Red Wine and Feeling Horrible?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Ahhh nothing in the world like being wine drunk.

Wickedest fucking hangover this side of anything. [/quote]

But have you tried being drunk on Port? Fortified wine is so good!

Im not a drinker either, I may drink once every 3 or 4 years. Have never been able to drink wine. If I drink it’s either chocolate martinis or shots of tequilla but I HAVE to start off with a White Russian or I’ll be sick all night.

it’s not due to sulfites. again sulfites don’t affect people unless they are allergic -in which case he wouldn’t be able to breath and would probably need a shot of epinephrine. it’s a totally different situation than just feeling like shit the next day. there can be alot of volatile compounds in young red wine that make you feel bad but sulfites is not one of them. btw the color makes no difference. all wine has sulfites, even wine that says “no sulfites added” still contains sulfites as S02 is a byproduct of fermentation.

thanks for the info swivel…thats what I was looking for…

[quote]swivel wrote:
it’s not due to sulfites. again sulfites don’t affect people unless they are allergic -in which case he wouldn’t be able to breath and would probably need a shot of epinephrine. it’s a totally different situation than just feeling like shit the next day. there can be alot of volatile compounds in young red wine that make you feel bad but sulfites is not one of them. btw the color makes no difference. all wine has sulfites, even wine that says “no sulfites added” still contains sulfites as S02 is a byproduct of fermentation. [/quote]

There are grey areas with allergic reactions. It’s not nothing or anaphylaxis.

[quote]BodyBldgBabe wrote:
Im not a drinker either, I may drink once every 3 or 4 years. Have never been able to drink wine. If I drink it’s either chocolate martinis or shots of tequilla but I HAVE to start off with a White Russian or I’ll be sick all night. [/quote]

I’ll take another caucasian, Gary.

[quote]Dopamineloveaffair wrote:

There are grey areas with allergic reactions. It’s not nothing or anaphylaxis.[/quote]

yeah, you’re right. but even a mild allergic reaction would be an itchy throat or some hives or breathing trouble…unless this happened it probably wasn’t sulfites. besides the op would know he reacts to them as they are in alot of different foods he has surely consumed before now. my point is the blame foisted on sulfites in red wine in particular is usually incorrect. especially by those who say they can drink white but not red.

to the op: what wines were you drinking btw ?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
BodyBldgBabe wrote:
Im not a drinker either, I may drink once every 3 or 4 years. Have never been able to drink wine. If I drink it’s either chocolate martinis or shots of tequilla but I HAVE to start off with a White Russian or I’ll be sick all night.

I’ll take another caucasian, Gary.[/quote]

The Dude abides…

[quote]swivel wrote:
Dopamineloveaffair wrote:

There are grey areas with allergic reactions. It’s not nothing or anaphylaxis.

yeah, you’re right. but even a mild allergic reaction would be an itchy throat or some hives or breathing trouble…unless this happened it probably wasn’t sulfites. besides the op would know he reacts to them as they are in alot of different foods he has surely consumed before now. my point is the blame foisted on sulfites in red wine in particular is usually incorrect. especially by those who say they can drink white but not red.

[/quote]

yes I did not have any of these, “itchy throat or some hives or breathing trouble”

swivel when I read this part of what you wrote…it hit home…I am 90% confident this was me, "if you were drinking big $80 trophy cabs i have no doubt you feel like shit if they weren’t at least ten years old…all that tannin and astringent new oak sucking at your insides. " as I was not drunk at ALL…it was not execess alcohol…it was more this feeling right at the end of the night…

ill get you the names shortly…have to call my buddy.

[quote]swivel wrote:

[/quote]

1999 plump jack
1999 Dunn Howell Mountain
2002 etude (st. helena) 16 barrells produced.
2002 Pahlmeyer Cab
?? Torbreck Run Rig (very limited) About $200+ a btl
And a french wine that was supposed be good but drank like crap…dont know the name

Port wine hits me HARD everytime…

Are you just not a normal wine drinker? That can be it, too, you know. Plenty of guys who slam down beers like water but are pussies with wine, only because the body isn’t used to it. I can drink scotch and tequila just fine but can’t handle beer as well. Funny, huh?

And wine hangovers are NOT the worst…try champagne mixed with ANY other drink. That’s a test right there.

I do love my henessy side cars, though…but can never have more than two.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
swivel wrote:

1999 plump jack
1999 Dunn Howell Mountain
2002 etude (st. helena) 16 barrells produced.
2002 Pahlmeyer Cab
?? Torbreck Run Rig (very limited) About $200+ a btl
And a french wine that was supposed be good but drank like crap…dont know the name[/quote]

jeesus …awesome wines but green ! on the one hand, it’s really great you got to try that stuff. on the other, it’s a shame to open those wines before they’ve had a chance to become the enjoyable drinks they should be. as for the hangover -next time get a steak in you first. and then make friends with the cheese…lots of it.