Red Blotchy Hands

Friend of mine takes Jolessa® (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol tablets) 0.15 mg / 0.03 mg

An extended-cycle oral contraceptive consisting of 84 pink active tablets each containing 0.15 mg of levonorgestrel, a synthetic progestogen and 0.03 mg of ethinyl estradiol.

During the 7 day off period between the 84 day on period she takes 500mg of Calcium D-Glucarate and 100mg of DIM to help her body rid itself of the excess hormones.

After the 7 day off period she starts the Jolessa again and the palms of her hands start to itch and become red and blotchy for about 30 minutes every morning even though she takes the Jolessa before bed(6-8 hours earlier).

She also takes over the counter allergy medication which she has done for several years.

Any idea what is causing the itchy red blotches on her palms for 30 minutes every morning?

It sounds like there is some hormonal interactions going on. The morning cortisol spike appears to drive some sort of histamine response while in high progesterone/estrogen state.

She needs to see an endocrinologist. But based on the part about allergy meds, I would hazard my guess that the shift in hormone balance is somehow interacting with her histamine response.

Beyond the qualified medical advice she should seek, a couple of simple experiments she can try are deep breathing (into the belly) along with mindfulness and calming type exercises, and/or seeing if dietary modifications help the issue. I also have the thought that ZMA or the like might affect it, but I don’t know why.