Red Wine and Feeling Horrible?

Let me start by saying I don’t drink much except during the holidays…

last weekend at a party I had a few Spike Shooters and vodkas…ended up having a great evening and the next day I was a bit tired but no issues at all…

last night at a party I had a few glasses of red wine (I think cabs mostly) and I felt like death at the end of the party and this morning…everyone else like 8 people had no issues at all and they all drank more then I did…

could I be allergic to something in the red wine???

anyone have a similar experience?

Ahhh nothing in the world like being wine drunk.

Wickedest fucking hangover this side of anything.

A lot of people I know get headaches after drinking even 2-3 glasses of red wine. But it’s usually the cheaper red wine.

[quote]TKL wrote:
…But it’s usually the cheaper red wine. [/quote]

Beer can be cheap and still be a good refreshing drink,while
with wine it’s another story : wine must be good (read expensive).

Personally I don’t get too hung over on red wine but if I do have too much I get serious joint ache like I have the flu.

Unlike many drinks it actually reduces blood glucose so I have to watch out for hypo’s on it - I assume it has a similar effect on non-diabetics which may explain the more serious morning after symptoms that many people feel.

I’ve never drunk red wine before. The question for me becomes… why do people drink it?

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
I’ve never drunk red wine before. The question for me becomes… why do people drink it?[/quote]

Even a moderately priced bottle properly paired with a great steak makes the steak taste 10X as good.

[quote]TKL wrote:
A lot of people I know get headaches after drinking even 2-3 glasses of red wine. But it’s usually the cheaper red wine. [/quote]

this stuff was definitely on the higher end. it was a wine party and bottle were atleast 80 bucks retail not restuarant cost.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Personally I don’t get too hung over on red wine but if I do have too much I get serious joint ache like I have the flu.[/quote]
Thats it! thats what I had everything just ached! low back, feet, head…

[quote]Renton wrote:
Unlike many drinks it actually reduces blood glucose so I have to watch out for hypo’s on it - I assume it has a similar effect on non-diabetics which may explain the more serious morning after symptoms that many people feel.[/quote]

hmmm…i need to research this a bit…

[quote]mtotry wrote:

last weekend at a party I had a few spikeshooters and vodkas…ended up having a great evening and the next day I was a bit tired but no issues at all…

last night at a party I had a few glasses of red wine (I think cabs mostly) and I felt like death at the end of the party and this morning…everyone else like 8 people had no issues at all and they all drank more then I did…

anyone have a similar experience?[/quote]

Well, thousands of us have a similar experience
[i]
Headache. 1995 Jun;35(6):355-7.Links
Relationships between food, wine, and beer-precipitated migrainous headaches.

Peatfield RC.
Princess Margaret Migraine Clinic, Charing Cross Hospital, London, England.
Five hundred seventy-seven consecutive patients attending the Princess Margaret Migraine Clinic from 1989 to 1991 have been questioned about dietary precipitants of their headaches. Four hundred twenty-nine patients had migraine, of which 16.5% reported that headaches could be precipitated by cheese or chocolate, and nearly always both. Of the migraine patients, 18.4% reported sensitivity to all alcoholic drinks, while another 11.8% were sensitive to red wine but not to white wine; 28% of the migrainous patients reported that beer would precipitate headaches. There was a definite statistical association between sensitivity to cheese/chocolate and to red wine (P < 0.001) and also to beer (P < 0.001), but none between diet sensitivity and sensitivity to alcoholic drinks in general.

None of 40 patients with tension headache (diagnosed by International Headache Society criteria) reported sensitivity to foods, and only one was sensitive to alcoholic drinks. The prevalence of sensitivity among 46 patients with some migrainous features was intermediate between the migraine and tension headache categories.

It is concluded that cheese/chocolate and red wine sensitivity, in particular, have closely related mechanisms, in some way related more to migraine than to more chronic tension-type headache, while quite separate mechanisms play a major role in sensitivity to alcoholic drinks in general.
PMID: 7635722 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/i]

Note: Vodka and Spike are low in tyramines, histamines, sulfites, etc.
And all this is disputable. There are also articles denying the association, and articles that support red wine headache in non-migraneurs.

[quote]DrSkeptix wrote:

And all this is disputable. There are also articles denying the association, and articles that support red wine headache in non-migraneurs.[/quote]

my friends mentioned this…Vodka and Spike are low in tyramines, histamines, sulfites, etc. and red wine is full of sulfites that somepeople like myself must have a problem with…

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
I’ve never drunk red wine before. The question for me becomes… why do people drink it?[/quote]

Cause it’s cheap and it fucks you up. Wine drunk is a lot of fun.

I don’t drink wine anymore. If I am on the piss I’m pretty careful with what I drink. Either vodka and juice or a quality low carb beer.

But if I over do it, or don’t hit the water after, I can still wake up feeling pretty damn average the next day.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Wine drunk is a lot of fun.[/quote]

Only because it makes you horny as fuck.

[quote]mtotry wrote:
DrSkeptix wrote:

And all this is disputable. There are also articles denying the association, and articles that support red wine headache in non-migraneurs.

my friends mentioned this…Vodka and Spike are low in tyramines, histamines, sulfites, etc. and red wine is full of sulfites that somepeople like myself must have a problem with…[/quote]

it’s not sufites though everyone blames them. sulfites are only a problem if you are allergic, in which case you’d be in the hospital long be your hangover kicked in.

you do have to drink quality wine to skip the hangover…quality doesn’t necessarily mean price…more like proper age for whatever style of wine you have. if you were drinking big $80 trophy cabs i have no doubt you feel like shit if they weren’t at least ten years old…all that tannin and astringent new oak sucking at your insides.

big wines like cab, especially higher-end artisinal cabs that are likely bottled unfined and unfiltered need at least a decade before they smooth out enough to drink. unfortunately most people and most restaurants are just too impatient/greedy to do otherwise. that said no red wine will give you the minimal hangover you get with vodka but it shouldn’t be any more than beer or whiskey.

i try to avoid any wine that is not served out of a box

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
i try to avoid any wine that is not served out of a box[/quote]

Oh hell fucking yea. There’s nothing that says, “Good fucking time” like a fat chick and a bag of wine. Man, if that ain’t heaven, then I don’t know what is.

[quote]mtotry wrote:

last weekend at a party I had a few Spike Shooters and vodkas…ended up having a great evening and the next day I was a bit tired but no issues at all…

anyone have a similar experience?[/quote]

Stop whinning and crying over that shit!
Drink more red wine and build up the tolearance!

I drink a glass of moderatly priced wine every evening. I find even one glass makes me feel a lot less anxious the next day. It’s also the healthiest thing you can drink.

It’s due to the sulfites. Red wine sensitivity is caused by a deficiency of molybdenum. Molybdenum is a co-factor of the enzyme sulfite oxidase.

It’s best to buy it on it’s own since the amounts in a multi are generally too small. 500mcg per day should be more than enough. The brand I use is Carlson’s.