T Nation

Red Whine

Hey quick question…
I have some real difficulty with sleeping, and I’ve tried a lot of things. I take ZMA and Melatonin w/ no real results. A personal trainer at my gym recommended I drink a glass of red whine before I go to bed at night. I can see how the alcohal would relax someone, but at night I don’t consume carbs especially sugars. He said that red whine doesn’t contain sugars and that it actually draws water out of the body. He is totally shredded at about 4 or 5% so I want to believe this guy. Anybody have a take on this? Thanks

You can’t spell it, you can’t drink it! Them’s the rules! :0) Shugart wrote something on the drug board about alcohol inhibiting REM sleep. I don’t know if one glass of wine (note spelling) would do it, but it doesn’t sound like a habit to get into. You may need more and more to get the same effect. And who cares if the guy is ripped? He may have lean genes.

Carbs before bed will probably help you sleep better – they do for me. And, wine does contain sugars, although I don’t see that as a problem if consumption is kept in moderation.

kill him and eat his brain, you will gain his power and will be able to sleep better.

You’ll sleep even better if you forget about the glass and drink the whole bottle. BTW alcohol has more calories than simple carbs.

LOL.

Go to you doctor and ask for a drug named Clonzepam. It acts on the same receptors that alcohol does(Gaba receptors) and helps you to fall asleep. It is not habit forming and you do not build up a tolerance. Using the same dose night after night will have the same effect. My doctor told me he has patients that have been using the same drug at the same dosages for years with no problems of dependency.

Alcohol inhibits sleep, unless you count being totally passed out as sleep. A glass probably won’t hurt you, though.

I want to add that it’s not so clear, although one doctor may like it, that clonazepam (Klonopin) should be recommended so broadly for sleep problems.

It has a very long half-life, about three DAYS,
and so is hardly selective for helping you
sleep particularly at night. It’s not indicated for this use, but rather for treatment of
panic disorder and seizure disorders. At the
doses used then, somnolence is often but hardly always a side effect. It can decrease mental alterness in the daytime. Cessation of use
can produce withdrawal symptoms.

I thought that Mike’s description above made
it sound a little more problem free than what I understand it to be.