Red, White and Blue PWO Shake

Currently my PWO shake consists of 60 grams whey protein… lots of blueberries, strawberries, and a banana, 1 scoop Power Drive, 1 small container of fruit yogurt and a 5g of BCAA’s

was wondering what ppl thought of this

specifically i was wondering if all the fruit was possibly a bad idea because of the fiber in it slowing digestion?

It doesn’t seem optimal. The glucose isn’t the best PWO carb source because it doesn’t really refill glycogen, and it doesn’t spike insulin like dextrsoe of malto would.

Why not use Surge? If you can’t afford it, get some dextrose and malto (both are cheap) from anywhere and mix with your whey and BCAA’s.

Power Drive is great, BCAA’s are great, but fruit isn’t best carb source.

But, on the other hand, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. (Is it working for you?)

well it has been until recently im plateauing around 190-195 (from 155 9months ago) depending on my bodyfat…

maybe i will try buying some malto and dextrose… and recommendations on the amount per gram of protein?

When I did mix my own, it was 50/50 malto&dextrose, with a 2:1 carb to proten ratio.

[quote]rsg wrote:
When I did mix my own, it was 50/50 malto&dextrose, with a 2:1 carb to proten ratio.[/quote]

Same here.

Except I vary my carb/protein ratio based upon if it’s a high, med, or low carb day.

I’m a big fan of malto/dextrose.

It seems to me your shake could use some.

That ass in your avatar looks tasty…I’d take some of that PWO anyday

I haven’t taken Power Drive in a while but wouldn’t that be better before training?

If you can’t get Surge for some reason I feel there are 2 other options I would use:

1. get a big tub of powdered gatorade, it mixes easy, tastes good and is cheap.

2. Mix it with grape juice. It has shown to have a high insulin index.

bill

[quote]BillO21 wrote:

[/quote]

I see Gatorade recommended post-workout on occasion, but it doesn’t make sense since it’s not supposed to be high insulin carb source.

Unless, however, they’ve changed the formula.

thanks for the responses looks like ill have to get some malto and dextrose

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
BillO21 wrote:

I see Gatorade recommended post-workout on occasion, but it doesn’t make sense since it’s not supposed to be high insulin carb source.

Unless, however, they’ve changed the formula.[/quote]

The ingredients list sucrose then dextrose…
Sucrose is a disacc of Glucose and fructose and dextrose is glucose.
So I do believe Surge would be best. Grape juice next and then gatorade.
I don’t know how gatorade could not be a high insulin carb source with those ing… I could be wrong it happens all the time. If you have a link I always like to learn
bill

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
well it has been until recently im plateauing around 190-195 (from 155 9months ago) depending on my bodyfat…

maybe i will try buying some malto and dextrose… and recommendations on the amount per gram of protein?[/quote]

You can use maple syrup or honey. Or rice syrup or molasses.

Use 50-150 grams of carbs, depending the intensity of the workout.

you don’t need 60 gr whey protein plus BCAAs, just one or the other would do.

60 grams of whey protein is way too much for you.
You should use max. 30-40 grams(the rest is going down the toilet anyway), save the rest for later.

thanks for the advice

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
Currently my PWO shake consists of 60 grams whey protein… lots of blueberries, strawberries, and a banana, 1 scoop Power Drive, 1 small container of fruit yogurt and a 5g of BCAA’s

was wondering what ppl thought of this

specifically i was wondering if all the fruit was possibly a bad idea because of the fiber in it slowing digestion?[/quote]

More important than your concern over the fiber slowing digestion is the fact that fructose (which, as we all know, is the main carbohydrate source in fruit) is not an optimal carb source post-workout (or even most times of the day when muscle building is the goal, for that matter).

The body contains two types of glycogen: liver glycogen and muscle glycogen. Fructose can only contribute to refilling liver glycogen and liver glycogen can only be refilled to a certain point, after which it “tops off” and the remaining fructose contributes to various other processes in the body. Some if it can lead to fat gain, but to say it goes directly to fat gain is being overly simplistic. At any rate, what it will not do is help rebuild your muscles.

I’ll save time in telling you what you should probably use instead, as several others have already told you. Just thought you might want to know the “why” along with the “what.”

cool i appreciate the explanation