Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Even here in Denmark the heat has been turned up for a long time now, and it keeps going.
Peeps just goes mental, lots more violence and domestic problems.
But hey the extra buck is worth the extra work :slight_smile: are you there as officer or ?

Yeah. I throw on the uniform and sweat my ass off while watching the game. I’ve worked about 10 games between last year and this year and I haven’t had any incidents (knock on wood). The only bad part is all time spent standing on concrete. It kind of wears me out physically even though I’m not really doing anything.

1 Like

yeah standing on concrete is just plain hard on the body.

The game started an hour late thanks to this but the temperature dropped almost 30 degrees so I can’t be mad.

4 Likes

Nothing like a good old 100 burpees for time workout to simulate death by suffocation. My captain was fond of these. I was not.

2 Likes

In my second police academy our Lt thought it was cool to make us do birthday burpees. Anytime someone had a birthday we got to do one for each year in our boots, duty belt, and vest.

They finally offered to let us do triple the years on squats and I took them up on it. Another guy and I have the same birthday and our total was 66 years. We were the first birthday people to take the squat option. It was much better.

Later that day we got sprayed with pepper spray. Worst birthday of my life.

7 Likes

7.1.18 CFE Day 14

Back to back nights of 6 or less hours of sleep. I worked an extra 11.25 hrs this weekend. I’m an idiot but I made $450 in the process.

As I suspected I have no desire to do anything tonight other than drink Corona. Another day off it is!

I feel torn about drinking Corona. It’s imported from Mexico. We’re supposed to build a wall between us and Mexico. Am I a traitor?

Damn, it tastes good…

3 Likes

Regular pepper spray, or OC spray? God, we got the MK-9 canisters of OC to the face and had to show the whites of our eyes before doing a makeshift obstacle course. I went first out of everyone and attempted to yell “get some motherfucker” but in the video all you can hear is “gshrjkchhher” as snot comes out. One of my corporals ran away and tried to get to the AC in his car but was tackled by the instructors. OC was so bad that tear gas was laughable thereafter. 1-1.5 hours of pain, and we did it mid-July in Virginia, so the OC sweat burn was real.

OC spray. I figured everyone would understand pepper spray better.

When I was a Trooper we carried Sabre Red. That stuff is awful. Some folks lovingly refer to it as demon semen.

The stuff we carry on my current department is a bit weaker but it still sucks.

It’s taken three days for my eyes to recover both times I’ve been sprayed.

3 Likes

7.2.18 CFE Day 15

Woke at 238.0 lbs. I glad to see this because I haven’t eaten much the past three days. If I’m hungry then the scale had better show it!

I don’t like the WODs posted on Invictus or CrossFit Compelled (local gym) today. I think I’ll do Friday’s WOD which includes working up in weight on hang clean.

2 Likes

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP + LATERAL BAND WORK FOR THE HIP

HANG POWER CLEAN
E2MOM for 8 sets (16 min)
135 x 3
185 x 2
225 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
260 x 1
275 x 1
275 x 0

CONDITIONING WOD
For Time:
Row 1500 meters
Hang Power Clean 225 x 15 (used 205)
30 Alternating Pistol Squats (did knee tap squats)

The row took about 6:45. It took about 3:00 to transition to cleans. Cleans took about 3:30 and I split them into 5, 3, 3, 2, 2. The knee tap squats took the test of the time. Finished in 16:04

4 Likes

7.3.18 CFE Day 16

2 LAP DYNAMIC WARM UP

AB CIRCUIT
2 Rounds of:

• 10 V-Ups
  • 15 45 Deg Back Ext
  • 15 ea Side Crunch on Back Ext Thing

CROSSFIT COMPELLED WOD
RX: 7 Rounds for Time

• 7 Push Press 155 lbs
  • 7 Pull Ups
  • 7 Front Squats 155 lbs

Actual Workout
7 Rounds for Time

• 7 Push Press 135 (rounds 5-7 BTN Push Press)
  • 7 Pull Ups (started a little hitch to help at round 3)
  • 7 Front Squats 135 (switched to narrow stance back squats for rounds 4-7)

Time: 18:04

I learned that front squats hurt my hip. It’s the exact same pain and location I had before surgery. Not cool.

2 Likes

Ditch the front squats or work with less weight and reps if possible.

Those knee tap squats looks cool.

Front squats are definitely no longer a part of my training.

1 Like

Trap bar deads provide a squat-like motion with more emphasis on the quads. You could always try them instead. Front Squats kill my SI joint. WILL NOT do them.

1 Like

Also these xfit workouts seem absolutely fucking ridiculous dude.

This crossed my mind after the workout. There are two trap bars at the gym and they’re not too popular. I thought I’d try the front squat; it’s the first time doing them since surgery. I suspected they contributed to my torn labrum so I tried to decrease the depth but they still hurt. My hip still aches (mostly muscles, I think).

I hope they are because they’re kicking my ass. The notes for today’s fun said each round should be completed in 2 minutes. I think I was hanging close to that. I could finish the round in 1:40 early on but I had to rest after front squats. I guess I only added four minutes of extra rest to the workout (over seven sets). I’ll take it.

It takes me about half as long as the workout to recover. I propped myself against the post on the power rack and ate Starbursts until my heart rate was down and I didn’t feel like dying.

I only did about 30 minutes of training but I was at the gym for over an hour :laughing:

5 Likes

If you were to calculate actual lifting time in a conventional lifting program, like the one you were just on prior to this, I bet it’d be far less than 30 minutes out of an hour. That’s a really high work to rest ratio with the exercises you’re doing. Your heart will thank you if it doesn’t explode.

2 Likes

I’m testing out those age predicted max HR equations.

Sorry turned out to be a longer rant :slight_smile:

They are only guidelines.
Max heart rate is max heart rate.
Like if you where doing a steady easy pace 3K run and in the end you had a hill for 200-300 meters you would then increase speed ending the last 20 - 30 m full sprint, then you would have a very precise max heart rate.
I did a lot of studying on this when I was bike racing.
From 30 years or something until I was about 40 my max heart rate was 206 - 208 PBM, my resting heart rate was much more fluctuate when I was at my very best my resting heart rate was below 30 PBM, most of the time it was between 32 - 36 PBM, when overtrained or sick it could go as high as 50 PBM.
if you’re doing conditioning training you can use those numbers to establish in which zone you would like to train.
Some of my fellow racers had max HR as low as 170 as I recall but not sure some even lower.
but the resting heart rate for the most of us where almost identical.

If you would like to see if you get into better condition you should every morning before getting out of bed read your resting heart rate. If you have a heart rate monitor on the wrist, sleep with it and every day see what the lowest number for the night was and also the wake up heart rate.
If this number is getting lower you’re getting in better shape, if it raises either you shape is worse or you about to getting to over training territory or your getting sick… this does not apply for a single reading but if the heart rate over 3 - 5 or more days is staying high there might be a reason.

So Max heart rate is something you’ll rarely see unless you sprint a lot.

The heart rate you would like to find and one you can alter is the oxygen threshold heart rate.
working over that line you’re going into working without oxygen and has a limited amount of time here before your effort is slowing down, due to lactic acid. Working under that line you can go on for almost ever.

Working in the CF territory is a matter of working very close to that line and being able to restore the lactic acid build up, due to very good conditioning. Meaning you work just over the threshold and when you rest the heart rate drops rapidly by 10+ beats and from here it drops even further quite quickly. When not so good conditioned your heart rate stays high for longer and the drop is slower.

If you’ve come this far I’m sorry for the long rant and if you want I can elaborate even more :wink:

3 Likes