T Nation

Redefining Dad Bod (JMaier31)

bodybuilding
strength
performance

I thought about something like that but with plates. I could put a bumper plate on the top of the 18" box.

Worst case scenario I could use the safety bars as a depth stop and turn my squat into a pin squat :laughing:

A bumper plate is a way better idea haha. No need to be concerned with ‘stepping up’ onto the pieces of wood.

I guess I failed to mention that there’s an 18" box I can use so that’s partially my fault. I almost tried to put the box on the regular floor. The power rack has a wooden platform so it’s a couple inches taller. Unfortunately I think the supports of the rack would be in the way of my bar path because the box would actually be outside of the rack.

Woke at 238.8 lbs. I’m not sure if I’m cutting or bulking. I guess I’m doing neither because my weight has been stable for awhile.

B4Battle W2 D2
2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

CIRCUIT
6/5/4/3/2/1 (first round was my warm up)

MUSCLE SNATCH
95/120/125/135/140/145

BOX SQUAT 22" (Stacked the 25 lb bumpers on top of the 18" box. They’re 2" each.)
275/300/320/340/360/375

HANG SGHP
145/165/175/185/195/205

HAMMER INCLINE
180/200/220/230/245/250
I mixed up my row and Incline weights and caught it on the last set.

UNDERHAND BENT OVER ROW
185/200/215/225/240/255

Time: 34+ minutes

CONDITIONING
AIRDYNE BIKE
Tabata 4 min, burned 90 calories
Calories seems like a good way to track progress.

Chiro and dry needling at 3:30 and then it’s time for session two for my tattoo.

While at the chiro they checked my hip flexion strength and my left leg is garbage! I couldn’t move his hand! F*#@!

I got a couple needles jabbed into my hip flexor and was told my psoas isn’t firing.

I also figured out that I feel pain during a squat but only when it’s loaded. If I lie on my back then there’s no pain with the movement.

The pain I feel nonstop is aching/tight muscles. The pain I feel when squatting is deeper and feels more like joint pain. The muscle pain can be treated by the chiro but he said to go back to my surgeon if the other pain persists. FML.

That’s it. No more log name changes. This is the one.

Hey Big J
Can’t remember do you attend yoga class?
If not some yoga could do the trick about the tense muscles. Lyengar yoga is about doing the positions the right way, not power or fast or anything.

As for the changing of log title… well this one will hold until the next change :slight_smile:

Oooooh new log name, will be following along. I was thinking about a change too but will do it after I have finished my current volume block.

You can join my cripple club, left leg only.

Damn! Hopefully it can be taken care of with a little bit of chiro/rehab and not require additional surgery!

I appreciate you at least keeping your Username in it so that we can find it!

I haven’t attended a yoga class yet. Injury or not it would definitely benefit me.

I think I’m just going to keep this one. No need to change the name every time I change programs. That could be 10-15 times a year :smile:

I thought I was an alumni of the club! I was on the disabled list for 12 weeks to start the year.

That’s the goal. If squats hurt then they’re out. If deadlifts continue to hurt then I’m going to have a problem. If I had to pick one lift to keep then it’d be deadlift.

I’ve contemplated this log title for a while. I have my specific training goals but the overall goal is to look better and be stronger than most men my age - especially dads since I have kids and the responsibilities that come with them.

Woke at 236.6 lbs.

Tattoo Update
I had him extend it further down my arm. I only had a three hour session last night so he only worked on the arm portion of things. I’m hoping he’ll finish on the next session.

B4Battle W2 D3

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

CIRCUIT
Reps: 5/5/5/3/3

MUSCLE SNATCH
95/105/115/120/125

BOX SQUAT 21"
245/265/285/300/320

HANG SGHP
135/145/155/165/175

CLOSE GRIP INCLINE
This hurt and an employee took my weights off thinking no one was using it so I gave up and switched to push ups.

PUSH UPS
BW for 4 x 10

UNDERHAND BENT OVER ROW
170/180/195/205/220

Time: 29:51

ASSISTANCE CIRCUIT
Reps: 10/8

DB INCLINE
75/80

DB ROW
75/80

RFESS
50/50

RDL
135/185

Time: 14:37

I was supposed to do a round of 6 on the assistance but I just ran out of gas. Tomorrow is supposed to be my heavy day too. I’m beginning to think my plan is flawed. Today was supposed to be a light day - even lighter than the original program. Tomorrow is supposed to be an off day and the heavy day Friday. I decided to cram it all into M-F since I’m struggling to get the work done on weekends. I’m beat. I could probably use that rest day.

@flappinit, I think doing 5s was too much. The idea is to decrease the intensity but I think I canceled that out by increasing the volume. I think doing 3s would be better. Also, just running through it with one weight instead of increasing the weight each round might be better.

Definitely give yourself that rest day (or conditioning), you do not wanna attempt 110% lifts (and 105%!) the day after this. And yeah I totally see how 5s burned you out, 3s for speed work would be a good idea I think. That would keep it even a bit lighter while not having to up the volume to compensate.

Also I was gonna suggest decline bench. I know a lot of people hate on it but it really is pretty good for hypertrophy, has a reduced ROM, and doesn’t put your back in as compromising of a position. Also TC wrote an article about how it recruits more upper chest than incline bench, but it’s TC and if he has a thought he’ll find a sixth graders essay to support it, then claim its he indisputable truth, so I don’t know about that, but have you tried it recently? It’s one of those things I do once in a blue moon but am considering again.

I might just do Tuesday’s workout again tomorrow hitting the 3RM for a single.

I never do decline so I definitely haven’t tried it recently.

I never quit a workout. I was tired going into today’s session. I just hit a wall. I was approaching 4 minutes of rest after round two of the assistance circuit and I still didn’t want to get moving. That coupled with the realization that I’m training again tomorrow helped me just throw in the towel.

Sadly I was at the one hour and 40 minute mark of being at the gym when I stopped. I’m not sure where the time went today.

The thing I’m starting to learn about this workout is how little rest you get. 45 seconds of rest while unloading and loading hundreds of pounds isn’t exactly rest. Especially the unload at the end of the circuit? It’s like an extra 800-1000 pounds of weight you’re moving just to get it back on the rack.

It’s sure firing up my metabolism. I’m a bottomless pit on training days.

Try decline tomorrow! Really might make a world of difference.

I’m actually gonna do it tomorrow.

K so journal name changes, busy at work, tattoo and really bad hip pain? Lots to catch up on!!! Hope that hip pain gets better! I agree with other posters in terms of rest, but I know that’s hard for you, so I guess try and rest it when you can!!