Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I prefer chocolate. Kit Kats might be my favorite. Last night I had four bite sized Kit Kats and three bite sized Snickers. I didn’t completely lose it but I have to eat them in bunches. I grabbed the Kit Kats two at a time and I usually get at least three of the little Snickers.

3 Likes

Are you talking about the fun size, or the MINI mini ones?

I’m not sure if they call them snack size or fun size. They’re bite size.

1 Like

I think “fun size” is a misnomer. A TRUE fun-sized Snickers would be 3 feet long and weigh about 20 pounds.

4 Likes

LMAOOOOOO. Yes. I whole-heartedly agree with that statement

2 Likes

images%20(2)

4 Likes

Woke at 240.8 lbs.

It’s a nice, frigid day here. We got a little snow and the high is 30 deg F. My wife is off work and it’s a nice little family day. I’ll still be headed to the gym later this morning.

3 Likes

Daily Dose & Shoulder Overhaul

SQUAT
bar x a few
135 x 5
185 x 2
225 x 1 x 5 sets
My hip hurt with just the bar.

SNATCH GRIP DEADLIFT
225 x 3
275 x 1 x 5 sets

HANG CLEAN PULL
245 x 2 x 5 sets

I feel really good after doing these three exercises. It feels primal…manly. :laughing:

SEATED DB OHP
35 x 8
45 x 8 x 2 sets
50 x 8 x 2 sets
Note to self: don’t do these again. The process of getting the DBs up to my shoulders is brutal on my shoulder. It popped. I also experienced a pretty gnarly pop and crunch when I untracked 225 in a clean grip and dropped it down for deads.

SA LAT CABLE RAISE
20 x 10 x 4 sets ea

MACHINE ROW (both arms!)
90 x 20 x 3 sets
superset with
MACHINE BENCH
130 x 15
150 x 10 x 2 sets
No rest between sets.

BARBELL COMPLEX
Hang SGHP
Push Press
Squat
Bent Over Row
RDL
8 reps each with 95 lbs.
Round 1: 1:32, Round 2: 1:23

Damn you, @kleinhound! I’m currently sitting on a bench at the gym recovering. I got a small urge to puke after round 2. I also need to stop sweating because it’s still snowing outside.

5 Likes

I saw awhile back(maybe 70~) posts back that you said you didn’t like narrow stance squats because of no hamstring/glute involvement. I haven’t had hip surgeries or anything, but I have terrible hips especially when it comes to squatting. What i started doing was doing a “top” single followed by a 5x5 CAT style squat prior to deadlifting with my deadlift stance, low bar and to a box. If you look these up on YouTube you can get a better idea, although I used a lower box than most. I’m running Deep Water currently, but prior to this I was doing the above on Sunday and my “main” squat day Wednesday. I went from doing sets of 225x5x5 to 315x5x5 with the exact same speed (that was the main priority) and I would wrk up to a “heavy” single (~80%) before I did them and that went from 315 to 405. Never struggled with a weight and never had the urge to go up in weight too soon as it was a “warm up” essentially for deadlifting. Sorry for the long post, but this is what helped me be able to squat basically pain free and work through and around recurring and existing injuries.

5 Likes

The one on the left please

2 Likes

I’ve seen other people who struggle with hip impingement say that narrow stance is better for them. I’ve found through trial and error that narrow stance is better.

I finished up SGSS in mid October and I did box squats instead of regular squats but my depth is pretty high (for pain reasons).

I got a steroid injection two weeks ago and it was supposed to reduce the inflammation and eliminate the pain. No luck. The pain during squats with the bar is pretty much the same as what I felt before last year’s surgery. It’s frustrating but I’m going to continue to try to manage it.

It’s hard to ignore the progress @ActivitiesGuy has experienced with an approach similar to Daily Dose. I think less will be more for me for awhile.

Woke at 241.2 lbs.

I don’t like the way I look in the mirror. I have less definition everywhere, even my arms. I’m not exactly going to go crazy with a cut through the holidays but I’m going to be more aware of my food.

I tried gaining weight. I’m uncomfortable. I like to be athletic and be able to play well. I don’t play a lot but I take pride in being able to play at a high level for my age. I played softball last month and a lot of my co-workers can barely run. They’d stumble out of the batter’s box. It looked awkward and took forever for them to run the bases. That won’t be me.

It appears the swole look isn’t going to happen for me, but I can live with being shredded and performing at a high level as I age.

9 Likes

Conditioning & Abs Day

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

INTERVALS?
Run 0.5 miles (goal of 4:00)
Rest 4:00
3 Rounds (3:51, 4:06, 4:51)
Round 3 was only done to get the volume. I had no desire to run it and made no effort to make 4 minutes. Round 2 sucked and I missed the time so I figured I wasn’t making it for round 3 either.

_My biggest problem with conditioning is that it’s a need and not a want. I don’t want to run. I hate it. It’s very easy to slack off or quit. Back in 2009-2010 I ran three days a week to prepare for my first police academy. I sucked. I hated it. My motivation was the academy. Failing wasn’t an option. The best I could do after months of running was to hit a 16 minute two mile. My best academy 1.5 mile run was 10:54. My body does not like running. I’m not sure how to battle that but I’ll try (but probably not very hard :joy:). _

ABS
Lying Leg Raise + Pulse Up 2 x 10

Cable Twist 1 x 10, 1 x 15 ea @ 70 lbs
(one set facing the cable and one set facing away)

BASKETBALL
2 Games (about 24 minutes of total playing time)

4 Likes

Sounds like now your motivation isn’t the academy, but rather the people in it.

My peers are my motivation at this point. I refuse to be a small/weak dude. In a perfect world, every 21 year old guy should be at 15% bf or lower with a 2x bodyweight deadlift. It’s completely possible for any 21 year old guy to do that, given a little dedication for 6-8 months. But the reason that so few people can do that is because people are lazy.

Like Arnold said, a good body cannot be borrowed, stolen, rented, bought, or faked. You need to earn it, and it’s a walking resume for your work ethic.

1 Like

That’s a heck of a statement. Arnold is the man.

@Frank_C wish I somehow could do something to make you like running.
How about doing some cross fit style workouts, and incorporate 100 or 200 m runs in to them.
Like 5-6 rounds of something for time, and trying to beat the previous time.

1 Like

I tried something like that in the past and it turns out that I can’t do much more than a jog during a WOD. I can run up to about a minute. After that, I’m ready to stop.

Woke at 240.2 lbs. I’m knocking on the door of the 230s again.

Today’s workout is pretty much the same as Monday’s but with different exercises. I’ll probably try doing incline bench with 1.5 reps after seeing an article about them yesterday.

1 Like

Shoulder Overhaul and Daily Dose

WARM UP
Recumbent bike 5 minutes 1.23 miles

LYING LEG CURL
90 x 20
90 x 10+5 rest/pause

SQUAT
135 x 5
225 x 1 x 5 sets

DEADLIFT
225 x 3
315 x 2
375 x 1 x 5 sets
superset with
LEAN AWAY LAT DB RAISE
20 x 10 regular lat raises for warm up
20 x 10 x 4 sets ea arm

CABLE UPRIGHT ROW (SA)
20 x 10 x 4 sets each

MACHINE PULL DOWN
90 x 20 x 3 sets
Tried the Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Pull Down and that’s a no go. I’m learning that neutral and pronated grips are tolerable but supinated grip (biceps emphasis) is problematic.

INCLINE BENCH 1.5 REPS
135 x 8
135 x 8
135 x 5
Triceps failed me. That’s odd because that never happens but I haven’t exactly been doing a lot of arm work.

CONDITIONING
1 ugly game of pick up basketball. It took 20 minutes.

My legs felt heavy and they burned while playing. I guess yesterday’s running took its toll on me. Deadlifts were also kind of taxing. I’m not sure if it’s fatigue or trying to superset them with the delt work. I didn’t do any delt work during the last two sets and they were much better.

5 Likes

And you think I’m the odd beast. Well done man

1 Like

big MAN

1 Like