Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Woke at 244.4 lbs.

Well, basketball hurts. My knees feel like rusty metal. My SI joint and the surrounding area hurts. My quads burn when I go up the stairs. I didn’t even play very much yesterday. I’m not sure if I should play more so I get used to it or play less so I’m not crippled by the time I reach 40.

Luckily leg day is Friday so I have time to recover.

On the plus side, I didn’t look terrible this morning. I still have some abs so depending on which helpful poster you look at I’m somewhere between 12 and 18% body fat.

3 Likes

Dude, fuck that. Those are always the same guys who cherry pick and want to play 6 games to 21 in one night… like no. You aren’t doing anything. I’m tired. I can’t go up for 200 rebounds in one night

1 Like

SGSS W8 FINAL DAY

OHP
45 x 10
115 x 5 x 2 sets
150 x 3 x 5 sets

superset with

PULL UPS
BW x 5 x 2 sets

LAT PULL DOWN
240 x 3 x 5 sets

PENDLAY ROW
150 x 5
210 x 3 x 5 sets

superset with

DB INCLINE
60 x 5
70 x 5 x 4 sets
70 x 16

SHOULDER COMPLEX (3 ROUNDS)
UPRIGHT ROW
80 x 10
LAT DB RAISE
15 x 10
REV DB FLY
15 x 10

I decided I want to emphasis my delts so this replaced cable rows. It also still hits my back a bit. I remembered (or imagined) that I seem to have good luck with this complex adding size to my delts. Hopefully it works.

CONDITIONING
Basketball - 2 games back to back and much better quality than yesterday

And I just mowed the yard which takes about 45 minutes.

7 Likes

Woke at 243.0 lbs. I’m kind of going the wrong direction this week. I think it’s a combination of adding basketball back into the mix and not eating enough. I’ve had a sinus infection for a week now and my appetite isn’t great.

No training today. I hurt all over today. It’s the little muscles. My feet, forearms, lower leg muscles… I hate being out of “basketball shape”.

4 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I’ve never been in basketball shape in my life. Being a short, scrawny, unathletic kid, I never even learned to play… I can finally watch basketball on TV and know what’s going on, after years of avoiding it. My stepson is really into it so I made myself learn so I could carry on a good conversation with him when he wanted to talk about it.

3 Likes

It’s painful to play as an adult and I’m questioning why I like to beat myself up like that. You’re not missing much now. I’m tall and strong but not very skilled thanks to my coaches. I didn’t get to practice dribbling or shooting much - just post moves.

I don’t post up much now (because no one will pass the ball) but I cut and rebound. It’s the max effort jumping that beats me up…actually, it’s probably the landing.

My spine even hurts a bit today.

1 Like

Horrific. Really sorry to hear it. I sincerely thank you and your brothers/ sisters-in-blue for what you each do every day.

3 Likes

I hear you there. I was never great, but did play in HS and was decent. Have played a few times lately, and can’t believe how bad I am lol. As part of my getting back in shape, I’d like to be able to play well and dunk again.

1 Like

I think my desire to stay active and mobile until I die will keep me going back. This soreness just exposed the amount of muscles that are neglected by my gym workouts. I think the lateral movement is really good for me.

I might need to adjust my style of play though. I always hang around the perimeter and then crash the boards looking for a put-back. I end up doing a lot of loading on the approach and sometimes I don’t even jump because the shot goes in. Those instances really hurt.

2 Likes

It’s funny how lifting almost lulls you into some false sense of security with regards to ‘fitness’…

Until you play an actual sport.

Same happens when you play football(soccer). Those sudden sprints and turns fuck you up beyond belief.

Keep at it mate

2 Likes

Your comment has me thinking…

Perhaps a better approach to my training would be to focus on a few lifts and hit those two to three days a week while playing a sport two to three days a week.

I don’t think I’d lose much size and I could always do some pump work to keep stimulating my “show” muscles. I’d probably be better off than my current approach of killing the weights while doing some half assed conditioning that consists of running in a straight line or cruising on the elliptical.

2 Likes

If you’re going for the “athletic” look then absolutely that’s the best way of training

I’m not sure who’s article it was, but the title was “look like an athlete, train like an athlete”

1 Like

Sounds like Paul Carter or CT.

I feel the same way. Focusing solely on the weights is (IMO) what causes injuries for a lot of amateur lifters like us. I don’t know about you, but I never got hurt badly playing sports. Tendinitis from shot put in a finger that I broke playing football a few years earlier, and shin splints. That’s about it. And of course the occasional hamstring cramp/strain that lasts a few days. But nothing like what I have from lifting weights. A fucked up SI joint, nerve pain, and both hip flexors, all within the last 8 months. It’s rough… I think training like an athlete is the best way to do it. Our bodies were made to run and jump, not to pick 500+ pounds up off the ground or put 400lbs on our backs.

3 Likes

Speak for yourself. I’m a monster.
:joy: :joy: :joy:
(you’re right though)

2 Likes

The human body is made to be adaptive, it’s not necessarily made to run or jump as opposed lifting heavy things or vice versa.

1 Like

CT. I’ve done the program, back-to-back deadlifts on Friday and Saturday are a bit rough but otherwise it’s a mighty fine program. But, it’s seven days a week which would be fine if total work volume was low but you get quite a lot of work done each session if you do it right . So, it might not pair optimally with actually doing sports.

@Frank_C maybe try some of collagen before bed on your bball days and see if that makes your joints any happier.

For what it’s worth, I think you are on the right track with reducing how much weightlifting (volume) you do weekly. Get the total volume of work down while your body adapts to bball.

1 Like

Playing a bit of basketball will do you good. After a few sessions the soreness and the beat up feeling will disappear.
Keep lifting, reduce volume a bit. I think playing sports is very good way to stay active.

And for our job it’s good to be athletic and able to move around.

I’m playing badminton once a week, and the sudden explosions and moving the body around is so great. The first time after the summer break usually ends with a sore body. But damn it’s good.

I’ve even considered doing OCR (obstacle course racing). But that would have me to focus a lot on running, and I’m not there yet.

1 Like

That was CT and I looked at that program earlier this week. It’s too much for me. It looks complex and I’m just not mentally ready for that. It’s also a struggle for me to train every day of the week. I’ve been doing six days a week for about three weeks and I’m already burned out (mentally).

:joy:

Basketball: Patellar subluxation in my last college game in 2008 (season ending injury) and a fractured talus from rolling my ankle in 2013.

Baseball: The injury wasn’t directly related to baseball but multiple shoulder subluxations (football, basketball, life) led to shoulder surgery in 2004.

Deadlift: Sprained SI joint with bulged disc in 2014. No surgery but my right shin went numb and I was unable to contract my medial quad for a bit. My leg atrophied horribly and I almost walked with a limp before the disc swelling subsided and things got back to normal. This is the one injury that continues to resurface.

Front Squats: According to my surgeon my hip problem wasn’t caused by anything specific. It was something that probably would’ve happened over time but front squats sped up the process.

I think weight lifting has been more damaging and those injuries are nagging. However, my ankle still hurts and I suspect I’m going to have some problems down the road.

It seems that our joints struggle to adapt. We can add muscle mass but the joints and supporting tissues (ligaments and tendons) don’t hold up too well. I don’t think our bodies are meant to be big and muscular. We can pull it off but show me a big ol meat head who doesn’t have joint problems.

The added weight also beats up our joints when we move.

I might try this…or some sort of joint health supplement. I need to keep playing so I get used to it again. When I walked away from basketball last year I was in great shape. I could play for hours and walk away worn out but not beat up.

1 Like

Woke at 244 and change…

Today is the funeral of our fallen Sheriff Deputy, Robert Kunze. I’m on duty but I’m not going. I don’t want to cry all morning and I figured I’d stay in service so I could help cover calls while those who knew him went and paid their respects. It’s going to be a huge funeral. I’m sure there will be hundreds of officers and police cars. Deputy Kunze worked for a different agency prior to working here and they are sending a lot of personnel.

Here’s an article on Police One about his final call. It doesn’t say in the article because the Sheriff didn’t release it yet, but Deputy Kunze suffered a contact wound above his vest with a .40 caliber pistol. The gun malfunctioned due to being pressed against his body when it fired. It severed an artery but Deputy Kunze was able to get up and chase after him and kill him before he collapsed and died. Colin Kaepernick doesn’t have shit on this man.

4 Likes

From experience, I would say it isn’t complex after you’ve run it for a week but it is a bit rough. I wouldn’t say it’s sustainable indefinitely. It’s more for people that don’t have anything else athletic going on in their lives to fill that void.

I remember Chad Waterbury writing about how he had back pain just sitting in the cinema when he was at his heaviest. Couldn’t find the article but here’s something along those same lines: 30 Things Waterbury Said

Try it! Hope it works out.

There’s definitely a lot of value added in training if you get to feel athletic, at least to me. I think CT really got it right when he analyzed why CrossFit is so successful: CrossFit Is Not A Fad

When it comes to CrossFit-style training, you do tons of athletic movements that make you feel like an athlete. You simply don’t get the same feeling with bodybuilding or everyday “average” training.

1 Like