, we couldn’t afford it. Big medical was losing money and raising prices to compensate. In steps the government and stops the free market adjustments from taking place and we have more expensive coverage and less benefits. Yeah! Thanks government for screwing that up too. Now we are forced to pay for shit that is worthless and we can’t afford to use.

3 Likes

I started and quickly realized “Holy shit. I’m in way over my head.” The original plan was to buy it, put about $15k into it to fix it up and then refinance it with a more traditional mortgage with instant equity. I failed.

Our first contractor convinced me he could do everything for $60k and in about two months. That was a year ago and we’ve spent $91k to date. I got a construction loan for the first $56k but the rest has come from credit cards and our savings. The house should actually be finished this week or next but I still have to find money to pay everyone.

@TrainForPain @losthog, the medical industry will not change. It’s big business at its finest. Have you noticed everyone wants to raise money for the cure of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc? No one talks about prevention though. That wouldn’t be profitable. Ideally we’re all sick, but not fatally. They want us to be just sick enough to take meds for several decades.

1 Like

That sucks big time J.
I hope you and your wife will find your way through all this, and that you’ll come through in a good manner.
Hopefully the place will be finished next week and you can get on with life.