T Nation

RED KAT & Prescription Drugs

I take a myriad of prescription drugs for several problems and I want to try Red Kat. I wondered if anyone knowledgeable on the subject has an expert opinion about potential or likely interactions or if anyone has had any experiences with RED KAT and prescription drugs interacting badly. I take albuterol and Pulmicort for asthma. Claritin and Rhinocort for allergy/rhinitis. Luvox (Fluvoxamine) for OCD and have been taking Lorazepam for anxiety from adjusting the Luvox. I will be off the Lorazepam soon, but pretty much have to take all the others continually for chronic conditions. Any thoughts, experiences, or informed opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
I take a myriad of prescription drugs for several problems and I want to try Red Kat. I wondered if anyone knowledgeable on the subject has an expert opinion about potential or likely interactions or if anyone has had any experiences with RED KAT and prescription drugs interacting badly. I take albuterol and Pulmicort for asthma. Claritin and Rhinocort for allergy/rhinitis. Luvox (Fluvoxamine) for OCD and have been taking Lorazepam for anxiety from adjusting the Luvox. I will be off the Lorazepam soon, but pretty much have to take all the others continually for chronic conditions. Any thoughts, experiences, or informed opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

The only issue is in respect to the Sclaremax in RED KAT. In terms of a negative interaction with the glucocorticoid compounds, that shouldn’t be an issue. In respect to the loratadine, there shouldn’t be any issues with that either.

The two areas of concern are the beta 2-adrenergic agonist (albuterol) and the SSRI (fluvoxamine). Also, if the loratadine contains pseudoephedrine (i.e., Claritin-D), I’d recommend using Claritin instead.

Anyhow, as I said, the two areas of concern would be the albuterol and fluvoxamine. With the albuterol, the potential increase in heart rate (yes, it’s selective but not THAT selective) can be exacerbated by the Sclaremax. I honestly don’t think this will happen nor have I ever had anyone report any problems, but in theory, it could happen. The reason being that although Sclaremax can increase contractility of the heart, it takes much larger amounts before it begins to exert a chronotropic effect upon the heart. In short, I don’t think this is a concern as the amount of Sclaremax is too low for there to be any problems, but I still think it’s something someone should be aware of.

As for the SSRI, well, the Sclaremax could potentially have an additive effect when combined with the SSRI. This isn’t to say that you’ll experience unique side effects but you may find that you require less of the SSRI for the desired effect. Secondly, there have been cases of hypotension in those using this particular SSRI for OCD. Sclaremax may also decrease blood pressure. So, when the two are combined, one could technically say that the potential for experiencing dizziness, fatigue, fainting, etc., is increased.

If you’ve ever used HOT-ROX, then using RED KAT will be no problem as they both contain Sclaremax. I think it’s also important to note that I’ve received similar questions regarding HOT-ROX over the past few years and in every case, despite people taking the same medications as you, there’s never been a problem reported. Even so, I still feel it’s important that people always be aware of what can potentially happen, even if it’s a 1 in 10,000 occurrence.

Good information, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive answer, I really appreciate it.