Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I think the hydro has Tylenol. Does that help lol? It’s leftover from my surgery.

I think I’ll avoid it tonight. I’m on my third beer and I feel kind of drunk (thanks, empty stomach!). The hydro stash is safe unless I want to feel like I’m in college again! :laughing:

1 Like

Acetaminophen is Tylenol. Tylenol isn’t an NSAID. An NSAID is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug - meaning it’ll help with inflammation which is likely to be your biggest problem. Tylenol can help with headaches, general pain and reducing a fever, but it won’t help swelling. It’s still a pain reliever, as is the hydro, which will give a perceived feeling of relief, but ibuprofen (Advil) is an NSAID and will actually help heal you instead of just numbing pain.

Thanks for the distinction. I was too lazy to look up the different ingredients in those. Ibuprofen is my go-to for most aches and pains but I use Aleve for nagging pain. It’s the only thing that took the edge off when I had nerve pain from my back injury.

I think it’s time to hit up my two chiropractors. One does ART (tissue work) and the other does needling. My QL and other muscles around my hip are tight. I was hoping that’d stop after surgery.

I’m beginning to think a big deadlift with no squat might be an okay thing. You can’t rag on a guy about his squat if he pulls 600 lbs, right?

3 Likes

600 club is beast. ‘Nuff said.

The deads may not be helping your hip though.

They don’t hurt! I pulled 5 plates for the first time ever last June and that was right in the middle of my hip pain/problems. At the time it was a 40 lb PR.

I’m pretty long so there’s way less hip flexion in the deadlift compared to my squat. It seems that deep hip flexion is my kryptonite right now.

1 Like

Hey Big J, sorry to hear about the hip problem.
You have done wonders for the past 6 month, maybe just maybe, it’s time to let that hip recover a bit. Don’t chase the PR’s on the lower body or come even close for a while.

1 Like

Woke at 237.6 lbs.

I don’t know what I’m going to do, @mortdk . Today is 3RM day for Built for Battle. I’m just hoping my hip doesn’t hurt during my warm up sets.

I’ve figured my estimated 3RM to give me an idea of what I can do. I’ll subtract about 10 lbs from each since I’ll be doing a circuit.

I’m hoping to get:

• Squat 325
  • OHP 145
  • Deadlift 455
  • Bench 275
  • Row ???

Those numbers are about 87-90% of my 1RM. According to the loading chart I’m supposed to be able to get 3 reps with 93% of my 1RM.

Slow down man. Quit rushing. Take a deload of some sort do some maxing work. And then start the program. You will be glad you did and be working with much more concrete numbers.

This CrossFit stuff was a deload. I did squats twice in three weeks. The front squats that I tried were light (135 lbs).

I lifted today and I felt good on everything but squats are definitely tough. The weights feel heavier than they did a few weeks ago.

My hip feels better immediately after I do some band work (reverse clam shells and lateral leg raises). I’m about to do round two of those.

2 Likes

Just take care please :slight_smile:
You probably should decrease the squat by a lot of pounds. Maybe do box squats with the box a bit high, everything to ease up on the hips.
But knowing you, the next workout you put up a massive PR on squats :slight_smile:
Anyways hope things go your way and you’ll be back with a pain free hip soon.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mort!

I’m not ready to take it easy but I’m not going to push too hard. I’m wondering if CT’s Guaranteed Simple Strength & Size would be good for me with three weeks of sets of 8 with lighter loads. But I’m also not sure if it’s the loads that are hurting. It’s just the movement.

Built for Battle W1 D1

3RMs all around!

Okay, this program is tough to do at a commercial gym. I thought I’d have a chance if I could get the power rack. It’s next to the Deadlift platform, cable row, and within shouting distance of the bench. But not today! Someone was doing shrugs on the power rack, because you can’t possibly do those anywhere else.

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP + 2 ROUNDS OF AB STUFF

CIRCUIT #1
HANG POWER CLEAN / SQUAT / OHP

CLEANS
115 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 3, 205 x 3, 225, x 3, 235 x 3, 245 x 1

SQUAT
135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 3, 295 x 3, 315 x 3, XXX

OHP
115 x 3, 115 x 3, 125 x 3, 135 x 3, 145 x 3, 155 x 3, 165 x 3

Circuit #2
BENCH / DEADLIFT / UNDERHAND BENT OVER ROW

BENCH
135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 240 x 3, 255 x 3, 265 x 3

DEADLIFT
225 x 5, 315 x 3, 365 x 3, 395 x 3, 425 x 3, 455 x 3
Rep #1 of 455 felt tough. I pushed myself to a new place in my head to grind out two more. Touch n go save me. There was no way I was even getting a double if I reset.

ROW
135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 240 x 3, 255 x 3, 265 x 3

CONDITIONING
Run the straightaway (80ish meters), walk the curve (45ish meters) x 10 (5 laps) in 8:41+ walking for 1 lap to cool down.
I’m slow. The running portion took about 17-20 sec and the walking was about 40 sec.

Hell of a workout today!

I forgot to mention how long this all took. My warm up was right at 11 minutes. The two circuits took exactly 1 hour and that includes all sets. The running and one lap walk took 12:09. I guess that’s 1:23:00 and change for everything. I think I was at the gym for 1:40:00.

Days off work are for big workouts.

5 Likes

Maybe drop that 455 to a 445 or 435 on the deadlift. For one, you have to do this 5 days a week, and for 2, you have to hit 110% of that on day 4. Also, why are you doing 6 exercises and not 5? That’s beasttttt

1 Like

I felt like two circuits of three exercises was nice and even. Adding hang cleans gave me an extra minute of rest between sets.

Everything went smoothly with the exception of taking the bar out of the bench rack for rows.

That’s only 505 on Deadlift. Yeah, that sounds heavy :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

That makes sense about the 6 exercises. Play it by ear - your second circuit always takes a blow in terms of strength and endurance so you may want to cut out one of those second exercises at some point. Still - can’t really argue with you in terms of strength building at this point you deadlifting fucker.

1 Like

That’s a factor too! I love the Deadlift!

We need to ask @losthog if he sold his soul to trade his hips for yours, with his 455 deficit deadlift at 43 years old he’s making me think he stole your 31 year old hips and gave you his 43 year old ones.

5 Likes

Don’t jinx me man.

2 Likes

Nice workout Big J
I think I will do it the same way, when it becomes my turn.
How’s the hip holding up :slight_smile:
I would ease up both DL and Squat, it’s meant to be done for long term, and I think CT would like the reps to be strong and not grinding.

1 Like

One of my all time favourite strongman clips. The late great Jon Pal Sigmarsson - quality.

1 Like