Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Hulk sounds legit.

As I look at it I see that Hulk is going to have 50 power cleans at 185 compared to 50 at 135. It also has 70 burpees compared to 50…

Hmmm… I have to decide if more rounds of less reps is a good or bad tradeoff compared to Black and Blue.

I noticed yesterday that burpees really start to suck around rep 9.

3 Likes

I agree.

6 Likes

It’s apparent that the people who come up with these favorite CrossFit exercises are small. Large, muscular people don’t enjoy copious amounts of burpees, muscle ups, box jumps, or handstand push ups.

3 Likes

Totally agree here

1 Like

Hulk Hogan - 1

Me - 0

I made it 7 rounds as prescribed (except for chest to bar pull ups - I just did regular pull ups) before I fell behind.

• Rounds 1-3 weren’t bad.
  • Round 4 told me I was in for a long haul.
  • Round 5 was the beginning of the end. I nearly missed my 5th rep of power cleans.
  • Round 6 told me the end was near. I’d been finishing everything in 60-75 seconds up to this point (giving me 45-60 sec of rest). That ended here. The 1 min timer beeped on my way to burpees.
  • Round 7 was the end and I knew it. I couldn’t start the power cleans on time. I had to rest between reps because I was losing my air between the pull and catch. I finished with about 20-30 sec left in the round. I accepted my fate and called it.

Total Work in 14 min:

• 35 power cleans @ 185
  • 21 pull ups
  • 49 burpees
7 Likes

Better than me. You inspired me to try hulk Hogan but I only got 5 rounds done and I even had to use the women’s weights on power cleans.

2 Likes

Nice! We’ve got work to do. Did you go all out and do the reps as fast as possible for longer rest or did you spread the work out?

I have to rest after burpees so I think I’d do worse if I paced it. I took about 10-15 sec between cleans and pull ups and probably the same before starting burpees - - just enough rest to stop hyperventilating.

The cleans started to get to me at the end.

After round 5 it crossed me mind to take a 5 min break and finish.

I went as fast as possible, which might have been a mistake. I might have been able to do 1 or 2 more rounds but I did it before a workout so I wanted to save a little bit of energy. Even so it drained me. Even fran was less tiring

1 Like

What was the hardest part for you? For me the power cleans were the worst part

I hate burpees so I’ll say they were the worst. That was more mental though. It was tough to force myself to start the set.

Physically it was the cleans in the late rounds. My quads were tired and I didn’t want to give it a good pull which made the catch even harder.

1 Like

I think I’m going to make it a goal to get all 10 rounds

1 Like

I’m debating on being stupid like you guys sometime, maybe tomorrow.

Man it’s been awhile since I’ve done a clean or a burpee! This should be interesting…

1 Like

How about this one: 1 burpee in less than 10 minutes :slight_smile:
I hate burpees…
Looks like a though one that Hulk wod.
I would take a small break between each exercise, just to catch a bit of air and replenish some ATP energy.

Burpees are like riding a bike I guess. I’m doing alright and I haven’t done them in awhile.

The rate of breathing forces a small break. I basically held my breath during pull ups. I figured out I can hyperventilate through all parts of a burpee and keep moving.

1 Like

6.29.18 CFE Day 12

Woke at 240.8 or 241.8 lbs. I don’t remember which one.

I’m working a baseball game after work so I won’t be doing much today. I get off at 5 and I have to be there by 6. I’m considering doing a good old fashioned bodybuilding workout on my lunch break. If I do then I’ll just hit upper body. It’s no fun doing legs in 30 minutes in work clothes. Today’s Invictus workout doesn’t look terrible but I don’t have any way to do it. I’d rather take the day off than train at 4 am, work for 15 hours, and then get a short night of sleep before doing it all again tomorrow (another game right after work).

I have four good days of training under my belt for the week. I might have to wait til Sunday to do another CrossFit session.

Here’s today’s workout. I might do it Sunday after work.
June 29, 2018 – Performance

A.
Every 2 minutes, for 16 minutes (8 sets):
Hang Clean x 1 rep
Start at around 65-70% of your 1-RM, and try to build by 2-3% per set.
B.
For time:
Row 1500 Meters
15 Hang Cleans (225/135 lbs)
30 Alternating Pistols (single-leg squats)

or the FITNESS conditioning WOD

B.
For time:
Row 1500 Meters
immediately followed by…
10 rounds of:
6 Kettlebell Swings
6 Goblet Squats

As you can see I’m still bouncing back and forth between the FITNESS and PERFORMANCE category. It seems that I prefer the PERFORMANCE strength WOD but the FITNESS conditioning WOD.

Last night I realized that I prefer a Rounds for Time WOD over an EMOM. At least on the RFT WOD’s I can control the tempo. I’m not in good enough shape to keep up with the paces used in some of these WOD’s. Wednesday was a 2:1 work to rest ratio and last night was close to a 1:1 ratio. I probably need a 1:2 work to rest ratio.

4 Likes

Lunch Break Training

CABLE ROW
150 x 10 x 3
170 x 8 x 3
superset with
BENCH PRESS
135 x 10 x 2
185 x 10
225 x 5, 5, 4

OHP
115 x 5
125 x 5
135 x 4
superset with
LAT PULL DOWN
150 x 10 x 3

PUSH PRESS
135 x 5 x 2
superset with
UNDERHAND PULL DOWN
170 x 8 x 2

3 Likes

Almost going to the Dark horse Big J
Next time throw in a little core work after the pressing and start the OPH and push press with the pull down and you’re there.

Pretty neat little lunch break workout.
You mentioned working out in your work clothes, isn’t that uncomfortable, I mean don’t you get sweaty ?

Yes it is. But the sweat doesn’t stop when I quit lifting. I don’t have enough time to cool down before going back to work so I just head to the car and turn the air conditioner up. The heat index has also been over 100 degrees F for several days here. It really doesn’t matter.

30 minutes isn’t long enough to do what I want but it’s better than skipping a session altogether. I just wanted to use my muscles. I’ll take today off. My plan to do yesterday’s CrossFit workout tomorrow after work isn’t looking good. I didn’t get to bed til midnight last night and had to get up at 6. I’m worn out. I worked an extra 5.25 hours at the ball game. I’m going back tonight for another one.

Picking up that extra check for the games is the only thing that keeps me going. I made $210 last night. I’ll make at least $160 tonight and that’s if the game is short. It’s helping me to offset the cost of my tattoo :slight_smile:

1 Like

6.30.18 CFE Day 13

Woke at 240.8 lbs.

As I mentioned above I won’t be working out today. I’m worn out from yesterday. Work seems like it’s going to suck. There were three separate homicides last night so apparently the city has lost its damn mind. It’ll be over 100 deg F again today so I’m sure people will be crabby. I know I am.

2 Likes