T Nation

Redefining Dad Bod (JMaier31)

bodybuilding
t-ransformation2018
strength
performance
t-ransformation2019

Training

(no more catchy names. I’ve butchered the Shoulder Overhaul program so I’m done claiming it.)

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

LYING LEG CURL (hamstring rehab and it works)
95 x 20, 15

DEADLIFT
135 x 5
205 x 3
275 x 2
345 x 1
400 x 1 x 5 sets
Beltless and hook grip. Regular double overhand on the last rep.

CIRCUIT
3 Rounds
HANG SGHP 135 x 6
LYING LEG RAISE + PULSE UP x 10
DB OHP 40 x 8
NEUTRAL PULL UPS x 6
BIKE x 0.5 miles
Time: 12:56

REV CABLE FLY REGULAR/REAR DELT EMPHASIS
30 x 10/10
30 x 10/10
30 x 8/8

superset with

INCLINE BENCH 1.5 REPS
135 x 6
135 x 6
135 x 5

CABLE PRESS DOWN 350 SET
100 x 25, 14, 13
1 minute rest between sets

REV CABLE CURL
60 x 30
Tried to do the 350 set but my biceps tendon popped out of the groove on set #2.

Great session but in spent!

11.22.18 Thanksgiving Day

Let America’s favorite pastime begin! (hint: it’s gluttony) :joy:

Woke at 240.6 lbs. That’s the baseline. I’m hoping to be back to 240 or below by Sunday. Today will be a train wreck.

Daily Dose

WARM UP CIRCUIT (3 rounds)
Deadlift 185 x 5
Ab Wheel x 8
Push Up x 15 (final set was broken up)

DEADLIFT
275 x 2
325 x 1
375 x 1 x 5 sets
I went ahead and did all five singles even though my back has been torched this week. It’s the only thing I’m doing today and I took a long break between reps two and three.

It’s time to get ready for the day. I’m heading to my parents’ house for the family feast. After lunch we’ll head to my dad’s tree farm and shoot some blue rock (clay pigeons). We play knockout - sometimes for money which is usually good for me.

Ha! I just got home and it turns out I never posted this from earlier. Well, the day was a good day and I didn’t eat myself sick.

For all you city boys out there, this is what a good day on the farm looks like.

And now it’s time for a stiff drink. :cocktail: :beer:

Strong grip

Man, I’m working on it. I’m seeing people like @losthog and @ActivitiesGuy pulling without straps so I thought I’d take this Daily Dose opportunity to improve it.

You liking high pulls?

I love high pulls. I’m always sore from them in all the right places (the yoke muscles). It’s tough to have an eccentric portion of the lift but I’m hoping soreness means I’m at least stimulating protein synthesis and potential growth.

Do all farm boys have no body hair !!

Just to be clear - most of my heaviest pulls are done with straps. I’ll usually go up to 405 strapless (occasionally doing a couple at 495) but all of my 585+ pulls have used straps. Similarly, I’ve been doing lots of axle deadlifts lately & for those usually go up to 385-475 without; I recently pulled 500 strapless on the axle for the first time.

TL; DR, I try to do some work without straps, but usually put them on for my heaviest work.

I don’t have a lot but I use my trimmers to keep it short. I have just enough to look gross.

I know. I do the same thing. I avoid using mixed grip and use straps when my grip limits the workout. Seeing you pull my PRs strapless has inspired me to work on my grip a little bit.

Woke at 242.2 lbs. I’d call that a win! I only gained 1.6 lbs from yesterday. I actually did pretty good at controlling my plate. I had one plate of food and then waited about an hour before having two pieces of pumpkin pie. We went to the tree farm to shoot stuff so it was another 2-3 hours before I ate again. I skipped dinner and had some of my mom’s cherry cheesecake (not the dense cheesecake most people know), another piece of pumpkin pie, and a sliver of peach cobbler.

This was probably my most successful Thanksgiving ever in terms of not eating until I was miserable. :+1:

I thought Thanksgiving was about eating too much :slight_smile:

I had a dissimilar experience

I like to eat too much dessert. I usually spend the day feeling miserable because I overdo it. Yesterday was a win. I had plenty of dessert and skipped the misery.

Training

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

CONDITIONING
Run the straightway, walk the curve x 5 laps (10 runs)
This plus the warm up took 14:40.

DEADLIFT
205 x 2
275 x 2
345 x 1
375 x 1 x 5 sets

Couplet (CrossFit term for a two exercise WOD)

CLEAN PULLS
255 x 2 x 4 sets

MACHINE CRUNCH
125 x 15 x 3 sets

Couplet
HANG MUSCLE SNATCH
115 x 5 x 5 sets

24" BOX JUMPS
BW x 5 x 5 sets

HAMMER INCLINE 350 SET
90x 35, 10, 10

Another great workout. I spent about 45 minutes on the lifting portion.

Edit: I just finished cooking my chicken for the week and the pack had eight pounds of chicken and there were only six breasts! Those chickens had bigger pecs than me.

:joy::joy::joy:

Great workout! How do you feel? I was thinking about a squats/sprints/jumps/swings workout earlier today when I return to 4x/week programming.

And who’s eating who? From your observation, we derive a positive correlation between having large pecs (chickens) and being eaten. Thus, we conclude workout regimens that yield pectoral gains should be stopped so as not to upset the chicken/human relational dynamic.

You guys and your depression over eating too much. The more delicious food i eat, the happier i feel :joy::joy:

Woke at 241.6/8 lbs. I don’t remember which one. Initially I was upset because I thought I was up from 240.6 lbs but then I remembered that that weight was Thursday morning, not yesterday. I actually dropped a half pound or so which is good enough.

I’m feeling pretty good today. My left hip is still annoying and I think my SI joint on that side is a bit off. I’ve been hoping it would go back in place but it’s been a week and a half. I need to call the chiropractor. Today is a complete day of rest for a change and I’m going to enjoy it!

I don’t even know what to say to this…

Duke, I’m talking about physical discomfort. I enjoy eating the food–that’s why I do it. But I tend to get too full and I don’t want to do anything other than lie down.

Ahhhh okay. I thought you meant that eating too much lead you to feel guilty/or like crap about it or whatever.