T Nation

Redefining Dad Bod (JMaier31)

bodybuilding
t-ransformation2018
strength
performance
t-ransformation2019

Not a chance! I don’t like to get hit in the face. I have considered taking up boxing for training purposes but I’d have to pay for a new gym, lift less, and do it in the evenings when my family is at home. I’ll stick with my current setup for a while. The Y watches my kids for me while I train. I won’t find that at a boxing gym.

Be that guy at the Y shadow boxing, hitting the heavy bag, and wearing out the speed bag. Please be that guy. :slight_smile:

They have two heavy bags but they don’t look heavy enough. People use them and they fly all over the place. I need some training before I do that in public. I can’t imagine how awkward I’d look because there’d be no rhythm or coordination.

That’s what the shadow boxing is for. Take a vid please.

Peace!

I’ve never been a skilled runner, even before my injury. Instead of running, I’ll do light barbell lifts, mixed with calisthenics. In fact, my favorite workout is a modification of a workout I read on sealfit.com. Perhaps reading their workouts will give you a fresh take on conditioning.

Random observation. My pants, duty belt, and vest are fitting looser these past couple weeks.

Training

Well, I made it to the gym but I don’t really know what I achieved. My shoulder hurt like hell on what was supposed to be a warm up set of OHP. I did what I was supposed to do but I was really just going through the motions for the most part.

OHP
115 x 4 x 6 sets (supposed to be 4 x 8)

INCLINE REV CABLE FLY
20 x 10 x 4 sets

CABLE ROW
150 x 15 x 3

CABLE FLY
70 x 10 x 3 sets

My shoulder popped on OHP. It felt like it was going to slip on rows. And it popped multiple times on cable fly. Not a good day. These lunch break sessions are garbage. I might have to figure out a way to work around these and train at a different time or just plan on Saturdays being rest days.

How does your shoulder respond to push-ups?

They hurt a little but not much. I had good luck with cable fly’s last week. I don’t know what happened today.

No weigh-in because I knew it’d be bad. I felt hung over when I woke up and it was just from a short night of sleep and too much salt.

Fight Night
So my first fight night was a blast. My buddy won his fight in a unanimous decision after six rounds but he got knocked on his ass in the first round by a hook. The guy he fought didn’t throw as many punches, but when he threw one he was trying to end the fight. My buddy (Manny) stuck with it and just kept working him over and hit him with multiple combinations where he was just knocking his head back and forth. The opponent was kind of dirty. He hit Manny in the groin twice in one round. He also spit out his mouthpiece every time Manny started landing those combos so they’d have to stop the fight to retrieve it. It happened every time so it wasn’t a fluke; he did it intentionally.

I got to see another hometown flyweight who won a bronze medal at the last summer Olympics. The guy weighed in at 112.5 lbs. Those dudes were tiny! It was fun to see the different sized fighters. Those little guys were fast and barely hit each other. The bigger guys definitely took more punches. One of the fights ended in a TKO. The losing fighter was from Mexico and he never put his damn hands up. He’d lean in with his head and just take punches to the skull until he saw an opening and then he’d bring the pain. He lost the fight but he put on a show. There were a couple of rounds where he’d take two or three solid punches to the dome and then return fire and land two to three big shots.

I left before the heavyweight fight because it was late and I had to work this morning, but I got to see a women’s fight. The winner has won gold at the last two Olympics and now holds multiple titles. It went the distance (10 rounds) and was a unanimous decision.

It was a fun night. My wife and I haven’t experienced anything like that before and it was a good change of pace. I also got to spend some time with my older brother which hasn’t happened much in recent years. My only regret is that I didn’t take off work today so that I could be in bed right now. But I’m off for the next five days so I’ll survive.

The fight night sounds like a blast. Are y’all going to go to more?

Since push-ups don’t hurt your shoulder more than a pinch, maybe supersetting them with cable flyes would be a good short-term combo.

I’d definitely go again. I’m not sure when they will have another fight. Last night’s event took a lot of planning. There were 10 fights total. My buddy wants to keep fighting but I’m not sure when that’ll happen again.

I probably ought to do push ups more anyway. It’ll help me accumulate some ab work too.

If i was manny I’d have just kept hitting him after he spat his mouthpiece. Surely that’s against the rules to keep spitting the mouthpiece?

I don’t fully understand the rules because there are things that are illegal–like low blows–but nothing really happens. I think the guy lost a point or something but it still inflicts damage which can have an effect on the overall fight.

Manny didn’t stop; the ref would step in.

Daily Dose

SQUAT
135 x 5
185 x 2
225 x 1 x 5 sets

DEADLIFT
185 x 3
275 x 2 x 2 sets
345 x 1
375 x 1 x 5 sets

My hamstring is hurting worse today than it has since I strained it. It hurts to tie my shoes. The only effect it has on deads is that I can’t use the stretch reflex to start the pull. I have to get in position, get tight, and pull. My preferred method is to get in position, get tight, straighten the legs quickly, reset, and pull.

This looks brutal

Really? It doesn’t look like much when I write it out.

My grip sucks though. It’s making the deadlifts harder than they need to be. I used mixed grip on reps 3 & 4 and it felt like the weight dropped by 30 lbs. I haven’t used a belt or straps for any sets of this yet.

Glad to hear you went and had a good time. There’s a certain thrill in watching friends compete and win in combat sports that’s hard to beat (especially if they struggle early)!

Straps are nice when working deads after grip goes. Use them without fear.

I normally do and I will on the heavier days. This program is supposed to help with grip and skill from the high frequency (as well as strength).