T Nation

Redefining Dad Bod (JMaier31)

bodybuilding
strength
performance

Instagram and Facebook don’t like it when you embed music. They keep muting it due to copyright. The first time I used Volbeat it slipped past them so I thought I’d try again but they caught it this time :smile:

I’m going to do it again. I just want to bring up my conditioning and maybe shed a bit of fat. Call it a mini cut but the only change will be my training. I’m still going to eat the same. Once I’m ready to truly bulk again I’ll start it but I should be able to keep my conditioning since I’ll be in better shape.

@mortdk @JMaier31 you guys have me wondering what is next. I still have 6 weeks of direct training with this program but it’s not too soon to think about what is next. Football season will start soon and then I will need a plan I can run with two days off Thurs/Fri game days.

How much time in the gym does this CT plan take? Is it a 4 day plan where I can stack two days together day off then two days and off two?

I may need to switch to a Hypertrophy block, but I want to do that around the holidays when calories will naturally be high…

Try CT’s simple strength program.
It’s been doing Big J here some good results.
I think it will be my next.

This program was written as a Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat program but CT’s basic principles are to never train two days in a row and not take two days in a row off. I know that doesn’t fit with your Thurs/Fri schedule, but I’m sure you could still see progress with it.

I set my timer for 100 sec rest on squats and 60 sec rest for everything else (including deadlifts). For the first three phases (weeks 1-9) you do three sets on day 1/2 and five sets on day 3/4. The day 1/2 workouts took me around 40-50 minutes (some days I can knock them out in 30). I could get up to 70-80 minutes on the longer days so I scheduled those on my days off.

If you have to have two days off in a row then you could try a Tues/Wed/Sat/Sun routine. That’d let you do the longer workouts on the weekends.

You could also just do a full body program through the football season and train Mon/Wed/Sat. I’d be happy to share my full body 5/3/1 program I was running before my surgery. But you’re also getting to the point where you know what you like so you could design your own program around your schedule. It doesn’t have to fit into one week. It might take 8 or 9 days to get through everything once (i.e. doing a 4 day/week program by lifting 3 days/week).

Long ass day at work and we even had decent staffing. I was supposed to max out on power clean but I figured it would be less than stellar after working 10 hours in the heat. I’ll try it on Monday.

Training @ Home After Work

SQUAT
185 x 5 x 2
235 x 2 x 2
245 x 5
275 x 4
305 x 3
335 x 2 belt on
365 x 1 Not quite as deep as usual but I’ll take it.

POWER CLEAN
185 x 2 x 2
235 x 1 x 2 sets

CLEAN PULL
275 x 2
325 x 2

DEADLIFT (belt, straps, sleeves for all sets)
345 x 5
375 x 4
405 x 3
435 x 2
460 x 1 This is all the weight I have.

And that was it for the day. We had a work gathering at our FOP Union lake. I didn’t plan on going so I didn’t even bother to tell my wife but I decided I should make an appearance because I had no good reason to skip it. I had a good time but I’m afraid my wife was irritated by it (mostly for not telling her until yesterday morning).

I might try to max on power cleans Monday and depending on how I feel I might throw 545 on the deadlift bar and see what happens.

Work has started out terribly this morning. We have six officers (minimum is 7 but I’m not in charge) and 2nd shift has three officers (minimum is 4). We have nine beats to cover in our Bureau so ideally we’d have seven to nine officers on each shift. Summer is in full swing in terms of temperatures and call load. It’s going to be another long day.

Wasn’t it never to train more than two days in a row?

Yes. I was typing too fast and left some words out LOL.

All good man. I’ll keep it in mind. I can always go to build the monolith it is a three day program. Maybe a Mon, Wed, Sat type of thing. May just have to cut back on the number of days I train. Uggh

If you go full body then you won’t mind three days a week. There’s no time for fluff so you just stick to big movements. Something about it feels primal…

I threw on some cargo shorts and a Grunt Style t-shirt for church tonight and I felt like a rolly poly. Everything is snug.

Contrary to my belief I think my arms have grown. It might not be muscle but my shirts are getting tighter.

Fat guy in a little coat…

Woke at 242.2 lbs.

I tried to squeeze in my upper body workout but it got cut short.

BENCH
135 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 4
245 x 3
265 x, 2
285 x 1
superset with
PENDLAY ROW
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 5
215 x 4
225 x 3
235 x 2
245 x 1
It’s possible that I was doing 10 lbs more. The 45s I used had 50 written on them.

OHP
115 x 5
130 x 4
145 x 3
superset with
NEUTRAL PULL UPS
+30 x 5
+45 x 4
BW x 10
Had to go to a call so that’s the end of the workout.

It was tough to get excited about today’s session. It’s the last workout of the program and I hit all my highlights earlier in the week. This session was just to finish and do some work. Nothing sexy about it.

Work been as bad as you thought it would be?

Yes. Our city is split into four Bureaus and we all have our own radio channel. We have North, South, East and West Bureaus. It’s rare for one bureau to have to take calls in another bureau. And even if I get dispatched to another bureau someone from that bureau will stop what they’re doing and disregard me so I don’t have to do work in their part of town. It’s a mutual thing. We all try to not to have other people do work where we’re responsible.

Yesterday we had all three bureaus covering calls and taking reports on our side of town. Everyone got their asses kicked—a couple officers almost literally. Some meth head didn’t want to listen and didn’t go down after being shot by a Taser FOUR TIMES. He was so high it didn’t affect him. And then he start attacking the officers (not just trying to escape). That tied up some resources for awhile and that’s when things went crazy so we had to call the other bureaus over to help.

Holy crap!!! What is it with the hot weather and chaos??? Well hope you have a bit of time off soon, sounds like you will need it after today!

Holy shit, sounds like a crazy day at work mate. Bloody druggies are a nightmare, we have a massive problem with ice here, just hoping my son and his mates stay away from the shit.
I commend you for the job you do mate, you must have so may stories to tell about the scum you have to deal with.

Guaranteed Simple Strength & Size Review Day and Check-In
I’ll be writing up a review and posting it in CT’s forum but I’ll also drop my stuff here to keep the log up to date. I put together side by side photos to show my physique right before surgery, when I got released to lift normally (12 weeks post-op), and from today.

I should really start flexing or posing because I think I just look like a fatter version of myself. I’m sure there’s some muscle there somewhere but it doesn’t stand out too much. I’m not an Instagram model but maybe I should take a page out of their book and start using favorable lighting and flexing or something. Anyway, here we go…

Here’s the physique check-in. I’ll post the weights later because I plan to max on power clean today. If I feel good after that then I’m going to attempt a 545 deadlift with the deadlift bar.

The goal for this process is to get back to that low body fat from December but at a heavier weight. Even if I fail at that my strength is up so it’s not all for nothing.

EDIT: my weights from left to right are 219.0, 224.6, 242.0.

The back looks more developed. Legs are bigger. Solid gains man! Crush that lift!

Look better heavier, just sayin.

I want those traps to grow! I did notice that my legs are much bigger; so is my ass. I’ll post the measurements later.

Thanks! It’s more fun eating at this weight :smile:

Right on JM, you definitely don’t look 20lbs fatter, so you’re doing something right!