Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Well, my day ended with a pathetic fizzle.

I was late getting off of work. The kids wanted pizza for dinner and I’ll never turn that down. Unfortunately, I didn’t get home with it til about 6:30. I should’ve done my leg workout but I ate dinner with the family instead. I’m not lifting legs now.

I’ll be flirting with disaster and do legs during my lunch break session which will hopefully be mid morning tomorrow. I only have 3 sets of 3 on four exercises so I should be able to get it done in 30 minutes. I just hope I don’t sweat through my clothes.

The other problem with my laziness is that I’ll only have 48 hours before my big leg workout on Monday.

I thought about getting up early to lift but I’m working a part time job after my shift tomorrow so I’ll need the sleep. I actually still have time to lift now. I just don’t want to… My kids are also going to bed and deadlifts might disturb them. But 90% of my slacking off is because I just want to do anything tonight :laughing:

I’m over it.

2 Likes

A lot of that has do with the limited blood supply that connective tissue gets. Makes it harder to it to recover from training and general wear and tear when its not receiving nutrients and oxygen from our blood. We can train in ways to make them stronger and more resilient but bad training habits and other lifestyles factors also play a role and make the issue much worse.

Getting big, muscle or fat does put extra wear and tear on the body. Using PEDs to circumvent the natural limit of what our individual bodies are capable of and can handle isn’t going to help at all

Training to circa maximal weights, using methods to tap into parasympathetic nervous system often, not training in ways that allow connective tissue to heal, and not deloading often enough most if not all of us could do better.

1 Like

Write more about these methods please.

1 Like

I second @Voxel’s request. I’ve never seen anything that directly addresses training different nervous systems in the body. And in regards to training in a way that helps connective tissue, the only thing I really know is to go slow so those tissues have time to grow stronger. Slow and steady progression is better than drastic changes.

Basketball was a wake up call. I haven’t played all year. I quit playing regularly in June of last year. I’ve played three times this year. My brain doesn’t even agree with itself. I want to be big, muscular, and strong but I also want to be athletic. I’m not sure those things go together for me. I’m not an elite athlete. Maybe my perception is skewed because of what I see in professional sports. There are a lot of guys I see that are bigger, stronger, leaner, faster, and more agile than I ever was. I guess I have to accept that that’s just not in the cards for me.

After this bulk (which has basically been going on the entire year) I’ll be cutting. I’m timing it up for the T-ransformation challenge. But I think this is my last run at getting bigger. Hopefully I succeed and I’m around 235 lbs with the same level of leanness I had at 225 lbs.

I’ve pretty much only focused on my strength and size this year. I haven’t done nearly enough conditioning and I quit playing sports. Part of it has been to protect my hip but the other part is because I don’t have time for the other things while I pursue my first goals. I think I’ll have to change gears again in 2019. I’ll go back to staying lean and try to be more active.

This all means that I won’t ever play with PED’s. Getting bigger and stronger than I can manage naturally would be counterproductive to my other goals — being athletic and active into old age. I just need to remember this the next time I get the urge to bulk.

You hear that, @dt79? I’m working this shit out after all :smile:

2 Likes

What I am mean by tapping into the parasympathetic nervous system is using something to trigger our flight or fight response in order to lift more weight, more weight for more reps, run faster, jump higher etc… This dampens all the suppressors our bodies use to protect ourselves from how strong we really are. It does this so we don’t tear our muscles or our connective tissue doing silly everyday tasks and we have reserves for life threatening emergencies.

This is were the lift angry stuff comes from, if you’re angry enough, or scared enough or amped enough its starts to turn on and we can use more of our actual strength. George Leeman was really into psychologically abusing himself over his brother’s death in order to get more weight or more reps. He talks about it in this video.

That and abusing things like smelling salts to constantly desensitize our built in inhibitors is a quick way to get hurt. Combine that with PED abuse to where your already stronger than you should be and its recipe for disaster

In regards to training in a way conducive to healing connective tissues is to back end a workout with pure pump high rep work. Lets use cartilage as an example, because cartilage don’t have their own built in blood supply and get it from other nearby areas it reasons to think that flooding the area with blood is probably the best way to kickstart the healing process.

A lot of people tend to feel really beat up heading into a peaking block or an extended strength block because of the heavy weights yes, but also because volume is down, and they are getting less blood pumped around to heal the muscles and connective tissue. I tend to favor 30-100 rep sets for this purpose because it forces it to be so light that its nothing but pumping blood and not causing much if any additional tissue damage. When I hurt my knee at work and it didn’t go away right away I decided to deload and do a bunch of Leg Curls to pump blood specifically into that afflicted area. Fastest turn around on any injury so far, could be coincidence but I really think doing sets of 100 on the Leg Curl helped speed it up.

Best course is yes to build slow, and don’t rush it that is the most important; but back ending with some targeted super high rep work will help with specific areas.

4 Likes

Great post!

Somewhat related, perhaps my favorite sports science quote. Yuri discussing what he calls “the innate reserves” (protected human motor potential):

“Nature has provided man with the possibility to enhance his abilities in extreme situations, and we need to utilize it in the training of the high class athlete.” – Prof. Yuri Verkhoshansky

That quote, in the context of the “capacity of the human organism”, re-shaped my mindset on athletic improvement. I went from “trying to build” to “trying to utilize protected motor potential” (reduce inhibition). When I look at it now, “building” seems much more daunting. Are we trying to add strength, speed, power, fitness etc? Or are we trying to slowly reduce protective mechanisms to express the potential we already have? The latter seems really pure to me. Obviously it can be a bit of both - one can simultaneously hypertrophy & reduce inhibition for example. But that shift in mindset from “building” to “reducing” has really helped me in my various athletic goals, whether it be dunking, running etc. I talked with @flipcollar about this several times on here. Some folks just have alot more inhibition than others. I personally think people often confuse it with “natural ability”. I mean it is very much a natural ability, but not in the sense that one individual “has more” than another individual, but perhaps that they “have less” inhibition than another individual.

Regarding anger: I jumped higher & run faster when i’m angry. Running angry (but not tight), for me, is great for distances <= 1 mile. I can harness those emotions to improve my performance. For dunking, and the training that went along with it (heavy lifting), utilizing anger & aggression were a primary source of fuel for me. I’d also try and create “bridges” between my heavy lifts and my hardest jumps, ie utilizing similar mental mantras/audible expressions in both my heaviest lifts and my most important jumps in a session. Worked really well.

As for PED’s, I agree that is very much the danger with them. They can improve ones ability to tap in to protected motor potential for a session (or several), which is just too fast for the various tissue(s) in our body. I’d personally want to be able to consciously tap in to more motor potential, ie an innate mental smelling salt, than use an external substance. I think the ability to dial in mentally, focus intensely, and utilize more potential is an incredibly beautiful thing.

Also +100 for high rep work for connective tissue healing. Feels so good.

Finally, man i’ve really gotten away from the science. I used to really be into it. I’ve gone from deep into the science, to deep into my mind. For me personally, the more I absorb science, the more inhibition it creates. My best gains in dunking and running have been when I make a long focused effort on freeing my mind from the minutia.

If i’m “scared” about how hard i’m about to go in training or a competition, then I know it will be effective. :f For me, feeling that fear is where it starts.

peace!!

4 Likes

Thanks, @BEAst_in_I! Everything you said makes perfect sense. I never hype myself up so that type of training didn’t even occur to me.

I don’t want to hit a fluke PR. I want my lifts to be in an even keel environment. I do all the reps the same.

@adarqui, I think reducing inhibition is what people have to train when they’re maintaining weight. I want to grow. I get hurt pretty regularly. I’m pretty sure if I had to rely solely on reducing inhibition to improve then I’ll get hurt again.

2 Likes

Woke at 245 and change.

SGSS W9 D1

RFESS
45 x 5
95 x 3
115 x 3
135 x 3
150 x 3 x 3 sets

BOX SQUATS
225 x 3
275 x 1 or 2?
315 x 2
359 x 3 x 3 sets
This was a goat rope. I didn’t have a legit box so I put a floor mat on top of a bench and it took some trial and error. I also figured out that two of the plates I was using were 50 lbs and two were 47 lbs which is why my working weight is odd.

DEADLIFT
225 x 3
315 x 3
433 x 2 x 3 sets
Same issue with the plates that were heavier than 45 lbs. My back felt like I was flirting with disaster after some awkward box squats while I figured out how to set up. I didn’t want to push it so I settled for doubles. It was only after deads that I noticed the markings on the plates showing they were heavier than 45 lbs.

This workout went about as well as I thought a leg workout during work would go. My energy levels were fine but everything felt heavy. I guess the good news is that the bar was actually heavier than I thought. I skipped power cleans because I was short on time and there weren’t any good bars.

Yup. Sorry wasn’t giving you advice to train like that. Was just chiming in, in general ;f

peace!

I know. I was just pointing out the different circumstances for each. Guys/gals who want to bump up their strength while competing at a specific weight have to figure out the inhibition thing. I’ve played with that a little bit and I’ve seen CT write some stuff about it. It seems the way to do that is with heavy partials and iso holds. Those seem to be done with more than 100% of your 1RM. That’s kind of going the other direction when we’re talking about taking it slow and not stressing the connective tissues too much.

1 Like

Regarding lifting + inhibition specifically: Heavy partials & isos are a few of the tools for sure. I personally liked tweaking “frequency”, for the last reason you mentioned, it’s pretty effective. Do you give yourself huge bouts of “fight or flight” less often, or do you give yourself smaller bouts much more often - “surviving several times per day (ie at least 2x)”. I personally found the latter to be considerably safer - could utilize a much larger range of protocols because the frequency was the other half of the equation.

I personally don’t like isos, way too fatiguing for me - and I never saw the benefits that some people do. Overcoming ISOS specifically are a great way to make me want to sleep alot - they burn me out FAST.

I loved partials though, especially variations off pins etc. Partials are 100+% of full ROM 1RM but should still be submaximal for that partial ROM (IMHO). 1RM partials themselves are much more taxing on connective tissues for sure.

peace!

1 Like

It’s funny this has been brought up because I’ve been reading up on the stress response AKA the fight or flight response.

The initial response dumps adrenaline. If the response continues then the body dumps cortisol to break down stored fat/carbs for energy. Prolonged and frequent dumps or adrenaline can lead to damaged blood vessels and arteries leaving you at a higher risk for cardiac problems or stroke.

Prolonged periods of elevated cortisol can lead to unwanted fat gain. The body thinks you need more energy for the next fight or flight bout and you get hungry. It also can have the body store excess calories instead of using them or getting rid of them as waste.

Given my job and the stress/adrenaline it brings, I try to limit my fight or flight moments. Everything about my job is deadly. Shift work (poor sleep), high stress, low activity, and bad diet. Obviously I take steps to overcome this by planning ahead and bringing good food to work, but a lot of my co-workers don’t. It’s no surprise there are a lot of fat cops. Hopefully I can start to convince some of them to make some changes or at the very least teach the rookies how to take care of themselves.

5 Likes

Woke at 244.4 lbs (again).

I’m about to head to the work gym for my lunch break. It’s been quiet but there’s always a chance that it will change as I drive down there. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Made it!

SGSS W9 D2

OHP
45 x 10
95 x 5
115 x 3
155 x 3 x 3 sets

superset with

PULL UPS
3 x 5

LAT PULL DOWN
240 x 3 x 3 sets

DB INCLINE
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5 x 3 sets

superset with
PENDLAY ROW
135 x 5
185 x 3
215 x 3 x 3 sets

SHOULDER COMPLEX (2 ROUNDS)
Upright Row 85 x 10
Cable Lateral Raise 20 x 10
Cable B. O. Rev Fly 20 x 10

I switched the lateral raise and reverse fly on the second round hoping it would be easier but it wasn’t. I was on the verge of doing rest/pause reps on the first set of reverse fly’s and had to take about a minute break between fly’s and lateral raise on the second round.

B. O. Rev Cable Fly is harder than B. O. Rev DB Fly

Time: 31 minutes

3 Likes

You are not wrong about the 100 reps. That is the start rippietoe protocol. 100 reps a day increasing the weight slowly as you go…

1 Like

GREAT delineation, and likely much more realistic.

I finally have made it over here. I have been so busy since I got home from Las Vegas to see the Olympia. I don’t think you need ANY advice. You are far, FAR stronger and athletic than damn near the whole population and look great too. You said you’re not a nutritionist or bodybuilder, but would you need either of such people to give you advice unless you wanted to compete in bodybuilding or look like a bodybuilder? (That is, if the public can even tell the difference from an athletic and muscular man versus a bodybuilding purist.) I think not. You know what you are doing.

I say this as a compliment and in sympathizing with your feelings: I think you’re just obsessed, which in this case, is a good characteristic. I am still obsessed even though I am getting back in shape after a long hiatus, and I was still obsessed during that hiatus, if anyone knows what I mean.

6 Likes

I really appreciate you stopping by my log and thank you for the compliments! I think obsessed is accurate. I crave information and I’m always looking for ways to improve my training and therefore, my results. I’m not sure I’ll ever be satisfied. That’s a double edged sword. I won’t get complacent but will I be happy? Hopefully I can live in a good balance between the two.

As of now, I’ve decided 2018 is the year of the bulk and the first half of 2019 will be my cut. I’m hoping to have more muscle when I’m done (duh), but this process has reminded me of what I truly value.

I’m comfortable and athletic at 225 lbs. I feel cumbersome at my current weight (245) and sports are a little tougher. I’m also more uncomfortable in my uniform at work.

Hopefully I can find myself at 230 or 235 lbs next year with a decent level of body fat. That would be the ultimate success. I’d be lighter than I am now which means I’ll be more comfortable. I’ll also be leaner which is always a good thing.

I still see photos of people smaller than me and I think they look jacked. They’re lean and their muscles pop. It’s funny how I can skew my own perception. I want to get bigger to look better but I can be jealous of people who are smaller. :laughing:

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to interact with me here with your busy schedule.

3 Likes

I suppose I agree with that. If we taught young kids how to bench, squat, and deadlift, those movements would be just as “natural” as walking and jumping.

2 Likes